Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
The more I read about these latest "tariffs", the more I am hearing from retailers how little impact this will have in the majority of what the consumer will see. Yet I have friends who work retail and some retailers are using this to artificially raise prices to garner additional profit.

Martyimac

macrumors 68020
Aug 19, 2009
S. AZ.
The more I read about these latest "tariffs", the more I am hearing from retailers how little impact this will have in the majority of what the consumer will see. Yet I have friends who work retail and some retailers are using this to artificially raise prices to garner additional profit.
Well, then there are some retailers like Green Valley Pecans who just recently cancelled their yearly event and laid the blame directly on the tariffs. There are folks who can't absorb the cost of the tariffs and when that happens, the consumer has to bear the weight.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Well, then there are some retailers like Green Valley Pecans who just recently cancelled their yearly event and laid the blame directly on the tariffs. There are folks who can't absorb the cost of the tariffs and when that happens, the consumer has to bear the weight.

Those are the exceptions or one-offs. For most of the major retailers, the impact is predominately negligible.

sirozha

macrumors 68000
Jan 4, 2008
Last time I checked, pecans grow in Georgia. What do tariffs have to do with the pecans? If they can’t sell them to China, they need to find new markets. I’m sure there are enough places that can buy American pecans.

Martyimac

macrumors 68020
Aug 19, 2009
S. AZ.
Last time I checked, pecans grow in Georgia. What do tariffs have to do with the pecans? If they can’t sell them to China, they need to find new markets. I’m sure there are enough places that can buy American pecans.
Largest pecan growing states are 1. Georgia, 2. New Mexico, 3. Texas, 4. Arizona

Folks can make all the statements they want but the tariffs can or are hurting some industries. https://www.investopedia.com/indust...-by-trade-disputes-with-china-in-2019-4580508

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014

DocMultimedia

macrumors 68000
Sep 8, 2012
Charlottesville, VA
And Trump now tells tech companies he has declared war on China, so they'd better look elsewhere. The stock market collapse. There is no one better than Trump at manipulating markets to make quick money for his friends and family. I really can't wait for this screaming child with a limitless credit card to get out of office.

Time for Cook to launch the UFO campus to take Apple out of America.

run1976

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2010
Germany

Apple CEO Tim Cook and U.S. President Donald Trump met for dinner on Friday evening, and Trump has since told reporters that the two discussed the impact of U.S. tariffs on Apple products imported from China.

tim-cook-donald-melania-trump.jpg

Melania Trump, Donald Trump, and Tim Cook in August 2018

Trump said Cook "made a good case" that tariffs could put Apple at a disadvantage given that rival Samsung's products would be less impacted by the tariffs, according to Reuters. "I thought he made a very compelling argument, so I'm thinking about it," Trump said, speaking at an airport in Morristown, New Jersey.

The U.S. plans to impose an additional 10 percent tariff on approximately $300 billion of Chinese imports on September 1, but last week it delayed the tariff to December 15 for products including the iPhone, iPad, and MacBooks. Other products like the Apple Watch, AirPods, and HomePod are still set to be impacted September 1.

In a letter to the Trump administration in June, Apple urged against the tariffs, claiming that they would reduce the company's contribution to the U.S. economy and weigh on its global competitiveness.

Note: Due to the political nature of the discussion regarding this topic, the discussion thread is located in our Politics, Religion, Social Issues forum. All forum members and site visitors are welcome to read and follow the thread, but posting is limited to forum members with at least 100 posts.

Article Link: Trump Says Tim Cook Made 'Good Case' That Tariffs Would Put Apple at Disadvantage With Rivals Like Samsung

Not adressing anyone personally. But whoever was suggesting Tim Cook had any lasting influence on the child with ADHD in the oval office must feel kind of stupid by now. But hey, anybody who still believes there is any consistency and reliability in Donald Trump must be a pretty slow learner anyway.

Please don’t delete this. I am still being NICE here. Getting my comment deleted would just be so... NASTY.
SAD

Reactions: BlueTide

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Not adressing anyone personally. But whoever was suggesting Tim Cook had any lasting influence on the child with ADHD in the oval office must feel kind of stupid by now. But hey, anybody who still believes there is any consistency and reliability in Donald Trump must be a pretty slow learner anyway.

Please don’t delete this. I am still being NICE here. Getting my comment deleted would just be so... NASTY.
SAD

TC had an influence after talking to DT.
Who said it was over and long term?

itsmemuffins

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
Companies by now should have looked for other means than China. The fact that they haven’t left China by now only serves to expose their support for the Chinese regime and there main concern for profit over American workers and values.

Cancelled
Jun 8, 2017
Nothing against Cook but man I wish Jobs was still alive. Watching him lose his s**t every time he had to meet with Trump would be infinitely more entertaining than anything on Apple+

stylinexpat

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2009
Nothing against Cook but man I wish Jobs was still alive. Watching him lose his s**t every time he had to meet with Trump would be infinitely more entertaining than anything on Apple+

He would not have put up with the crap from Trump.
[doublepost=1566751325][/doublepost]
Companies by now should have looked for other means than China. The fact that they haven’t left China by now only serves to expose their support for the Chinese regime and there main concern for profit over American workers and values.

I am assuming that nothing in your house or that you use is made in China.. If there is anything made in China in your house or room that would then mean you support the Chinese regime for saving a penny over American workers and values, right?

Your mattress is made where? Your bed sheets were made where? Your pillow was made where? Your underwear and socks were made where? Your shoes were made where? Your computer,smartphone and cables were made where? Your utensils and kitchenware were made where? Your clothes were made where? The list goes on..;)

Reactions: Martyimac

itsmemuffins

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
He would not have put up with the crap from Trump.
[doublepost=1566751325][/doublepost]

I am assuming that nothing in your house or that you use is made in China.. If there is anything made in China in your house or room that would then mean you support the Chinese regime for saving a penny over American workers and values, right?

Your mattress is made where? Your bed sheets were made where? Your pillow was made where? Your underwear and socks were made where? Your shoes were made where? Your computer,smartphone and cables were made where? Your utensils and kitchenware were made where? Your clothes were made where? The list goes on..;)

Anything that can be bought that isn’t Chinese made is. But it’s up to companies and producers. Apple was able to manufacture iPhone in India tootsweet when India increased tax on imported smartphones.

coolbreeze

macrumors 68000
Jan 20, 2003
UT
Every country functions like this. Personal connections mean everything.

The idea of tariffs is to help US manufacturers; not to hurt them. I'm sure Trump gave Tim some deadlines to bring more manufacturing to the US (or at least, to move it out of China) or the tariffs will eventually be imposed on the Apple products made in China.

What it all means is that Trump is a person you can reason with unlike the way he is presented by the left-wing media like CNN, MSNBC, etc. We've just seen the meltdown that occurred with the CNN's top anchor Chris Cuomo. Had this happened with Trump, the media would be calling for an immediate impeachment hearing. However, when this happens to the top CNN talent, they simply dismiss it as something that is totally normal and stand behind their guy. This is an egregious demonstration of a double standard in the media. So, take all the criticism of the Trump administration that is coming out of the left-wing media with a grain of salt. Their coverage of the negative effects of the Trump administration policies, including the tariffs, are grossly exaggerated, and all the achievements of the Trump administration are constantly downplayed.

CNN has turned into a Trump bashing network. They let go of all of their foreign correspondents , which they were so famous for, and embarked on Trump bashing 24x7 since the mid 2015, when Trump announced his candidacy. For four straight years now, CNN has been bashing Trump in every one of their programs throughout each day starting early in the morning and continuing into late night. It's like the rest of the world no longer exists. There is no news that CNN could cover; the only topic that exists is Trump.
Old thread, but this post is ?

tgwaste

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2013
Every country functions like this. Personal connections mean everything.

The idea of tariffs is to help US manufacturers; not to hurt them. I'm sure Trump gave Tim some deadlines to bring more manufacturing to the US (or at least, to move it out of China) or the tariffs will eventually be imposed on the Apple products made in China.

What it all means is that Trump is a person you can reason with unlike the way he is presented by the left-wing media like CNN, MSNBC, etc. We've just seen the meltdown that occurred with the CNN's top anchor Chris Cuomo. Had this happened with Trump, the media would be calling for an immediate impeachment hearing. However, when this happens to the top CNN talent, they simply dismiss it as something that is totally normal and stand behind their guy. This is an egregious demonstration of a double standard in the media. So, take all the criticism of the Trump administration that is coming out of the left-wing media with a grain of salt. Their coverage of the negative effects of the Trump administration policies, including the tariffs, are grossly exaggerated, and all the achievements of the Trump administration are constantly downplayed.

CNN has turned into a Trump bashing network. They let go of all of their foreign correspondents , which they were so famous for, and embarked on Trump bashing 24x7 since the mid 2015, when Trump announced his candidacy. For four straight years now, CNN has been bashing Trump in every one of their programs throughout each day starting early in the morning and continuing into late night. It's like the rest of the world no longer exists. There is no news that CNN could cover; the only topic that exists is Trump.

All liberals fall into this category. The only thing they have done for the last 4 years is go after trump. They have not done a single ounce of work for this country. The Democratic Party is the most useless waste of space in the history of America. They provide absolutely no value, not even to themselves.

Reactions: webbuzz

Martyimac

macrumors 68020
Aug 19, 2009
S. AZ.
All liberals fall into this category. The only thing they have done for the last 4 years is go after trump. They have not done a single ounce of work for this country. The Democratic Party is the most useless waste of space in the history of America. They provide absolutely no value, not even to themselves.
What is very interesting, is that during the last year of Obama's term, the conservatives were saying the EXACT same thingabout the liberals. Different names, same theme, same comments. And no, I owe allegiance to neither party.

tgwaste

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2013
What is very interesting, is that during the last year of Obama's term, the conservatives were saying the EXACT same thingabout the liberals. Different names, same theme, same comments. And no, I owe allegiance to neither party.

They weren't. The conservatives were mad about Obama for a week, then we got over it. The libbies spend 100% of their time on Trump and will continue to do so after he wins again.

Reactions: webbuzz
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.