Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrmeister

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 26, 2010
Hi,

It's been brought to my attention that in iOS 8, Location Services have been added to the Messages app, meaning one can view where a message was sent from, if the service is turned on.

My problem is that I'm on iOS 7 and apparently Messages is sending location data whenever I send a message. After looking at support it seems as though the guides are aimed at iOS 8 users, and the menus are not available in iOS7. I could turn off Location Services altogether, but it is helpful for some apps, so I don't really want to.

I'm reluctant to upgrade because I can't downgrade - my iPhone is just over a year old and works fast, I don't want it to become a brick already.

Does anyone have any ideas how I can turn this off whilst keeping other location services turned on? Would there be an option in a jailbreak?

Thanks

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Location services in iOS 8 is because find my friends is now built into the messages app. Nothing sinister. Locational data can't be pulled from an iMessage

mrmeister

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 26, 2010
Location services in iOS 8 is because find my friends is now built into the messages app. Nothing sinister. Locational data can't be pulled from an iMessage

But it can be pulled from Yosemite's desktop version - that's how I found out. My girlfriend forwarded me a screenshot of where I was at the time I sent the message...

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
But it can be pulled from Yosemite's desktop version - that's how I found out. My girlfriend forwarded me a screenshot of where I was at the time I sent the message...

Is it your computer signed in to your iCloud? If it is then that's why.

AsmaMohd

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2014
Pakistan
Follow the steps:

1. Go to Settings – Privacy – Location Services.

2. Use the top slider to turn location services on or off for all apps. If you choose to have Location Services on, as shown here, you can still turn them off for each app. Notice that Camera is set to “Off”.

mrmeister

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 26, 2010
Follow the steps:

1. Go to Settings – Privacy – Location Services.

2. Use the top slider to turn location services on or off for all apps. If you choose to have Location Services on, as shown here, you can still turn them off for each app. Notice that Camera is set to “Off”.

This doesn't work. As I said in my original post, I am on iOS 7. iOS 7 doesn't have the option to turn off Location Services for just the Messages app, and I don't want to turn Location Services off entirely.

mrmeister

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 26, 2010
And in the messages app on your girlfriends info tab your not sharing your location?

My location is being shared, because she was able to see where I sent the message from. If she clicks "Details" in Messages (Yosemite) it brings up all the photos in the current thread and a map, which shows the location.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
My location is being shared, because she was able to see where I sent the message from. If she clicks "Details" in Messages (Yosemite) it brings up all the photos in the current thread and a map, which shows the location.

Then your Coosing to share your location. Scroll down on that same screen and click stop sharing location.

white4s

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2011
New Jersey
My problem is that I'm on iOS 7 and apparently Messages is sending location data whenever I send a message. After looking at support it seems as though the guides are aimed at iOS 8 users, and the menus are not available in iOS7.

This doesn't work. As I said in my original post, I am on iOS 7. iOS 7 doesn't have the option to turn off Location Services for just the Messages app

Then your Coosing to share your location. Scroll down on that same screen and click stop sharing location.

he's made it clear more than once

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
he's made it clear more than once

So he has. Joys of long shifts and being half asleep I guess. My apologies op.

Side note tho do you have any other devices running iOS 8

Wait scrap that... Seriously my brain was just not engaged.

You say she's bring up photos you've sent her and a map. Is the map showing the location of each of the photos mate? Photos by default are geotagged.

Silversurfer741

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2018

The other guys response is untrue. There was an update which probably attached ‘Find My Friends’ to messages, but I think it still has something to do with whoever’s name your account is on.
So last year my GF talked me into switching from an Android to an iPhone. After agreeing to do so, we started an account with T Mobile under her name. After 6 months she told me to activate the ‘Share My Location’ option within the messages. I did and after that whenever she hit the ‘info’ button within the messages it displayed my current location.
So I tried it from my phone and it did not display her location. We both tried turning the ‘share location’ off and on with both of our phones and it did the same exact thing. Only she could see my location, I couldn’t see her’s.
I gave her **** about it stating she must not trust me and wants to keep dibs on me at all times. Granted I could look up her location from the ‘Find My Friends’ app, but only from the app, not within the text messages like her phone. Seemed bogus as hell if you ask me. Same exact phones, with the same exact carrier, and it would only work on her phone not mine.
I have nothing to hide so it’s whatever, but I will note that the app is not very accurate as opposed to the map within the messages. We tested it out already.
I never really liked Apple anyways.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.