Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The first three episodes of true-crime drama series "Truth Be Told" are now available to stream on Apple TV+.

truth-be-told-apple-tv-plus-800x450.jpg

New evidence compels true-crime podcaster Poppy Parnell, played by Octavia Spencer, to reopen a murder case that made her a media sensation. "Breaking Bad" star Aaron Paul plays the man she may have wrongfully put behind bars. The series is based on the novel "Are You Sleeping" by Kathleen Barber.

"Hala" was also released on Apple TV+ today. Written and directed by Minhal Baig, Apple says the film follows a high school senior struggling to balance being a suburban teenager with her traditional Muslim upbringing.

Apple has also released the eighth episodes of "The Morning Show," "See," and "For All Mankind," as well as the fourth episode of "Servant."

Apple TV+ is available through the Apple TV app on iPhone, iPad, Apple TV, Mac, Roku, Amazon Fire TV, and select smart TVs from Samsung, LG, Sony, and Vizio, as well as online at tv.apple.com. The streaming service costs $4.99 per month in the United States, with a seven-day free trial available.

Article Link: 'Truth Be Told' Starring Octavia Spencer and Breaking Bad's Aaron Paul Now Streaming on Apple TV+

fmcshan

Editor
Apr 8, 2019
I was pretty excited for this show, but I’m disappointed that the initial reviews weren’t great. Probably still going to give the first few episodes a shot, though.

Reactions: Ar40

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
I’ll wait till Apple resolves the DV issues. I didn’t buy an OLED to watch content in peasant HDR.
many cases where DV isn't as good as hdr10 in streaming devices. In physical media its slightly better yes but from my playing around with my appletv 4k and Nvidia SHIELD 2019 I prefer hdr10 to dolby vision.
but hey you can want something that looks worse. Thats up to you

ShadowJade

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2014
I have liked every show so far, (haven't tried Dickinson yet)...but critics are critics. I also haven't agreed with the "Best Picture" selection in years. It is a good thing that we all don't like exactly the same stuff...the world would be very vanilla. All that matters is that my wife and I agree on each show. These and The Mandalorian have made these past few weeks very entertaining.

• Love
Reactions: Ar40 and 5105973

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
I’v cancelled my subscription until Apple Bring back Dolby vision.

why isn’t any new sources reported this yet?
have you done side by side comparisons to dv and hdr10? if you haven't then maybe you should... Streaming I prefer hdr10 on my Sony

BarrettF77

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2015
I haven't watched Apple TV+ once since Disney + came out. I've tried most of the shows at release and they are ALL agenda/minority/sexist driven. What ever happened to good old fashioned story telling?

So many great shows on Amazon and Netflix that don't do this, but Apple seems hell bent on sending a message in the shows they do. And the latest with Oprah... OMG.

The world is politically charged enough, do we really need it too in our form of entertainment? Probably why I love sticking to Marvel and DC type shows and other old fashioned characters. It was just simpler and entertaining.

I'll add, I haven't spoken to one friend who likes Apple TV+. Especially the ads for it force fed when you turn the Apple TV on and have kids around. They don't need to see some of these things. This coming from a huge apple customer and household, but this is really eroding my enthusiasm for where they are headed.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ar40

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2017
I have liked every show so far, (haven't tried Dickinson yet)...but critics are critics. I also haven't agreed with the "Best Picture" selection in years. It is a good thing that we all don't like exactly the same stuff...the world would be very vanilla. All that matters is that my wife and I agree on each show. These and The Mandalorian have made these past few weeks very entertaining.
Yes. Apple and Disney have definitely enriched my lonely life since November! Looking forward to the additional great shows in the pipeline.

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
I haven't watched Apple TV+ once since Disney + came out. I've tried most of the shows at release and they are ALL agenda/minority/sexist driven. What ever happened to good old fashioned story telling?

So many great shows on Amazon and Netflix that don't do this, but Apple seems hell bent on sending a message in the shows they do. And the latest with Oprah... OMG.

The world is politically charged enough, do we really need it too in our form of entertainment? Probably why I love sticking to Marvel and DC type shows and other old fashioned characters. It was just simpler and entertaining.

I'll add, I haven't spoken to one friend who likes Apple TV+. Especially the ads for it force fed when you turn the Apple TV on and have kids around. They don't need to see some of these things. This coming from a huge apple customer and household, but this is really eroding my enthusiasm for where they are headed.
[automerge]1575645025[/automerge]

They have nothing meaningful to report on currently except a rehash of what we already have seen this year. Stories on 50+ iPhone cases etc. You can only tell about things so many times. Perhaps them focusing on the OS betas a little more? Nope, we will do what everyone else is reporting on.

Mac rumors, apple insider, 9to5 all have the same stories with the same content. They just arrive at different paces. And they are all becoming boring.
I like a lot of their shows actually. But I don't have kids so its a little different. The way apple is taking it is more raw and uncensored. Not kid friendly. Nothing wrong with that. I prefer it over G rated stuff. I love a Good R or MA rated show.
Im sure yo wouldn't watch True blood, Penny dreadful, even Game of thrones with your kids also. But there are people out there that do like the harder stuff. Dickenson was good storytelling with a twist. I liked the show more than the rest I think. but the Morning show is good and has a good story line to it because it is real and does happen.

• Love

emcdonald75

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2016

You liked a time when other people were left out of Hollywood narratives? When other peoples' experiences and cultures were not being told? I like Marvel and DC shows too, but there are other good stories, shows and experiences that everyone can relate to that do not come from only one ethnic group's perspective. Old fashioned story telling was not always good, it was only tolerated because it was the only story shown or accepted. I like to see different perspectives from cultures all over the world or among the diverse groups in America. One person's way is not always the only way to SEE (Apple TV+) things. SEE what I did there. Lol.

Duane Martin

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2004
Calgary, Alberta
I like a lot of their shows actually. But I don't have kids so its a little different. The way apple is taking it is more raw and uncensored. Not kid friendly. Nothing wrong with that. I prefer it over G rated stuff.
Before Apple TV+ was released MR was full of complaints that Apple was going to PG all of the content. Now that it is out we are starting to see comments, like the one you are responding to, that feels the content is so Adult the ads are inappropriate for children. In this thread we also see people complaining the programming is too message-oriented and needs to be more like Marvel and DC movies (or as I would define that genre, intellectual pablum, no wait, look! Shiny object!). Though that is admittedly not fair. Black Panther had a few things to say that needed saying and still had spectacular explosions.

I have no objection to entertainment and escapism but I don’t like when other’s insist that all programming be lowered to the basest level. Motion pictures, over the decades, have raised the collective consciousness on all sorts of issues that may not have come to light otherwise. Even something as seemingly light and entertaining as the original Star Trek series introduced ideals (the Prime Directive) that have become part of our consciousness, as well as giving us the first interracial kiss on American broadcast TV. As an analogy I appreciate comfort food but would not be happy if I never had the opportunity to expand and challenge my palette.

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
Before Apple TV+ was released MR was full of complaints that Apple was going to PG all of the content. Now that it is out we are starting to see comments, like the one you are responding to, that feels the content is so Adult the ads are inappropriate for children. In this thread we also see people complaining the programming is too message-oriented and needs to be more like Marvel and DC movies (or as I would define that genre, intellectual pablum, no wait, look! Shiny object!). Though that is admittedly not fair. Black Panther had a few things to say that needed saying and still had spectacular explosions.

I have no objection to entertainment and escapism but I don’t like when other’s insist that all programming be lowered to the basest level. Motion pictures, over the decades, have raised the collective consciousness on all sorts of issues that may not have come to light otherwise. Even something as seemingly light and entertaining as the original Star Trek series introduced ideals (the Prime Directive) that have become part of our consciousness, as well as giving us the first interracial kiss on American broadcast TV. As an analogy I appreciate comfort food but would not be happy if I never had the opportunity to expand and challenge my palette.
That’s why I like weird shows that aren’t meant for kids. While marvel is awesome because we are all kids in our own ways I like a lot of darker things that have more meaning to me than pg tv. Maybe I’ll change if I ever do have kids or I’d raise them to like horror and weird shows/movies like me.
we cant deny that on an audio video level appletv+ is way ahead of anyting. Mandalorian while it was good the first 3 episodes is toning down too much and it’s just not as raw as I’d hoped. If Apple had the rights to that they would make it awesome with much higher quality picture and audio.

Last edited:

Ar40

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2017
You liked a time when other people were left out of Hollywood narratives? When other peoples' experiences and cultures were not being told? I like Marvel and DC shows too, but there are other good stories, shows and experiences that everyone can relate to that do not come from only one ethnic group's perspective. Old fashioned story telling was not always good, it was only tolerated because it was the only story shown or accepted. I like to see different perspectives from cultures all over the world or among the diverse groups in America. One person's way is not always the only way to SEE (Apple TV+) things. SEE what I did there. Lol.
What a refreshing take. It's nice to see a healthier perspective on the diversity of stories in entertainment. I have felt for a while that my own community's stories haven't been told and am looking forward to seeing more representation.
[automerge]1575649641[/automerge]
Probably why I love sticking to Marvel and DC type shows and other old fashioned characters. It was just simpler and entertaining.
Mr. Scorsese would like a word.

decypher44

macrumors 68000
Feb 24, 2007
Orange County, CA
Yeah, I cancelled my 7-day trial today. The only show I liked was For All Mankind. I tried the others and couldn’t get into them. So even though $4.99/mo is low, it’s too high for me to watch just one show.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.