Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MattZani

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Apr 20, 2008
UK
Ever since I updated to Yosemite, Time Machine hasn't worked, it's either really slow/stuck, never seeming to get past a few kb of a backup. It's a USB2 External HDD that worked great up until now.

Anyone got any ideas? Or has problems as well?

Alimar

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2014
New York State
Ever since I updated to Yosemite, Time Machine hasn't worked, it's either really slow/stuck, never seeming to get past a few kb of a backup. It's a USB2 External HDD that worked great up until now.

Have you 'Repaired Permissions?' I find that when Time Machine stalls, by entering the backup folder, and deleting the stalled 'in progress' file (which requires the comp PW, and a long trash-dump), then rebooting comp - fixes the problem.

MattZani

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Apr 20, 2008
UK
Have you 'Repaired Permissions?' I find that when Time Machine stalls, by entering the backup folder, and deleting the stalled 'in progress' file (which requires the comp PW, and a long trash-dump), then rebooting comp - fixes the problem.

Got to 110mb and then just hung, progress file wouldn't delete but now has, as had the new one. Time to try again.

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region

Yes. There is a process the controls WiFi and Time Machine and it is the discoveryd process. So disconnect any wireless plus Time Machine and go to /Applications/Utilities/Activity Viewer and restart the discoveryd process. Then turn your wireless and Time Machine back on. Try this to see if it helps.

MattZani

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Apr 20, 2008
UK
Yes. There is a process the controls WiFi and Time Machine and it is the discoveryd process. So disconnect any wireless plus Time Machine and go to /Applications/Utilities/Activity Viewer and restart the discoveryd process. Then turn your wireless and Time Machine back on. Try this to see if it helps.

I don't use a time capsule, it's a USB2 drive but I'll give it a shot.

MattZani

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Apr 20, 2008
UK
Okay, none of the above worked alone, but doing it all at once, then restarting the system seems to have done it.

Mixolyd

macrumors member
Jul 10, 2014
Oregon
Hi, I know this is an old thread but I'm having the same issue ever since updating to El Capitan GM build. Could you tell me what you did to fix it? El Capitan doesn't let you repair file permission. Did you delete the inprogress file and restart discoveryd process, reboot, and that fixed it?

xaosnox

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2018
Thanks for this tip! I didn't have a discoveryd process running, and I could not sudo rm -R the .inprogress directory, but double clicking the .sparsebundle and deleting it in the Finder worked. Old threads have big value!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.