Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Tim Cook gave the keynote speech at the Ceres 30th Anniversary Gala in New York City on Monday night. Ceres is a sustainability nonprofit organization, and Cook was invited to share Apple's outlook on the future of sustainable energy.

tim-cook-ceres-gala-october-2019.jpg
Tim Cook at Ceres (Photo credit: @JamesGould21)

To that end, the Apple CEO used his time at the podium to engage issues of sustainability and renewable energy, while framing climate change as an opportunity.

"We don't see climate change as risk, but opportunity," said Cook. "With our supply chain partners, we see a chance to develop new and valuable competencies, because it is the right thing to do."

We can't face challenges by "shrinking our thinking or pulling up the draw bridge," Cook continued, later tweeting: "Companies have a responsibility to use their innovation and agility to lead on the climate crisis."

Companies have a responsibility to use their innovation and agility to lead on the climate crisis. Thank you to Ceres for their work and for this award -- and to @LisaPJackson and the team for driving us all forward. 🌎🌍🌏 - Tim Cook (@tim_cook) October 22, 2019
Big applause for @apple CEO Tim Cook from from @CeresNews because he spoke out -- and stayed in -- when US backed out of Paris climate agreement. He's keynoting at 30th anniversary bash for Ceres. pic.twitter.com/o7mdnH2xZJ - Dave Armon (@daveyarmon) October 22, 2019

Apple has led the way in renewable energy in the corporate world. Apple Park in California is powered by one of the largest onsite corporate solar energy installations, and all of the company's data centers are similarly powered by 100 percent renewable energy, as are its U.S. retail stores, and the large majority of its corporate facilities.

Ceres says that it works with leading investors and companies to "build leadership and drive solutions throughout the economy" as it tackles the world's biggest sustainability challenges, including climate change, water scarcity and pollution.

Note: Due to the political nature of the discussion regarding this topic, the discussion thread is located in our Politics, Religion, Social Issues forum. All forum members and site visitors are welcome to read and follow the thread, but posting is limited to forum members with at least 100 posts.

Article Link: Tim Cook Promotes Sustainability at Ceres Gala in New York City

Last edited:

Veinticinco

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2009
Europe
More like Tim Cook promotes Tim Cook talking about sustainability.

We don't see climate change as risk, but opportunity...," said Cook, before mentioning his beloved subject “supply chain partners”.

Something not quite right about that statement given the context.

Suspended
Jan 11, 2018
He's still doing a better job than the f*ck bags of ""Extinction Rebellion""! Not that that demands much effort, mind you!

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
Maybe Tim Apple can bring up the topic of climate change during his next meeting in China?

The man is completely shameless.
Let’s hope he does.

Maybe Mr. Apple can make some progress because so far things aren’t looking so great.

Apple’s not perfect, and Tim Apple isn’t perfect, but why disregard the 90% good for the 10% bad?

It’s more productive to work on getting that 90% up higher than to just bitch and moan about the 10%.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Sustainability? I'd love a more sustainable product pipeline from Apple than we have now. Come on Tim, let us service, upgrade and repair our Macs instead of treating them like disposables like they have become under your tenure.
How about user replaceable batteries in every Apple product?

Tim, I give you credit.

mattniles007

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2005
Michigan
I find it laughable that Cook can say he cares about environment. He has held several fundraisers for Republicans, who deny climate change is even real. Money over people.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I presume he flew there on Apple's private jet which is of course being fueled by "renewable energy" while building devices that are made to be disposable, not upgradable etc. Do as I say not as I do is on display again.
Tim is required by the board to fly on the private jet. So more like do as the board says.

m4mario

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2017
San Francisco Bay Area
I presume he flew there on Apple's private jet which is of course being fueled by "renewable energy" while building devices that are made to be disposable, not upgradable etc. Do as I say not as I do is on display again.
That is not true. Apple products have good resale value and have longer usage period than any of it’s competitors. Even ones that are no more in use, Apple collects them and recycles for free. Rarely do Apple products end up in the dumpster. Shame on Apple competitors though, because they replicate so many things that Apple does, except this one.

H. Flower

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
I don’t want to hear from him on politics or social issues because he lacks credibility.

Kabeyun

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2004
Eastern USA
I miss Tim talking about technology and me learning something interesting, oh wait.. he never did that because he’s a politician not a product guy.
Wrong. He’s not a politician or a product guy. He’s an infrastructure guy.

Reactions: Feyl

Naraxus

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2016
Sorry Tinkerbell but every word you utter rings completely hollow. You are nothing more than a complete hypocrite using Apple to push your ********. Take your platitudes and shove them where the sun don't shine

benshive

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2017
United States
It's his hypocrisy and virtual signaling that we object to
Yeah, it's terrible that Cook is vocal about the issue of climate change even though the overwhelming scientific consensus agrees with him. And it's super hypocritical that Apple's new headquarters and all of their data centers run on 100% renewable energy. I have a feeling that if all of these people complaining agreed with Cook's politics they would be singing a different tune.

Moonjumper

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2009
Lincoln, UK
I like a lot of what Apple are doing regarding the environment, but they fall far too far short on the first step of the 3 Rs: Repair, Reuse, Recycle.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.