Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

YaBe

Cancelled
Oct 5, 2017
All of us lovers of democracy and freedom ...
No. I really think that a currency should stay in the hands of countries. I'm not comfortable with the idea of a private group setting up a competing currency
So much for freedom and democracy :S

Hey Tim "Apple":

- Democracy (Greek: δημοκρατία dēmokratía, literally "rule by people") the citizens exercise power by voting, in this case with their wallet.

- Freedom, generally, is having the ability to act or change without constraint

So people should WITHOUT contraint vote with their wallet if they want the currency to "stay in the hands of countries", that is what "All of us lovers of democracy and freedom" think.

Ironic that the maker of a Walled Garden advocates for Democracy and Freedom...

Last edited:

opeter

macrumors 68030
Aug 5, 2007
Slovenia
Apple supports immigration because wealthy countries must "accept migrants who are fleeing difficult situations," said Cook.

Well, the migrants want to go Germoney, SwEDEN, etc.
ehm-poor-germoney-icelion-1199779.png

Defthand

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
Is no one curious what Cook considers fake news?

Understandably, most of Cook's opinions are intentionally uncontroversial and nonspecific. He can't risk backlash for him or Apple, even from an "insignificant number of customers". Which makes his comments seem equally fake.

EDIT: On second thought, Cook's opinion about fake news is probably not his own. He's probably relaying what the product manager for Apple News told him in an effort to promote the product.

Last edited:

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
Is it just me, or does it seem like this man is using Apple as his personal soapbox?

You might want to study up on how interviews work; ie the interviewer asks questions, prompting the interviewee to respond with... answers to the questions asked.

m4mario

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2017
San Francisco Bay Area
I do not know how you came up with that... totally untrue.
It is. It’s just a cleverly disguised ponzi scene. The more people buy, the earlier investors make more money. New people buy looking at the success of the earlier investors. At the end, the final major chunk of investors will end up with nothing.
If any of these crypto currencies actually become actual currencies, the original investors will be so rich that they can buy everything in the world. The first buyer who converts all his money to crypto will have so much, even if its only a 1000$. The last guy who converts everything to crypto, will be much poorer, even if he had millions of $. How can common people and governments representing common people allow that to happen?

Last edited:

jableskg

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2008
Bitcoin has been around just over 10 years now with a $200 billion dollar market cap. Institutional investors have skin in the game now. Even full countries. It gets talked about almost every day on CNBC. I'd say its FAR from a Ponzi scheme. Bitcoin doesn't care what Tim Cook thinks.

Reactions: YaBe

m4mario

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2017
San Francisco Bay Area
Bitcoin has been around just over 10 years now with a $200 billion dollar market cap. Institutional investors have skin in the game now. Even full countries. It gets talked about almost every day on CNBC. I'd say its FAR from a Ponzi scheme. Bitcoin doesn't care what Tim Cook thinks.
Exactly what you said. The words use used says it all. It’s an investment tool with a market cap that has no underlying value, in disguise of a currency, which can never become an actual currency because of the way it is designed. No one cares what Tim Cook or I say, until it fails and a whole lot of people loose a whole lot of money. Mark my words, it is bound it fail. It’s only a question of whether it will fall now, with some people loosing some money, or later with a lot of people losing a lot of money.

jableskg

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2008
Exactly what you said. The words use used says it all. It’s an investment tool with a market cap that has no underlying value, in disguise of a currency, which can never become an actual currency because of the way it is designed. No one cares what Tim Cook or I say, until it fails and a whole lot of people loose a whole lot of money. Mark my words, it is bound it fail. It’s only a question of whether it will fall now, with some people loosing some money, or later with a lot of people losing a lot of money.

Fiat currencies are government operated ponzi schemes. You tell me what the US dollar is backed by? Other than the military its backed by thin air. The global monetary system has failed everyone except the 1%'ers... Its not sustainable and you can thank Nixon for decoupling the US dollar from gold. Bitcoin fixes this and until you understand and study global macroeconomics, you'll always be a hater of crypto. Whether you like it or not, you will have to own some Bitcoin at some point. If not Bitcoin AT LEAST get some gold.. DO SOMETHING because fiat currencies are collapsing.

m4mario

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2017
San Francisco Bay Area
Fiat currencies are government operated ponzi schemes. You tell me what the US dollar is backed by? Other than the military its backed by thin air. The global monetary system has failed everyone except the 1%'ers... Its not sustainable and you can thank Nixon for decoupling the US dollar from gold. Bitcoin fixes this and until you understand and study global macroeconomics, you'll always be a hater of crypto. Whether you like it or not, you will have to own some Bitcoin at some point. If not Bitcoin AT LEAST get some gold.. DO SOMETHING because fiat currencies are collapsing.
You are right. Everything is backed by military. But atleast its backed my military. If you buy a car, what makes it your car? What stops me from taking your car and driving it? It’s an elected government with guns. Anything that you call yours, is yours because the government ensures it. If that collapses, you have lot more things to worry about, like your life, and freedom. If you spend too much time in bitcoin forums, it will look like the world is collapsing very soon.

You are right. I can’t keep all my excess money in dollars. That’s not a good idea. But bitcoin ain’t it.

jableskg

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2008
You are right. Everything is backed by military. But atleast its backed my military. If you buy a car, what makes it your car? What stops me from taking your car and driving it? It’s an elected government with guns. Anything that you call yours, is yours because the government ensures it. If that collapses, you have lot more things to worry about, like your life, and freedom. If you spend too much time in bitcoin forums, it will look like the world is collapsing very soon.

You are right. I can’t keep all my excess money in dollars. That’s not a good idea. But bitcoin ain’t it.

I think you fail to understand just how bad the 2008 financial crisis was. It could have been A LOT worse than what it was. Nothing has been fixed since then. The next one we have will be worse. Why do you think China is creating their own crypto?? There will be a new global currency that is digitized and it's not gonna be the US dollar. Paper money is going away and if you wanna continue to support it then go right ahead.
6-1/2 billion people have no access to the global economy. Bitcoin creates an environment that is ripe for innovation, because its not just a currency. Its a technology, a network, and a currency. Even if Bitcoin crashed tomorrow the technology is still revolutionary. Just like if a website fails, or an application fails on the internet, the internet doesn't go away. If you understand that Bitcoin is a technology and not just a currency, you will truly grasp the importance it has. Again, it is not about us. Its about the other 6-1/2 billion people.

m4mario

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2017
San Francisco Bay Area
I think you fail to understand just how bad the 2008 financial crisis was. It could have been A LOT worse than what it was. Nothing has been fixed since then. The next one we have will be worse. Why do you think China is creating their own crypto?? There will be a new global currency that is digitized and it's not gonna be the US dollar. Paper money is going away and if you wanna continue to support it then go right ahead.
6-1/2 billion people have no access to the global economy. Bitcoin creates an environment that is ripe for innovation, because its not just a currency. Its a technology, a network, and a currency. Even if Bitcoin crashed tomorrow the technology is still revolutionary. Just like if a website fails, or an application fails on the internet, the internet doesn't go away. If you understand that Bitcoin is a technology and not just a currency, you will truly grasp the importance it has. Again, it is not about us. Its about the other 6-1/2 billion people.

I agree with you on this. Block chain is the future. I understand the technology and I support it. What I don’t support is the current implementation of this technology in instruments like bitcoin and ethereum, which are designed to make the original creators and early investors insanely rich. Sorry can support such a sceme. Create a crypto currency, that ensures it won’t turn the economy upside down depending on how early or how late you invest in it and I’ll support it. I repeat again, bitcoin is bound to fail, by design. Get out when you can.

Last edited:

jableskg

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2008
I agree with you on this. Block chain is the future. I understand the technology and I support it. What I don’t support is the current implementation of this technology in instruments like bitcoin and ethereum, which are designed to make the original creators and early investors insanely rich. Sorry can support such a sceme. Create a crypto currency, that ensures it won’t turn the economy upside down depending on how early or how late you invest in it and I’ll support it. I repeat again, bitcoin is bound to fail, by design. Get out when you can.

By design its positioned to succeed because it's decentralized unlike everything else in this world and the fact that it's built on a trust. It's the highest performing asset for the last 10 years. Its a scarce digital non-correlated asset, that's built on the most powerful network. Bitcoin is not a get rich quick scheme, its a don't get poorly scheme. It's currently considered a store of value (digital gold), and could very much end up a unit of account/medium of exchange. So many companies building on its 2nd layer and there's just too much going on in my opinion for it to not succeed. I'm not saying go out and buy a full bitcoin. It wouldn't hurt to buy $25 worth. You really don't need that much and quite frankly if you don't want to buy any then at least accumulate Bitcoin through apps like Lolli, Fold, and Pei, that give you Bitcoin cash back on everyday purchases.

"We have elected to put our money and faith in a mathematical framework that is free of politics and human error." - Winklevoss twins

m4mario

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2017
San Francisco Bay Area
By design its positioned to succeed because it's decentralized unlike everything else in this world and the fact that it's built on a trust. It's the highest performing asset for the last 10 years. Its a scarce digital non-correlated asset, that's built on the most powerful network. Bitcoin is not a get rich quick scheme, its a don't get poorly scheme. It's currently considered a store of value (digital gold), and could very much end up a unit of account/medium of exchange. So many companies building on its 2nd layer and there's just too much going on in my opinion for it to not succeed. I'm not saying go out and buy a full bitcoin. It wouldn't hurt to buy $25 worth. You really don't need that much and quite frankly if you don't want to buy any then at least accumulate Bitcoin through apps like Lolli, Fold, and Pei, that give you Bitcoin cash back on everyday purchases.

"We have elected to put our money and faith in a mathematical framework that is free of politics and human error." - Winklevoss twins
You can't keep claiming something is not a get rich scheme when almost everyone buying it are doing it hoping the value of it will go up. End of the day, if bitcoin succeeds, majority of the people who did not invest early will end up super poor, despite having money. Sorry, being an engineer in computer science, I have to protect the common people by fighting against such schemes. Not take advantage of their ignorance and make money out of it.

Its a good idea to put your faith in a mathematical framework. But bitcoin ain't it. Like I said, block chain is the future. But not in this form of implementation. In its current form it will ruin the lives of many, while protecting too few a people.

Reactions: kalsta

jableskg

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2008
You can't keep claiming something is not a get rich scheme when almost everyone buying it are doing it hoping the value of it will go up. End of the day, if bitcoin succeeds, majority of the people who did not invest early will end up super poor, despite having money. Sorry, being an engineer in computer science, I have to protect the common people by fighting against such schemes. Not take advantage of their ignorance and make money out of it.

Its a good idea to put your faith in a mathematical framework. But bitcoin ain't it. Like I said, block chain is the future. But not in this form of implementation. In its current form it will ruin the lives of many, while protecting too few a people.

It’s deflationary by default so it doesn’t matter when you get in. We’ll have to agree to disagree.

m4mario

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2017
San Francisco Bay Area
It’s deflationary by default so it doesn’t matter when you get in. We’ll have to agree to disagree.

The above article shows why bitcoin is not deflationary as argued by its defenders.

There are stable coins such as basecoin, that could actually save the world, but you won't want it as it won't make you rich if it becomes the currency of the world.

jableskg

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2008
The above article shows why bitcoin is not deflationary as argued by its defenders.

There are stable coins such as basecoin, that could actually save the world, but you won't want it as it won't make you rich if it becomes the currency of the world.

A deflationary currency sees prices drop over time as purchasing power increases. Bitcoin is indeed deflationary. You have to zoom out and look at its long term technical analysis. We have all these currencies since Bretton Woods, fluctuating against each other, and maybe the dollar hasn’t gone to zero against these currencies but all of them have gone down 95% versus something that they can’t control like … Gold and Bitcoin

YaBe

Cancelled
Oct 5, 2017
It is. It’s just a cleverly disguised ponzi scene. The more people buy, the earlier investors make more money. New people buy looking at the success of the earlier investors. At the end, the final major chunk of investors will end up with nothing.
If any of these crypto currencies actually become actual currencies, the original investors will be so rich that they can buy everything in the world. The first buyer who converts all his money to crypto will have so much, even if its only a 1000$. The last guy who converts everything to crypto, will be much poorer, even if he had millions of $. How can common people and governments representing common people allow that to happen?
I am sorry, but you do not know what you are talking about, bitcoin and most altcoins are NOT Ponzi scheme, there are some crypto or so called that are ponzi scheme (onecoin / one life for example).

Reactions: jableskg

DearthnVader

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2015
Red Springs, NC
So much for freedom and democracy :S

Hey Tim "Apple":

- Democracy (Greek: δημοκρατία dēmokratía, literally "rule by people") the citizens exercise power by voting, in this case with their wallet.

- Freedom, generally, is having the ability to act or change without constraint

So people should WITHOUT contraint vote with their wallet if they want the currency to "stay in the hands of countries", that is what "All of us lovers of democracy and freedom" think.

Ironic that the maker of a Walled Garden advocates for Democracy and Freedom...
If only currency was in the hands of countries and not the private banking system. ;)

Bug-Creator

macrumors 68000
May 30, 2011
Germany
Fiat currencies are government operated ponzi schemes.

Even if we take that as truth, still doesn't change the fact that crypto is backed up by even less "real" value.

It's very much like DotCom when everybody rushed in based on the idea that the old rules don't count anymore and invested solely on the idea that someone will be paying even more later on ignoring the fact that most companies did not only make no profits but also had no plans how to ever turn a profit.

Bitcoin will implode one day and until than it will continue to be what it is today, high-stake gambling and a way to anonymize payments for illegal goods.

Libra (money controlled by Zuckerberg) is evil in it's purest form.

Someday crypto/blockchain maybe the base for world wide finances, just not in the forms we see today.

jableskg

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2008
Bitcoin will implode one day and until than it will continue to be what it is today, high-stake gambling and a way to anonymize payments for illegal goods

Uhhhh Bitcoin is far from being anonymous. Everything can be traced on the blockchain through chain analysis. You are confusing it with cash which is the most efficient way to pay for illegal goods. In fact law enforcement LOVE Bitcoin because its not anonymous like cash. Do your research

tgwaste

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2013

But what is its VALUE??? I can talk about poop every day but that doesn't make mine valuable. Again.. the only reason why it matters at all is because it's TIED to REAL DOLLARS. As soon as the public realizes its just a phase it'll be back to worthless. Although I suspect it will be outlawed before then.

stylinexpat

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2009
Apple supports immigration because wealthy countries must "accept migrants who are fleeing difficult situations," said Cook.

Well, the migrants want to go Germoney, SwEDEN, etc.
ehm-poor-germoney-icelion-1199779.png
It is true that many migrants are fleeing difficult situations. Sometimes one needs inside sources and facts, not just what the media feeds the people.
[automerge]1570335085[/automerge]
Uhhhh Bitcoin is far from being anonymous. Everything can be traced on the blockchain through chain analysis. You are confusing it with cash which is the most efficient way to pay for illegal goods. In fact law enforcement LOVE Bitcoin because its not anonymous like cash. Do your research
True, Bitcoin is not quite as good as other Cryptocurrencies.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.