Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iGeneo

macrumors demi-god
Jul 3, 2010
Semi-unrelated, but if you think you are exempt from the reach of China while you sit on your sofa in Seattle... you better rethink your VPN provider, a majority of them are based in China.

AlexGraphicD

Suspended
Oct 26, 2015
New York
Perhaps they're more concerned about what's happening closer to home, you know, like Republicans are, American first and all that jazz.
Yeah right, great way to dodge the elephant in the room.

What’s happening closer to home that concerns you?

What’s wrong with American first?
Do you look after the house of your neighbor first or after your own?

I guess some people never grow up. They remain an idealistic and gullible teen forever.

koruki

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2009
New Zealand

big riots happening, Police roll in with loud speakers saying to please disperse.. disperse now... .. these people stand their thinking OH IM STANDING IN FRONT OF A MOSQUE THEY CAN'T DO ANYTHING TO ME... .. listen to instructions. Don't even get me started with the "press" there, get a high vis checd and write PRESS with a sharpie and suddenly you're press. I've never seen a bigger bunch of heartless journalists, 12 of them with a little iphone filming an old man get beat then walk off after they've taken their photos.

Reactions: iGeneo

nvmls

Suspended
Mar 31, 2011

oh yeah really peaceful bunch ?

-Widespread inequality
-Minimum wage not up to inflation
-Privatization unchecked
-Government representing top 5 Hong Kongers

Many others corp media won't even mention.

1000 idiots damaging stuff don't override hundreds of thousands of legit peaceful protesters.

Last edited:

dannys1

macrumors 68040
Sep 19, 2007
UK
Yeah right, great way to dodge the elephant in the room.

What’s happening closer to home that concerns you?

What’s wrong with American first?
Do you look after the house of your neighbor first or after your own?

I guess some people never grow up. They remain an idealistic and gullible teen forever.

It's amazing you managed to prove my point whilst disagreeing with me in the first place.

What's wrong with American first? An absolutely bollock load, but I couldn't even be bothered to write it here.

cfurlin

Suspended
Jun 14, 2011
This is what happens when companies add virtue signaling as part of their product line. At some point it comes into conflict with the business and backfires.

Boo Hoo. No sympathy.

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2018
TBH profit does beat human rights every day. Look at how corporations treat their employees. The real question would be is it a human right to have this app? If it's being used to attack police then I would say no. Apple said in a statement that they verified this was the case. We have Waze in the USA but it's mostly meant to avoid speed traps. If it was being used on a mass level to attack police I think Apple would pull it.
So the MINORITY Trumps the Majority?

AlexGraphicD

Suspended
Oct 26, 2015
New York
It's amazing you managed to prove my point whilst disagreeing with me in the first place.

What's wrong with American first? An absolutely bollock load, but I couldn't even be bothered to write it here.

Just because you put your county first, that doesn't mean that you're automatically hating every other country in the world. It just means you are responsible and make sure you take care of your own house first like everybody else and there's nothing wrong with that.
You people have demonized patriotism and maybe you see in this country some things that you consider to be wrong but they're not actually wrong it's just your personal opinion.

Anyway, the point is that you tried to excuse the likes of Tim Cook that somehow they are unable to focus on injustices that happen simultaneously between two countries and that's totally ridiculous. And the bottomline is that any type of injustice that's happening in the US tight now doesn't compare in the slightest with the horrors that are taking place in China.

sdf

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2004
So profit over human rights, am I right?

Not at all. What's worse than some apps that allow government-disallowed communication?

Answer, obviously: None at all.

The hard move for Apple is to continue to play this game and get away with as much as they can. The easiest thing would be to pull out and deny users everything.

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
So the MINORITY Trumps the Majority?
Sometimes yes. It's like how gun control laws are being passed in an attempt to prevent a few criminals from killing people. Now some would argue that the majority of firearm owners rights shouldn't be hindered because of a few that commit crimes while others would argue that it's a small price to pay for safety.

GadgetBen

macrumors 68000
Jul 8, 2015
London
You sound like a person who believes everything you read in the newspaper.

Consider this (and I make up figures to illustrate my point):

-- e.g. Facebook messenger, iMessages, email etc are used by 100 million people. One hundred use it for criminal purposes. Do we ban everyone from using it?

-- the HongKong.live app was used by 1 million people to avoid the police. One hundred people (possibly plants by the Communists) used it to attack police. Do we pull the app?

You see, it's how you spin it.

The fact that you start making your point by saying that 'I make up figures to illustrate my point' invalidates your argument entirely. ?

Cleary, not a well educated approach to make up figures. You might as well make up sources as well.

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2018
Sometimes yes. It's like how gun control laws are being passed in an attempt to prevent a few criminals from killing people. Now some would argue that the majority of firearm owners rights shouldn't be hindered because of a few that commit crimes while others would argue that it's a small price to pay for safety.
With that argument we should require IDs to vote [Which we should. I mean crap, I have to show ID to buy booze and smokes and board an airplane]. It's a small price to pay for election safety.
[automerge]1571847119[/automerge]
The fact that you start making your point by saying that 'I make up figures to illustrate my point' invalidates your argument entirely. ?

Cleary, not a well educated approach to make up figures. You might as well make up sources as well.
A lesser educated approach is the one you just took: Since the example he gave didn't have exact valid numbers, his whole argument is invalid.

His point is extremely valid: Criminals use Facebook to commit crimes but you don't see Apple banning the Facebook app do you?

dannys1

macrumors 68040
Sep 19, 2007
UK
You people have demonized patriotism

Because patrontism is the belief of the utter moron, on so many levels. By the way I can't be bothered to read what you've written and I can't be bothered to explain why, you're obviously a lost cause. You're just wrong.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.