Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Awimoway

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 13, 2002
California
I just came across this idea on another forum, and it's a game-changer for me: You might try repositioning your AirPods. I've included a labeled diagram of the ear and attached some photos so you can see what I mean.

Put them in so that the stems point somewhere between forward and upward instead of down. If someone were looking at your profile, the stems would point to roughly 2 o'clock in the right ear, 10 o'clock in the left ear—the best angle depends on your ear shape.

With my ears, when I do this they rest nicely in the groove just above the part of the ear called the tragus (see diagram), and they are a lot more secure. The microphone works fine at this angle, at least for noise cancellation and transparency modes. I haven't tested calls. Squeezing the stem to pause or change modes is a little trickier but not a big deal once you get the hang of how to position your hand.

If I'm in a situation where use of the microphone isn't needed, I can get an even more secure fit if I point the stems even higher, somewhere between 12 and 1 o'clock in the right ear, 11 and 12 in the left ear. I tuck/wedge the stem into the fossa triangularis (see diagram). In that position, all I have to do is push against the front of the stem to pause. Very easy. However, that position renders the microphone ineffective.

Edits: Rephrases for clarity (I hope) and addition of pictures

ear-anatomy.jpg

Attachments

• 2oclock_02.JPG
    2oclock_02.JPG
    303.9 KB · Views: 944
  • 2oclock_01.JPG
    2oclock_01.JPG
    286.8 KB · Views: 2,757
  • vertical.JPG
    vertical.JPG
    255.9 KB · Views: 1,241
Last edited:

darrinS

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2011
So Cal
You need to make a quick YouTube video demonstrating this. I am trying to do what you describe with no luck.

Kai Hawaii

macrumors member
Mar 15, 2015
That works and I posted this some weeks ago. However yes it’s strange why it works at that position for some people (like me) immediately perfect seal. Not sure what Apple can do about it because it is the main design of the AirPods Pro which caused it, not the tips.
5E277F42-86E8-4EAE-8E3D-1A3F36A6F9AB.jpeg

Kai Hawaii

macrumors member
Mar 15, 2015
That works and I posted this some weeks ago. However yes it’s strange why it works at that position for some people (like me) immediately perfect seal. Not sure what Apple can do about it because it is the main design of the AirPods Pro which caused it, not the tips.

Reactions: Awimoway

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
The Giuliani moment.
Actually, just use a larger tip, push it in a bit, then pull it out just so slightly that the ear tip is straightened. Then you’ll have a very good fit.

Kai Hawaii

macrumors member
Mar 15, 2015
The Giuliani moment.
Actually, just use a larger tip, push it in a bit, then pull it out just so slightly that the ear tip is straightened. Then you’ll have a very good fit.

not sure if I understand what you wrote

Otflyer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2017
SF Bay Area
The Giuliani moment.
I already use the large tips and get an intermittent seal as one of my ear canals is quite large. Wish Apple had supplied XL tips as well. Maybe the after market will provide more options in the future.
[automerge]1574525688[/automerge]
That works and I posted this some weeks ago. However yes it’s strange why it works at that position for some people (like me) immediately perfect seal. Not sure what Apple can do about it because it is the main design of the AirPods Pro which caused it, not the tips. View attachment 878765
does this affect call quality?

Last edited:
Reactions: Awimoway

Kai Hawaii

macrumors member
Mar 15, 2015
I already use the large tips and get an intermittent seal as one of my ear canals is quite large. Wish Apple had supplied XL tips as well. Maybe the after market will provide more options in the future.
[automerge]1574525688[/automerge]

does this affect call quality?
No
[automerge]1574556570[/automerge]
Don't waste your life worrying about what other people think you look like. They're going to have their opinions no matter what. ;)

they will think that we Are wearing it wrong. This is the reason I don’t wear them like this in public :(

Charlie Sefi

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2019
I've wedged them exactly upside down and they fit/work perfectly, and my anthelix(?!) holds it in place making it more secure too... we'll see how we go.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-12-02 at 16.38.47.png
    Screenshot 2019-12-02 at 16.38.47.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 2,580
Reactions: Pattaya

bpeeps

Suspended
May 6, 2011
Reading this post is pretty interesting considering the Airpods Pro have been the only Apple earbud to ever fit my ears.

darrinS

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2011
So Cal
Reading this post is pretty interesting considering the Airpods Pro have been the only Apple earbud to ever fit my ears.
AirPods fall out almost immediately for me. AirPods Pro the left pod fits perfectly and stays put but my right pod with any sized tip falls out within minutes. I wish they came with wingtips.

linkgx1

macrumors 68000
Oct 12, 2011
AirPods fall out almost immediately for me. AirPods Pro the left pod fits perfectly and stays put but my right pod with any sized tip falls out within minutes. I wish they came with wingtips.
Weirdly enough my problem too. The left is almost perfect, the right is stubborn as hell.

Jutah

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2012
Don’t think it’s a good idea for call quality, not one of the best features of the AirPods Pro

luigi408

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2008
Sadly I’m returning mine. My right ones keep falling off. Can’t even run lightly and they just pop off. The left ones stay longer but they don’t work great as workout headphones. As others said, I wish they came with wings to help them stay put during workouts and faster movement. Oh well. Back they go tomorrow.

brian5

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2008
CT, USA
I like this upside down method of installing them! It seems to work for me. Looks odd though and I don't need nosy people bugging me on the train...

I had purchased the AirPods gen 2 and immediately returned them because 1) the lack of noise cancelling made them unusable on the train (compared to headsets) and 2) they fell out. I really like the noise cancelling on AirPods Pro and used them a flight. Unfortunately, I can't keep them in :( I get what feels like a good fit with Medium and with Large but they still fall out after 10 minutes or so.

sys_spud

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2019
The OP’s solution works for me, with one tweak. I have to pull up on the top part of the ear lobe, then down on the bottom lobe, while pressing in on the AirPods. Only then do I achieve a good seal on each side. And, it’s VERY obvious when you do get a good seal.

This is similar to the maneuver I use on my Bose QC20’s to get a good seal by tucking the silicone “wings” into the lobe.

Unlike most of the folks getting a good seal (before using the 2 o’clock maneuver) on the left ear, and the right falling out, I was the opposite. The left kept falling out.

2B9E1654-142B-4808-8E88-43FEA1550433.jpeg

sweetss2019

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2019
I love the new AirPods Pro but like many others they've been falling out or coming loose. In desperation I've come up with the solution you see in the picture. This uses some harder silicon from an old pair of Shure tips. I cut about 1-2mm off the top to get rid of the central "pipe" and create an opening, then pulled the AirPods silicon tip through. It basically creates the XXL ear tip that Apple should have provided and the seal is better so they stay in but the charging case doesn't close. A rubber band helps keeps the case lid closed when they're charging though. Here's a similar solution.

Apple, please fix the AirPods Pro. Most urgently we need XL and XXL tips, or better yet, a redesign in the next version so the plastic case tapers into the ear canal which would allow a user to insert it more deeply for a better seal.

Screen Shot 2019-12-28 at 9.01.39 pm.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.