Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
That's fine I needed a Magni 3 more anyway, and I picked one up for $79. So Thanks! Worked out perfect! It's the week of great deals for me. I picked up a pair of Yamaha HS8's used in perfect condition for $350, and they just arrived 20 mins ago. I'm stoked.
You're going to be well pleased with the Schiit. I have a Mangi 3 and Modi Multibit DAC and they're fantastic!

Reactions: Duncan68

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
That's fine I needed a Magni 3 more anyway, and I picked one up for $79. So Thanks! Worked out perfect! It's the week of great deals for me. I picked up a pair of Yamaha HS8's used in perfect condition for $350, and they just arrived 20 mins ago. I'm stoked.

Awesome!

I see them again, I'll try to remember to ping you here!

Duncan68

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2018

The Magni 3 is a great headphone amp at any price; enjoy!

ikaka

macrumors regular
Mar 5, 2009
I had an issue getting the Sonos Beam setup with the mini and AirPlay lags, ended up getting
Creative Sound Blaster Omni Surround 5.1 USB Sound Card

It's 2.0 though if you use toslink,but works pretty well, I also got it for just $50

Kevbasscat

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2016
Banning, CA 92220
Awesome!

I see them again, I'll try to remember to ping you here!

Thank you. I'm in the middle of building a home studio and putting together a live recording of a reunion of old friends with a band of 8 of us who have been playing together for 51 years. So I'm spending money like water lately, but what the heck, you gotta jump when the time is right. Please let me know if you see them drop.

Reactions: D.T.

strawbale

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2011
French Pyrenees
External DAC, that'll give you nice, high quality conversion to an analog source (for other components). Plugged into a USB port, outputs analog - so either Mini >> DAC >> Speakers (if powered), or Mini >> DAC >> Amp >> Speakers (if not).

The Schiit Modi 3, currently available in B-stock for $79 is a heck of product, punches way above its class, but there are several options in the sub-$200 DAC category.

(Audio-newbie here) Is this still the preferred (cheap-ish) way to go with a MM2018 - no T2 (or whatever) issues? Did read that some people's DACs that worked fine with an older MM, play up with the MM2018.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
(Audio-newbie here) Is this still the preferred (cheap-ish) way to go with a MM2018 - no T2 (or whatever) issues? Did read that some people's DACs that worked fine with an older MM, play up with the MM2018.
I used a USB DAC with my 2014 Mac mini and it worked just fine.

The preferred way is what works (read sounds) best to you the listener. I'll argue that if you get a quality USB DAC then you will be well pleased with the sound quality. If you cheap out on the DAC and/or USB cable, then you may not have the best experience.

From a very technical and geeky perspective, there is a good discussion with graphs over here from a couple of years ago. https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...battle-of-s-pdif-vs-usb-which-is-better.1943/

Bottom line is, use a reputable DAC and quality (doesn't have to be stupid expensive) cables and you should do well.

strawbale

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2011
French Pyrenees
I used a USB DAC with my 2014 Mac mini and it worked just fine.

The preferred way is what works (read sounds) best to you the listener. I'll argue that if you get a quality USB DAC then you will be well pleased with the sound quality. If you cheap out on the DAC and/or USB cable, then you may not have the best experience.

From a very technical and geeky perspective, there is a good discussion with graphs over here from a couple of years ago. https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...battle-of-s-pdif-vs-usb-which-is-better.1943/

Bottom line is, use a reputable DAC and quality (doesn't have to be stupid expensive) cables and you should do well.

I was specifically referring to audio issues on T2-equipped Macs, like the MM2018 - see for instance:

The proposed solution, audio through a genuine Thunderbolt 3 hub, I find rather expensive (for my aaudio needs). Would a HDMI extractor do the job?

Also, c/would having your music files on a USB connected external drive not introduce similar problems (on a T2-equipped Mac)?

Last edited:

Duncan68

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2018
I was specifically referring to audio issues on T2-equipped Macs, like the MM2018 - see for instance:

The proposed solution, audio through a genuine Thunderbolt 3 hub, I find rather expensive (for my aaudio needs). Would a HDMI extractor do the job?

Also, c/would having your music files on a USB connected external drive not introduce similar problems (on a T2-equipped Mac)?

That bug was fixed quite a while ago in Mojave, at least for me. I DID have dropouts with USB audio to a DAC, but the update cured it. Sorry, I don't remember which update it was. I know I continue to have problem-free playback in Catalina (knock wood).

I also use a 5TB USB HD (mechanical, obviously) to house my FLAC music library and I have no problems with that.

Kevbasscat

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2016
Banning, CA 92220
This is off topic in a larger sense, just a heads up, but it is related to our current issues. I'd like to say this is an invaluable discussion for newbies such as myself. Thank you all so much for sharing your knowledge, wisdom, recourses, and and the sheer experience which gave you all this. When we're young we're determined to learn through the pain of repeating history. Fortunately when we get older, at least some of us realize the value of the wisdom of those who've come before us, and heed it. I hope to get right one day.

I purchased a mid 2017 iMac 10 months ago, because I absolutely couldn't wait any longer. Now I discover it won't play HDR10 and Dolby Atmos, although 2017 Windows machines with the same components can. I've been an Appple zealot, for way way over 2 and something decades, only owning Apple products, because they have a way of making you fall in love with them, and this had been documented and discussed, seriously. I can't help but feel completely manipulated, and used, now that I've joined this forum and had my last transaction with Apple. There is no reason or excuse for my machine not to have this functionality, yet they're attempting to force me to purchase a 2019 iMac just to have that ability. It cost me nearly $1000 more to get the same functionality I had with my 9,1 iMac, and now they want me to shell out another $1500. I'll sell this iMac and buy the 2019 specifically because it does not have the T2 chip. They are locking down the the hardware, and the software, and their business practices have crossed the line with me. This will be my last Apple purchase of any computer or iPad. I may buy used iPhones until my iMac can no longer run on the unsupported forums, then I'm done, but they screwed themselves in the long run by this mentality. I've spent thousands and thousands of my hard earned dollars on them, and they screwed me without a thank you. I'm just so surprised at how much it feels like a lover betrayed me, it's like twilight zone weird, lol. You who make decisions with your head, are the smart ones, I will say that. Being an artist and musician my whole life, I feel everything, and make my decisions from my heart. I have to admit, I feel lost, not knowing enough about Linux yet, but I'm a grown man, I can deal with loss. But I'd like to say one last thing. I don't lie. I don't cheat, and don't steal, and when someone does, I boot them out of my life, so.... F**K You Apple! I feel better now:). Vent.

Edit: Let know if I should move to another forum please?

Last edited:

Kevbasscat

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2016
Banning, CA 92220
I am loving the Magni 3 headphone amp. That thing has serious gain, lol I actually had to flip the gain switch to low, it's so clear I love it, thank you all! I'm running my Yamaha SH8's through it also, which gives me more options for finding that sweet spot of crystal clear transparency I love so much. The HS8's are a far cry from any other studio monitor I've ever heard or owned. The same guy that designed the NS-10's designed these, but there is no 5dB bump at 1 to 2k nor that weak bass. The overall spectrum of these are more full and even than any other monitor I've ever heard. I'd say they're trruly flat across the board, with no weak spots anywhere. They will fill up your house, not just yo ur studio, they blow!Being a musician, I have to have reference speakers. Anything that colors the sound drives me up the walls. I'll be happy wtih these for some time to come.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I am loving the Magni 3 headphone amp. That thing has serious gain, lol I actually had to flip the gain switch to low, it's so clear I love it, thank you all! I'm running my Yamaha SH8's through it also, which gives me more options for finding that sweet spot of crystal clear transparency I love so much. The HS8's are a far cry from any other studio monitor I've ever heard or owned. The same guy that designed the NS-10's designed these, but there is no 5dB bump at 1 to 2k nor that weak bass. The overall spectrum of these are more full and even than any other monitor I've ever heard. I'd say they're trruly flat across the board, with no weak spots anywhere. They will fill up your house, not just yo ur studio, they blow!Being a musician, I have to have reference speakers. Anything that colors the sound drives me up the walls. I'll be happy wtih these for some time to come.
Yeah, the Mangi 3 amp is really good for its size and price. I like mine, but now that I bought the Jotunheim I'm not sure what I'll do with the Mangi and Modi...

palebluedot

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2008
This is off topic in a larger sense, just a heads up, but it is related to our current issues. I'd like to say this is an invaluable discussion for newbies such as myself. Thank you all so much for sharing your knowledge, wisdom, recourses, and and the sheer experience which gave you all this. When we're young we're determined to learn through the pain of repeating history. Fortunately when we get older, at least some of us realize the value of the wisdom of those who've come before us, and heed it. I hope to get right one day.

I purchased a mid 2017 iMac 10 months ago, because I absolutely couldn't wait any longer. Now I discover it won't play HDR10 and Dolby Atmos, although 2017 Windows machines with the same components can. I've been an Appple zealot, for way way over 2 and something decades, only owning Apple products, because they have a way of making you fall in love with them, and this had been documented and discussed, seriously. I can't help but feel completely manipulated, and used, now that I've joined this forum and had my last transaction with Apple. There is no reason or excuse for my machine not to have this functionality, yet they're attempting to force me to purchase a 2019 iMac just to have that ability. It cost me nearly $1000 more to get the same functionality I had with my 9,1 iMac, and now they want me to shell out another $1500. I'll sell this iMac and buy the 2019 specifically because it does not have the T2 chip. They are locking down the the hardware, and the software, and their business practices have crossed the line with me. This will be my last Apple purchase of any computer or iPad. I may buy used iPhones until my iMac can no longer run on the unsupported forums, then I'm done, but they screwed themselves in the long run by this mentality. I've spent thousands and thousands of my hard earned dollars on them, and they screwed me without a thank you. I'm just so surprised at how much it feels like a lover betrayed me, it's like twilight zone weird, lol. You who make decisions with your head, are the smart ones, I will say that. Being an artist and musician my whole life, I feel everything, and make my decisions from my heart. I have to admit, I feel lost, not knowing enough about Linux yet, but I'm a grown man, I can deal with loss. But I'd like to say one last thing. I don't lie. I don't cheat, and don't steal, and when someone does, I boot them out of my life, so.... F**K You Apple! I feel better now:). Vent.

Edit: Let know if I should move to another forum please?

Have you considered dual booting a Hackintosh and *nix or Windows box? Alternatively, you could do what I do. I have a Mac mini and a beast of a gaming PC both sitting on my desk with each connected to its own monitor. I use Synergy (https://symless.com/synergy) to share a mouse and keyboard between the two machines. So basically, I have one huge computer that simultaneously runs Mac and Windows. I can even drag files and copy and paste between them. I like it because I get the cool parts of the Mac ecosystem (Mail.app, iMessage, Safari) and the freedom and power of a custom built Windows PC.

Just a thought.

Kevbasscat

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2016
Banning, CA 92220
Have you considered dual booting a Hackintosh and *nix or Windows box? Alternatively, you could do what I do. I have a Mac mini and a beast of a gaming PC both sitting on my desk with each connected to its own monitor. I use Synergy (https://symless.com/synergy) to share a mouse and keyboard between the two machines. So basically, I have one huge computer that simultaneously runs Mac and Windows. I can even drag files and copy and paste between them. I like it because I get the cool parts of the Mac ecosystem (Mail.app, iMessage, Safari) and the freedom and power of a custom built Windows PC.

Just a thought.

I guess I really didn't articulate what my plans were, because well, lol in the heat of the moment rationality flies out the window, at least for me. What I meant was I do not want to give Apple any more of my money if at all possible. I am completely entrenched in ecosystem, and so buying used seems like a great way of accomplishing that goal, as well as learning about the windows world all over again. I have not touched a pc or windows since 1998, and I have zero experience with Linux, however my brother in law is a computer and networkk guy and, very much into that world. He just this week set me up with an HP laptop that's one month out of warranty, with Windows 10 and a couple very powerful Linux OS's installed as well as some other utilities he thought I could use. I personally wouldn't last long on a Hackintosh with as much upkeep as they require. I have a couple unsupported MBP's and they're enough work already. I like things to work for me, not me work for them, as that's been my mantra throughout life. Synergy sounds fantastic! I'll check that out and talk to my brother in law about it and how it might work for me. He knows me and my weaknesses.

Thank you so much for you help.
[automerge]1573368445[/automerge]
Yeah, the Mangi 3 amp is really good for its size and price. I like mine, but now that I bought the Jotunheim I'm not sure what I'll do with the Mangi and Modi...

I'd be interested in buying the Modi if you'd like:). Heck another Magni couldn't hurt either, as a gift to a band member, or for remote recording. I always need more amplification at those events.

Reactions: Duncan68

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I'd be interested in buying the Modi if you'd like:). Heck another Magni couldn't hurt either, as a gift to a band member, or for remote recording. I always need more amplification at those events.
Appreciate that. But I'm not ready to part with them just yet. I'm going to find a way to employ them someplace else in my home.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Thanks! Might have a look at the (cheaper) Modi 3

Just to confirm, I'm running a Modi 3 (non-Multibit), via USB, on an '18 Mini, works perfect, sounds amazing (it was previously connected to my MBP via optical in the headphone jack). It's even running off a powered Anker USB hub (vs. directly connected to the Mini).

There was apparently a pretty substantial change to the USB implementation in the Modi 3 over the previous Modi 2.

I'm going to find a way to employ them someplace else in my home.

Yeah, I figured an alternative listening station (I think you've got plenty of headphones to spread around :D)
[automerge]1573391162[/automerge]
Oh, shameless for sale plug, since there seems to be a lot of music enthusiasts in this thread: I might be selling my Sennheiser HD-6XX, these are the "custom" models from Mass Drop, and are from several months ago when they were still manufactured in Ireland (I guess the new manufacturing location is under a bit of scrutiny), two sets of interior foam (one with the "quarter mod"), and a set of Dekoni hybrid ear pads (OEMs were barely used), box, mint condition.

Again, this is a maybe-for-sale :)

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Yeah, I figured an alternative listening station (I think you've got plenty of headphones to spread around :D)
Yup. Plenty of cans to go around. Though I am a little short on sources.

Yesterday I hooked up the Jotunheim up to my Yamaha stereo receiver with the pre-outs. That way I can listen to music/podcasts from my PC on the "big" stereo without having to use the CD player if I don't want to.

I could Bluetooth to the Yamaha but, no.

It's cool to have one device to connect to the big system and to my several headphones. It's nice to have options.

strawbale

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2011
French Pyrenees
Just to confirm, I'm running a Modi 3 (non-Multibit), via USB, on an '18 Mini, works perfect, sounds amazing (it was previously connected to my MBP via optical in the headphone jack). It's even running off a powered Anker USB hub (vs. directly connected to the Mini).

There was apparently a pretty substantial change to the USB implementation in the Modi 3 over the previous Modi 2.

Oh, shameless for sale plug, since there seems to be a lot of music enthusiasts in this thread: I might be selling my Sennheiser HD-6XX, these are the "custom" models from Mass Drop, and are from several months ago when they were still manufactured in Ireland (I guess the new manufacturing location is under a bit of scrutiny), two sets of interior foam (one with the "quarter mod"), and a set of Dekoni hybrid ear pads (OEMs were barely used), box, mint condition.

Good to know the Modi 3 is that good - thanks for your update/clarification

strawbale

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2011
French Pyrenees

Good to know the Modi 3 is that good - thanks for your update/clarification

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL

Dude, Modi 3, in B-stock, $79!

1574462600712.png

(There's 11 available, hope you see this and score one)

Last edited:
Reactions: SandboxGeneral
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.