Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

techno-Zen

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2015
Gilbert, AZ
Simply stunning. Love my SBTi!
I’m on the fence. I do find it very similar to the space gray aluminum sport I used for a while. It does feel somewhat less premium than the SS.

amazon has the space black at $669 which is over $200 less in cost so I ordered that. I do miss having a space black SS so I may return this titanium model. I do love the shimmer of the case in the light but 95% of the time I don’t see it.

it’s going to be a tough call.. I don’t really care so much about the price tag but I just think the SS weight and shine make it feel more of a premium product. I wish apple made the crown/ecg contact more unique on the sbti because it really is tough to see the difference between that and the SG aluminum outside of bright lighting. Just a shade darker really

Reactions: rMBP2013

Robbenisland

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2015
IMG_1589.jpeg

Interesting size comparison: I have the 40mm Ceramic S5 and wanted to also see the 40mm SBTi. As expected based on the specs (slightly larger case) and the fact that white always looks bigger, the Ceramic looks and feels considerably bigger in 40mm than the SBTi - which sealed my decision for me, as I am between 40 and 44mm. So now keeping the 40mm Ceramic.

Attachments

• IMG_1586.jpeg
    IMG_1586.jpeg
    558.8 KB · Views: 164
Reactions: the future

techno-Zen

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2015
Gilbert, AZ
I'm having a hard time deciding between the SBTi and the SSSB..

I know I love the SSSB but this SSTi keeps pulling me back when I know in looks its so close to the aluminum.

Otflyer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2017
SF Bay Area

I know I love the SSSB but this SSTi keeps pulling me back when I know in looks its so close to the aluminum.
Are you saying you want the SBTi or SSBS but, are pulled back to SSTi (natural Ti)? Kinda confusing. I bought the natural Ti and love it. It doesn’t look like aluminum at all. The aluminum is much whiter with a mat finish. If anything, it looks more like brushed stainless. The SBTi looks like aluminum to me. Go look at them side by side if you have access to an Apple store near by.

Last edited:

richard371

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
Get what makes you happy on the inside. I went SBTi. I could care less if someone thinks its aluminum. Its just an AW. They all look pretty much the same.

Reactions: supertomtom

techno-Zen

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2015
Gilbert, AZ
Get what makes you happy on the inside. I went SBTi. I could care less if someone thinks its aluminum. Its just an AW. They all look pretty much the same.
I don't really care what anyone else thinks.. I just personally don't see much of a distinction when I wear it - with the SSSB that black, glossy finish just gets me every time I put it on.

I am 100% getting a Series 6 so my decision rests on resale value hit. Being $200 cheaper, I'm keeping the SSSB. If I were to keep a watch for 2-3 years the SSTi would've been my choice.

I have to say, to anyone worried about scratching on the SbTi.. don't worry! I hammered it on a concrete wall, full blown scratched to hell and all marks just rubbed off. I was blown away! The DLC is a gift from the tech gods!

Last edited:

Otflyer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2017
SF Bay Area
I have the natural Ti and don’t worry about scratching it. Had an S0 SS for more than two years. It accumulated tons of micro scratches but, that didn’t worry me. Had my Ti since launch and it’s still perfect.

maka344

macrumors 68020
Nov 4, 2009
London, UK

The SBSS is stunning but not new - I’ve had it for a couple of generations so when the SBTi came out I knew I wanted the change.

Attachments

• 17ACD974-701D-499E-B541-A1B32FFDBEC8.jpeg
    17ACD974-701D-499E-B541-A1B32FFDBEC8.jpeg
    456.7 KB · Views: 325

techno-Zen

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2015
Gilbert, AZ
The SBSS is stunning but not new - I’ve had it for a couple of generations so when the SBTi came out I knew I wanted the change.

I wake up wanting to wear it.. because it's "New" and I know it's titanium and i've always wanted a Titanium Apple Watch. I just can't return the darn thing. The way that it changes it's look in different lighting is pretty amazing.

Otflyer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2017
SF Bay Area
I wake up wanting to wear it.. because it's "New" and I know it's titanium and i've always wanted a Titanium Apple Watch. I just can't return the darn thing. The way that it changes it's look in different lighting is pretty amazing.
Maybe I’m just dense but, I’m still unsure of which watch you currently own and which watch you want. You appear to be all over the place SSTi, SBSS, SBTi.

Reactions: Robbenisland

maka344

macrumors 68020
Nov 4, 2009
London, UK
It’s sensational in different lighting conditions and this alone makes it worth it.
I tried the natural Ti and couldn’t get one without scratches out of the box and I previously had SBSS so wanted a change.
The matt shimmer is impressive and very premium.

techno-Zen

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2015
Gilbert, AZ
It’s sensational in different lighting conditions and this alone makes it worth it.
I tried the natural Ti and couldn’t get one without scratches out of the box and I previously had SBSS so wanted a change.
The matt shimmer is impressive and very premium.
I definitely didn't test during enough lighting conditions. Mostly indoors and under white lighting. I love how deep black it can get to a brighter shimmer in daylight outdoors.

I'll probably flip between both until after thanksgiving

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Sorry. I'm just between SSSB and SBTi

I don't want the natural Ti due to no DLC coating - the finish is amazing though

Good choice. I really like the titanium, and it’s nearly the same weight as the stainless, [which you probably couldn’t differentiate by holding it in hand anyway]. However, for anyone that has not experienced the DLC on the Apple Watch, probably doesn’t even know that it exists on the Apple Watch for the majority of consumers. For the price of what I’m paying for an Apple Watch Edition Or stainless, then I prefer to look new as much as possible.

techno-Zen

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2015
Gilbert, AZ
Ok, so this is completely bizarre.. Amazon offered me $100 to keep the SSSB and not return it. I told them I'm happier with a different model.. now rather than a $200 difference between the TI and SS it is a $300 difference..

I fell in love with the Ti but am I $300 in love with it?? I accepted their offer naturally..

edit: has this happened to anyone else? They make you chat with a support rep to confirm the watch is factory reset to get a return label. They must get his pretty bad making returns to apple. I will hope for a titanium Series 6!

Last edited:

SoN1NjA

macrumors 68020
Feb 3, 2016
Ok, so this is completely bizarre.. Amazon offered me $100 to keep the SSSB and not return it. I told them I'm happier with a different model.. now rather than a $200 difference between the TI and SS it is a $300 difference..

I fell in love with the Ti but am I $300 in love with it?? I accepted their offer naturally..

edit: has this happened to anyone else? They make you chat with a support rep to confirm the watch is factory reset to get a return label. They must get his pretty bad making returns to apple. I will hope for a titanium Series 6!
Sorry, haven't been keeping up with your situation and I'm confused

Are you saying that when you told Amazon you wanted to return your Ti watch they told you, "Please don't, we'll pay/refund you $100 if you keep it"

techno-Zen

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2015
Gilbert, AZ
Sorry, haven't been keeping up with your situation and I'm confused

Are you saying that when you told Amazon you wanted to return your Ti watch they told you, "Please don't, we'll pay/refund you $100 if you keep it"
I need a blog..

no, I decided today to keep the SBTi versus the SBSS so I went to initiate a return on amazon.com to return the Space Black Stainless Steel model and they require a chat session or phone call to confirm that you wipe/restore to factory the watch before giving you a return label.

During the chat I was offered $100 to keep the SSSB and I took it. SBTi is already in the fedex box to go back to Apple but i'm 100% sold on the finish for a Series 6.

garethjs

macrumors 65816
Nov 11, 2008
Hardest to find combo but anyone with the natural Ti and the highly sought after ultraviolet band ;-)

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jun 11, 2009
I have to say that with every passing day I'm more happy with my silver Ti. It's just a very unique and rich look, it looks nothing like the aluminium one at all. The silver SS now looks a bit cheapie to me when I see it as it has that shiny chrome look to it, still beautiful but just doesn't grab me as elegant after having my Ti.

Anyone else do the Alaskan Blue with the silver Ti? Personally I love the combo, that has to be the nicest blue tone I've ever seen.

maka344

macrumors 68020
Nov 4, 2009
London, UK
I have to say that with every passing day I'm more happy with my silver Ti. It's just a very unique and rich look, it looks nothing like the aluminium one at all. The silver SS now looks a bit cheapie to me when I see it as it has that shiny chrome look to it, still beautiful but just doesn't grab me as elegant after having my Ti.

Anyone else do the Alaskan Blue with the silver Ti? Personally I love the combo, that has to be the nicest blue tone I've ever seen.
Can you post pics of the combo please?

Reactions: spinedoc77

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA

I agree with you 100%. The look is really unique and marvelous. I much prefer is to the really shiny SS.

Reactions: spinedoc77
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.