Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

antisomnic

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2012
Rochester, NY
It seems like a lot of people on here poopoo the iPad Air 3, but I am a huge huge fan of it. It does everything I need to do with it. I often use it with a keyboard a mouse like a regular computer. It’s half the price of the very expensive Pros.

Just keep in mind I’ve never owned an iPad Pro. I had regular iPads in the past and then the first 2 budget iPads, so the laminated display alone blew me away when I got it.

Pic of my current set up that I’m using at the moment. Not even a Smart Keyboard, just the super-portable and quiet Logitech Keys-to-go:

Attachments

• F990DE6F-5DCE-44C9-A3F1-4F2418BAB40A.jpeg
    F990DE6F-5DCE-44C9-A3F1-4F2418BAB40A.jpeg
    286.8 KB · Views: 142

Aydy

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2015
I owned the 10.5 iPad Pro (2nd gen) sold it to part fund my current 12.9 iPad (3rd gen)
5 months later I am now going back. Selling my 3rd gen and replacing it with another 2nd gen.

In my time deciding I have found that both the current pro (3rd) and the 10.5 pro (2nd) are practically identical in terms of speed/performance. There is literally no difference in day to day use. Benchmarks score the 3rd gen way higher but those numbers honestly dont translate to actual use. I couldn’t find one incidence where there was a performance difference. Video editing is apparently quicker on the 3rd but that is something I know I am not particularly interested in.

I much prefer the 10.5 form factor. For me, it’s so much easier to manage. Ram is the same on both (4gb) 120hz refresh rate is also a feature of both devices as are the quad speaker setup. They both sound excellent (the 3rd gen sounds superior)

FaceID, I like it on my iPhone but hate it on a 12.9 iPad. It fails more often than not for me, that’s likely something unique to each user. I tend to use my iPad in different orientation and often when laying in bed and find a 12.9” iPad cumbersome and am continually blocking the FaceID sensors. I really miss touchID.

I can buy a 2nd gen pro for half the price and it is clearly the more convenient device for me. I won’t miss FaceID or the magnetic pencil support. The logical conclusion, in my case, is to Re-purchase the iPad I was completely happy with.

Worth mentioning my initial 10.5 had none of the issues with bright spotting. I can only hope my next pro is similarly unaffected.

Reactions: NorthSeaBeach
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.