Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Critics tearing this show a new one. Unfortunate, but they also hated See and I kinda like that one so I'll give this a shot. Free is free.

I am usually all on board with critics, but they have missed the boat with the Apple shows. I really am liking the Morning Show and Servant. They cannot see past the topics discussed and actually enjoy the show.

edit: actually looks like the reviews for The Morning Show have gotten better.

Reactions: zooby, Ar40 and CE3

MEJHarrison

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2009
Am I the only one that thinks See is a horrible show?

Of course not. Just don't make the assumption that because you didn't care for it, no one will. Everyone has different tastes. I couldn't get into The Morning Show, but that's been one of the higher praised shows. Fortunately Apple seems to be getting some nice variety rather than appealing to a single demographic. Not every show will resonate with every viewer, and that's exactly how it ought to be.

Reactions: Ar40

btrach144

macrumors demi-god
Aug 28, 2015
Indiana
many cases where DV isn't as good as hdr10 in streaming devices. In physical media its slightly better yes but from my playing around with my appletv 4k and Nvidia SHIELD 2019 I prefer hdr10 to dolby vision.
but hey you can want something that looks worse. Thats up to you
That’s your opinion. The facts state that HDR10 is static meta data and DV is dynamic meta data. In theory, DV is better. Blacks look horrible on HDR10 on AppleTV+
[automerge]1575657933[/automerge]
What is the DV issue with Apple TV+ shows! I hadn’t heard anything.
https://www.macrumors.com/2019/12/06/apple-tv-shows-lose-dolby-vision-hdr-apple-tv-4k/

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
That’s your opinion. The facts state that HDR10 is static meta data and DV is dynamic meta data. In theory, DV is better. Blacks look horrible on HDR10 on AppleTV+
[automerge]1575657933[/automerge]

https://www.macrumors.com/2019/12/06/apple-tv-shows-lose-dolby-vision-hdr-apple-tv-4k/
So you’ve compared them side by side like I have? From streaming apps dv isn’t wonderful like I said. Especially not in Disney.
a 4k uhd disc is a totally different thing.
I think Apple cut dv from the streaming box because there is issues with it.

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
Can we all agree that watchmen takes the winning vote this year?
that show is awesome
No...since The Mandalorian is the most wanted tv show worldwide and The Boys is even better
I bet you didnt saw the boys because otherwise that was your show
Watchmen for me is second place between The boys and third place

Last edited:

mogga71

macrumors member
Apr 7, 2017
London
I am usually all on board with critics, but they have missed the boat with the Apple shows. I really am liking the Morning Show and Servant. They cannot see past the topics discussed and actually enjoy the show.

Totally agree about the TMS and Servant....both great shows ... especially the former. Critics got that wrong big time. However I am not liking the other shows but not seen the newly released ones today. For All Mankind is awful. Must have cost a fortune and is just boring. I personally hope they stick to modern set shows and don't delve too much into period and fantasy stuff.

Kierkegaarden

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2018
USA
I haven't watched Apple TV+ once since Disney + came out. I've tried most of the shows at release and they are ALL agenda/minority/sexist driven. What ever happened to good old fashioned story telling?

So many great shows on Amazon and Netflix that don't do this, but Apple seems hell bent on sending a message in the shows they do. And the latest with Oprah... OMG.

The world is politically charged enough, do we really need it too in our form of entertainment? Probably why I love sticking to Marvel and DC type shows and other old fashioned characters. It was just simpler and entertaining.

I'll add, I haven't spoken to one friend who likes Apple TV+. Especially the ads for it force fed when you turn the Apple TV on and have kids around. They don't need to see some of these things. This coming from a huge apple customer and household, but this is really eroding my enthusiasm for where they are headed.
I agree. I don’t understand the choices that are being made. Everything I’ve seen (aside from Snoopy) is not appropriate for children. Too much language, sex, or violence, or a combination of these three. And many of them seem to have a political/social angle as you mentioned.

Reactions: Breezygirl

btrach144

macrumors demi-god
Aug 28, 2015
Indiana
So you’ve compared them side by side like I have? From streaming apps dv isn’t wonderful like I said. Especially not in Disney.
a 4k uhd disc is a totally different thing.
I think Apple cut dv from the streaming box because there is issues with it.
Yes, I have compared them side by side.

and its laughable that you mentioned Disney+. Their content is horribly encoded. Their HDR content is peak 200nits. that’s not HDR material at 200nits. Many TVs have peak brightnesses that can reach 1,000+ nits. Heck, my computer monitor can even reach peak 1,200 nits. Disney+ content shouldn’t be allowed the DV logo

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
No...since The Mandalorian is the most wanted tv show worldwide and The Boys is even better
I bet you didnt saw the boys because otherwise that was your show
Watchmen for me is second place between The boys and third place
The boys was pretty awesome yes. I liked mandalorian first 3 episodes but the last two seem a little ehh filler episode and just too much baby yoda doing the same stuff. hopefully they pick it up the rest of the season like the first 3 episodes.
[automerge]1575694108[/automerge]
Yes, I have compared them side by side.

and its laughable that you mentioned Disney+. Their content is horribly encoded. Their HDR content is peak 200nits. that’s not HDR material at 200nits. Many TVs have peak brightnesses that can reach 1,000+ nits. Heck, my computer monitor can even reach peak 1,200 nits. Disney+ content shouldn’t be allowed the DV logo
I turn off hdr on disney it just makes the picture unwatchable you me
[automerge]1575694228[/automerge]
Nope .... Mr Robot by a country mile.
Well yeaaa mr robot is one of my favorite shows of all time. Also fight club which is pretty similar to it. But mr robot is on going(didn’t start this year). Sad it’s ending soon.
Let’s not forget legion. Best marvel tv/show series ever created.

• Haha
Reactions: decypher44

jazstudio

macrumors member
Sep 28, 2012
I was pretty excited for this show, but I’m disappointed that the initial reviews weren’t great. Probably still going to give the first few episodes a shot, though.

I think the critics were wrong about this show as much as they were about the others. I'm really enjoying the performances. The story seems a little predictable but I'm only 3 shows in and love it.

zooby

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2008

It says a lot that TMS got bad reviews from critics but a very high score (94%) on RT from the fans.

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
Yeah, I cancelled my 7-day trial today. The only show I liked was For All Mankind. I tried the others and couldn’t get into them. So even though $4.99/mo is low, it’s too high for me to watch just one show.
Yep. That comes out to around 65 cents per hour of entertainment. Clear ripoff :)
[automerge]1575761352[/automerge]
Can we all agree that watchmen takes the winning vote this year?
that show is awesome
I’m preferring mr. robot this year.

Last edited:

Jim Lahey

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2014
Another one I'm looking forward to. Got a heap of ATV+ episodes banked and ready to binge over the Christmas holidays. This is also in my Up Next list.

I couldn't care less about critics. So far there's been an inverse relationship between their opinions and the quality of the shows. The worse the review the more likely the programme is to be excellent ?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.