Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacOH21

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 15, 2018
I'll admit this is a random question I probably know the answer to, but curious if the mob has any thoughts:

I was given an Apple TV HD as holiday gift from my workplace. I'm appreciative of the gift, but I use a 4k TV and have a number of 4k shows I watch on streaming services. Ideally, I would have loved a Apple TV 4k, not the HD.

Given that, do you think any retailer would allow me to trade in the existing, non-opened Apple TV HD and pay the difference for a 4k model? I'm trying to be honest and not just, "hey, my grandma lost the receipt!" shenanigans.

BODYBUILDERPAUL

Suspended
Feb 9, 2009
Barcelona
In all fairness, is there anyway that you could explain this to your workplace and get the receipt from them and go to the place where it was bought from for an exchange? You could explain to your workplace that the HD model is the old outgoing one and that you'd love the long term investment of the 4K one.

In my opinion, it's really wrong of Apple to continue selling this old HD model with dated A8 chip. It's under performing now. Maybe at £79 but not £149 and I really can not justify anyone buying a HD only product in 2019 - not even 2017 when the 4K model was launched. Eddy Cue needs to get his act together and drop this old model and that's coming from me - the most loyal fan of Apple TV.

I don't understand Apple at times with things like this - it's like when they sell brand new 3 year old iPhones at a cheaper price but with a poorer user experience in 2019. It's wrong really.

Having old EOL line style products selling alongside new models simply confuses buyers and Apple should be the leaders on not having this.

Reactions: nutmac and MacOH21

Illini Al

macrumors regular
Mar 5, 2019
Bolingbrook, IL
Target may do it, but be sure that the location you go to has the 4K model in stock. I doubt they'll let you leave without using the full value of the HD model you want to return.
My wife works at a Target, and her location would probably do it, but would require Manager approval. If they do it, they'd open up the box you're returning to ensure that the S/N on the box matches the unit. Then, they'll just send it back to Apple for reimbursement.

Reactions: MacOH21

BODYBUILDERPAUL

Suspended
Feb 9, 2009
Barcelona
I'm also wondering if it's worth asking Apple - firstly through an Apple Store and if not, then through their customer services / Email their head of sales. If you message them on LinkedIn you tend to get a reply and action!

MacOH21

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 15, 2018
I did chat with Apple through their store app. While the customer service person was extremely nice and very chatty, the policy is no receipt, no exchange/return --- which is exactly what I figured it would be.

BODYBUILDERPAUL

Suspended
Feb 9, 2009
Barcelona
Is there anyway that you can ask your company if you can have the receipt purely as you would need it for the 1 year warranty. This would solve everything!!!

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
In my opinion, it's really wrong of Apple to continue selling this old HD model with dated A8 chip. It's under performing now. Maybe at £79 but not £149 and I really can not justify anyone buying a HD only product in 2019 - not even 2017 when the 4K model was launched.
Agreed. It's all too easy to accidentally purchase Apple TV HD. And as you pointed out, the price difference is so small that it's easy to mistake Apple TV HD as Apple TV 4K on sale.

At the very least, Apple should sell it without the remote (iPhone required) for $99 or something.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.