Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

redview

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 30, 2005
Hi!
I bought an Ibook G4 in October. Everything was ok since 3 days ago: sometimes the trackpad freezes for some seconds. everything else works, but the trackpad no. after few seconds it restarts to work.
i think it's an hardware problem because i've got a similar problem if i boot under linux: after some time i have to restart the trackpad driver because it doesnt work.
anybody has a similar problem?
suggestions?

thanx a lot

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
It does sound like it could be hardware...

Two things that are sort of unlikely, but worth considering:

1) If this happens often enough, can you get someone else to try it? If you have many calluses on your fingers, or something like this, then sometimes this will interfere with the trackpad functioning.

2) The trackpad also will behave erratically or not at all if it gets wet.

But barring those things, if this happens in Linux, it sounds as if there is something wrong with your hardware. :(

redview

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 30, 2005
thanx for the reply but:
a) my finger are ok :D
b) my trackpad is clean. to be sure, how can i clean it?

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
redview said:
b) my trackpad is clean. to be sure, how can i clean it?

Ironically, damp cloth. :eek: ;) :D Just have to give it a few minutes to dry. But I really don't think it's your problem. As I said, if it happens in Linux and OS X, it is almost certainly a hardware issue.... :(

eRondeau

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2004
Canada's South Coast
Trackpads are incredibly sensitive to anything on them. I cleaned mine the other day with a Lysol disinfecting wipe and the small bit of "cleaning film" screwed-up the trackpad for half an hour. That probably isn't the problem in your case but it's worth keeping in mind.

Also, it might be a good idea to repair permissions just for fun, and run a good deep-cleaning program like OnyX. Is everything else working normally, and up to speed? While hardware problems happen, I'd take a close look at the software first.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.