Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
Uh, it's Halloween... Ma Nature is going all out with her costumes up here tonight.

Everything but snow in that list of tricks. Guess that's for later in the week?

Trick or Treat from Ma Nature.jpg

SRLMJ23

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2008
Central New York
Uh, it's Halloween... Ma Nature is going all out with her costumes up here tonight.

Everything but snow in that list of tricks. Guess that's for later in the week?

Hey, I live in Utica and you are right...Mother Nature is throwing everything but snow at us, which apparently is coming later next week, :(!

I am not really worried about the flash flooding where I am, however, tomorrow (or really today since I am typing this at 4:30 in the morning) we are supposed to get some wicked wind, 25-40mph, with gusts up to 60mph! I live in a big condo building, on the seventh floor, and trust me, I will feel the building sway a little bit (nothing major) if we really get nailed with 60mph gusts. That is how the building was designed, but it is still a little freaky. All the tables and chairs on my balcony are going to blow all over even though I folded them all up and put some heavy weights on them. I am lucky in a way because I face directly East, and 99% of the time the wind comes from the West, so I feel bad for the people on that side of the building. Sometimes it comes from the South-West, so even the South side of the building gets nailed. The North and East sides are the best to live on here, unless we get a Nor'Easter...then my side is getting nailed.

I remember when I was a kid (I am only 34 now), we would have Halloweens that were beautiful...70-75 degrees. We also had Halloweens that were cold, and it rained or sometimes we got a slushy rain, and then of course we had them where there was just a little bit of snow covering the ground - nothing major. I never remember a Halloween with tons of snow. Most of the time when I was a kid, it was just in the low to mid 60's and clear or raining. Ehh, times are a changing...the weather ebbs and flows.

Last time I checked, next Thursday and Friday snow is in the forecast, however, you know how these weather apps are...they change every 15 minutes it seems. I know starting next Wednesday the temps really drop, especially the lows:

IMG_0082.PNG

I swear, in the winter I need to get the hell out of this state!!! I love the beauty of Spring, Summer, and especially Fall...heck...even Winter looks beautiful sometimes! It is not the snow that bothers me, it is the super cold, not talking 32 or a little bit lower. I am talking 10-0 degrees (Fahrenheit) or when it drops down into the negatives, say -10, but with the windchill, feels like -25. That is what I hate!

Though I must say, there is something very relaxing when it is snowing outside at a good clip, especially on a weekend, and you are inside by either a real fireplace (nothing beats that) or in my case a gas one (with real flame) and are nice and warm either reading a book, browsing the web, coding an app, or curling up with a significant other watching movies all day...or...sports, haha. This winter will be different for me unless I find a girlfriend quick, or I will be curling up by myself reading, messing around on the Mac/iPad/iPhone, or watching movies/sports on the ATV4K:(!!!

Anyway... @LizKat and anyone else who is in the path of this severe weather, BE SAFE!

PS: Sorry, I do not know how to "tag" someone in a post anymore? I swore it used to be a hashtag and then the username?

:apple:

Last edited:

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
Hey, I live in Utica and you are right...Mother Nature is throwing everything but snow at us, which apparently is coming later next week, :(!

I am not really worried about the flash flooding where I am, however, tomorrow (or really today since I am typing this at 4:30 in the morning) we are supposed to get some wicked wind, 25-40mph, with gusts up to 60mph! I live in a big condo building, on the seventh floor, and trust me, I will feel the building sway a little bit (nothing major) if we really get nailed with 60mph gusts. That is how the building was designed, but it is still a little freaky. All the tables and chairs on my balcony are going to blow all over even though I folded them all up and put some heavy weights on them. I am lucky in a way because I face directly East, and 99% of the time the wind comes from the West, so I feel bad for the people on that side of the building. Sometimes it comes from the South-West, so even the South side of the building gets nailed. The North and East sides are the best to live on here, unless we get a Nor'Easter...then my side is getting nailed.

I remember when I was a kid (I am only 34 now), we would have Halloweens that were beautiful...70-75 degrees. We also had Halloweens that were cold, and it rained or sometimes we got a slushy rain, and then of course we had them where there was just a little bit of snow covering the ground - nothing major. I never remember a Halloween with tons of snow. Most of the time when I was a kid, it was just in the low to mid 60's and clear or raining. Ehh, times are a changing...the weather ebbs and flows.

Last time I checked, next Thursday and Friday snow is in the forecast, however, you know how these weather apps are...they change every 15 minutes it seems. I know starting next Wednesday the temps really drop, especially the lows:

View attachment 874182

I swear, in the winter I need to get the hell out of this state!!! I love the beauty of Spring, Summer, and especially Fall...heck...even Winter looks beautiful sometimes! It is not the snow that bothers me, it is the super cold, not talking 32 or a little bit lower. I am talking 10-0 degrees (Fahrenheit) or when it drops down into the negatives, say -10, but with the windchill, feels like -25. That is what I hate!

Though I must say, there is something very relaxing when it is snowing outside at a good clip, especially on a weekend, and you are inside by either a real fireplace (nothing beats that) or in my case a gas one (with real flame) and are nice and warm either reading a book, browsing the web, coding an app, or curling up with a significant other watching movies all day...or...sports, haha. This winter will be different for me unless I find a girlfriend quick, or I will be curling up by myself reading, messing around on the Mac/iPad/iPhone, or watching movies/sports on the ATV4K:(!!!

Anyway..."LizKat", and anyone else who is in the path of this severe weather, BE SAFE!

PS: Sorry, I do not know how to "tag" someone in a post anymore? I swore it used to be a hashtag and then the username?

:apple:
Have you ever heard someone use the phrase 'steamed hams'? ?

To tag you use @ and the username - @SRLMJ23

Nice and mild here on the south coast of Blighty, a little damp but thankfully we don't get extremes of temperature or weather!

• Haha
Reactions: Huntn and LizKat

jeyf

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2009
This may the same weather we had earlier this week. Last Saturday was 75. Sunday was 25F with snow. A 2nd snow storm happened Tuesday morning. Some of the roads were out of control slick in random spots. It’s been dry recovering since.

I really like the weather graphs weatherunderground.com

Reactions: LizKat

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
I thought they just drive by now and throw the paper at your front yard. ;)

I used to sub on my brothers' bike-delivered paper routes sometimes when we were kids... talk about Halloween weather, it was Halloween 3 out of 4 seasons some mornings with all the cobwebs you could run into. And that was before some of the dogs. I learned to carry dog biscuits, yeah. Never figured out what to do about cobwebs, you couldn't really see them in the half-dark. I figured as long as their creepy-crawly little web-makers weren't still out on the line as I busted through, all good... I guess. Ugh!

Here in the wee hours of icy mornings, the guy who brought the paper before they went to mail delivery was a real artist at managing to jam the paper into the carrier box without taking his foot off the gas or god forbid stopping along the steep hills of his route around here. At least by time the mail carrier brings the thing nowadays in winter, the crews have plowed and sanded the roads.

Reactions: Huntn

mrex

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
europe
thank god it is getting cold... i dont tolerate heat at all. today i think it was around 0C today because there was frost/ice on the street.

i prefer winter to summer.

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
thank god it is getting cold... i dont tolerate heat at all. today i think it was around 0C today because there was frost/ice on the street.

I'm ready for winter too... it's not the cold that bugs me about winter, it's the damn darkness. My solution is pull the shades at dusk and pretend it's still light out there for awhile. "De Nial, a river in sunny Egypt..."

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Halloween - record snowfall here for October 31st. Beat the old record by 13 times. (.5 old X 13 = 6.5 new)
Nov. 1st - trees lost half their leaves . Raked leaves and snow off the lawn.

Reactions: LizKat and satcomer

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
First snowfall that looks to be sticking is coming down at the moment. Hah, I welcome it, it lessens the darkness a little bit to have the lawns and rooftops reflecting a bit more of whatever little light the "twilight" has on offer in November.

VulchR

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
First snowfall that looks to be sticking is coming down at the moment. Hah, I welcome it, it lessens the darkness a little bit to have the lawns and rooftops reflecting a bit more of whatever little light the "twilight" has on offer in November.

I love the peace of moonlit snow.... We're still getting squalls of rain. :(

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
You all can keep that snow, thank you very much! We are having a bit of rain right now but that's it as our temperature is still well above freezing, at 53 degrees Fahrenheit. That said, I see on our weather forecasts that tomorrow is supposed to be significantly colder and also rather blustery.... OK, that's fine, I'll dig out the heavy winter coat and bundle up -- but please, just no snow!!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.