Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
You all can keep that snow, thank you very much! We are having a bit of rain right now but that's it as our temperature is still well above freezing, at 53 degrees Fahrenheit. That said, I see on our weather forecasts that tomorrow is supposed to be significantly colder and also rather blustery.... OK, that's fine, I'll dig out the heavy winter coat and bundle up -- but please, just no snow!!!!

I'm not ready for serious snow yet either, even if I did get all excited about snow yesterday and so have dug out my shovels and the bucket of de-icer for the pathway from the back door to the driveway. But my long time snow plow guy retired as of last season, he'd been doing my driveways since I quit shoveling them by hand in the late 80s, so it remains to be seen how the new guy manages. At least I marked out the edges of the ditches with reflectors on metal posts so I won't have to be calling for a tractor to come and pull his truck back onto level ground. Not ready to put on my storm windows yet either really, there's always the odd one or two balmy days in November, so later for buttoning up the house that way, I like fresh air without having to go outside for it as long as possible!

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
You all can keep that snow, thank you very much! We are having a bit of rain right now but that's it as our temperature is still well above freezing, at 53 degrees Fahrenheit. That said, I see on our weather forecasts that tomorrow is supposed to be significantly colder and also rather blustery.... OK, that's fine, I'll dig out the heavy winter coat and bundle up -- but please, just no snow!!!!
Where do you live?

We had a cold front blow into Houston yesterday and the high today is 55F with light rain.
[automerge]1573222202[/automerge]
I'm not ready for serious snow yet either, even if I did get all excited about snow yesterday and so have dug out my shovels and the bucket of de-icer for the pathway from the back door to the driveway. But my long time snow plow guy retired as of last season, he'd been doing my driveways since I quit shoveling them by hand in the late 80s, so it remains to be seen how the new guy manages. At least I marked out the edges of the ditches with reflectors on metal posts so I won't have to be calling for a tractor to come and pull his truck back onto level ground. Not ready to put on my storm windows yet either really, there's always the odd one or two balmy days in November, so later for buttoning up the house that way, I like fresh air without having to go outside for it as long as possible!
In the last few years when we had a house in Minnesota, I hired service in Prior Lake who charged about $300 a season for snow removal, which was a pretty good price as I recall.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Where do you live?

We had a cold front blow into Houston yesterday and the high today is 55F with light rain.
[automerge]1573222202[/automerge]

In the last few years when we had a house in Minnesota, I hired service in Prior Lake who charged about $300 a season for snow removal, which was a pretty good price as I recall.

I'm in the Northern Virginia suburbs of Washington, DC. Today it is a mere 40 degrees out there -- Brrrrr!!! I have to go out, too, to run a couple of errands. Sigh...... I can deal with the cold, though, it's just the snow and ice that I don't like. Some winters we've had a lot of that, other winters only a few flakes and one or two average snowstorms with the rest of the time being very mild. I'm always hoping for the mild kind of winter!

Reactions: LizKat and Huntn

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
I'm in the Northern Virginia suburbs of Washington, DC. Today it is a mere 40 degrees out there -- Brrrrr!!! I have to go out, too, to run a couple of errands. Sigh...... I can deal with the cold, though, it's just the snow and ice that I don't like. Some winters we've had a lot of that, other winters only a few flakes and one or two average snowstorms with the rest of the time being very mild. I'm always hoping for the mild kind of winter!

I don't know what to expect with this weird winding down of the fall season. It's not so much the snow here, we do get early snowfalls in the Catskills and they don't amount to much lingering accumulation, since the weather is usually a bit warmer. But we have two days early next week where the forecasts for the overnight lows are in the 10º-13ºF range. That's VERY cold for this time of late autumn.

[ Y'all Canadians up by Santa Claus need to keep a better grip on this stuff for awhile yet if you don't mind ]

• Haha
Reactions: SRLMJ23

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
My brother lives in Vienn, Va. We grew up in DC/Upper Marlboro, Md so I keep tabs on DC weather. :)

ItsNotaTumor

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2016
31f when I went to my car this morning. Saw some flurries from my cubicle by the coast in NH.
Not enjoying this, I've barely put away my shorts from summer.

Reactions: LizKat

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
My brother lives in Vienn, Va. We grew up in DC/Upper Marlboro, Md so I keep tabs on DC weather. :)

I lived and worked in Vienna for quite a few years! The Town of Vienna is quite delightful and still has a bit of a "smalll town" feel even though it is smack-dab in highly urbanized Northern Virginia with a major shopping mall just beyond the town limits. Now I'm in an adjacent area, Falls Church, not too far from my previous home and drive by there from time to time. Traffic is getting worse and worse, with significant congestion even during non-rush-hour time frames. Metro helps to a certain degree but it doesn't keep everybody off the road and there are a lot of people whose jobs require that they drive or that are nowhere near a Metro station. Plus you have all the retirees like me driving around, too, during the day, and Moms or Childcare workers in SUVs......

Reactions: Huntn

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
Been getting some pretty wild temperature swings here lately. It was in the 70s yesterday, today its going to be in the low 30s.

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
Been getting some pretty wild temperature swings here lately. It was in the 70s yesterday, today its going to be in the low 30s.

We have the same thing now but a "lower octave": swings from 50ºF down to 10º in the overnights. The bottom end of that feels way too low for now, but that's just my opinion and means absolutely nothing to those Canadians who keep shoving that stuff our way. :)

• Sad
Reactions: SRLMJ23

SRLMJ23

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2008
Central New York
We have the same thing now but a "lower octave": swings from 50ºF down to 10º in the overnights. The bottom end of that feels way too low for now, but that's just my opinion and means absolutely nothing to those Canadians who keep shoving that stuff our way. :)

I live in Central New York (Utica,NY), and it is snowing on and off today! It is 33 degrees with a windchill of 28.7 degrees! We are looking at possibly 5-7 inches tonight and into tomorrow, which I know we have been "spoiled" sort of speak the past three to four years, but in my opinion it is too early for this right now!

I just had a feeling we were going to have a early winter this year, where we have been having "Indian Winters" the past few years. Oh well, part of living in CNY! I would prefer snow over frigid temperatures. but that is all in God's hands.

I wish my fellow MacRumors members that live in areas where it snows (Northeast etc...) that they have a protected winter, and are safe!

God bless everyone!

:apple:

lowendlinux

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2014
Germany
I miss the north country..my friends are ice fishing and have actual snow. Now that I'm in Germany there it's just cold and raining. I like snow and cold, I like summer provided it's not too hot, I dislike any transition that involves cold and rain.

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
I miss the north country..my friends are ice fishing and have actual snow. Now that I'm in Germany there it's just cold and raining. I like snow and cold, I like summer provided it's not too hot, I dislike any transition that involves cold and rain.

Yeah I'm not a fan of the mud season in pre-spring, nor of the autumn dark even when it's not raining.

I must say that where you were before you shipped out again, you guys usually got the serious snow and cold before shipping the leftovers downstate to us! I used to visit friends in Watertown area and once in awhile became their house guest thanks to a slightly underdone forecast or a shift of the lake winds in winter.

Here tonight into Wednesday we're supposed to get one to three inches with a temperature dive Tuesday night. But the snow will be gone by the weekend. I keep hoping for one more round of Indian summer before the real thing sets in.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
The front range is getting hammered again. Woke up to 8 inches of snow and it is still snowing. Over 500 flights have been cancelled out of DIA.

This has been a weird fall in Colorado. Can’t recall the last time I saw so much snow this early in the winter.

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
Meanwhile in the Catskills we're having a two-day thaw after a four-inch snowfall on Sunday... 54ºF high today and it felt like a heatwave after the teens during the late weekend, the FedEx guy was in shirtsleeves.

Needless to say that snow's long gone, and some rabbits were out early this morning sampling the lawn grasses that must have greeted the sunshine yesterday with equal enthusiasm. If they're young ones from this year then they're getting a fairly gentle and probably misleading introduction to winter. :)

jeyf

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2009
had a storm come through early Tuesday morning, left a foot of snow

just now post storm blues, Wednesday night; very cold over night?

Gutwrench

Suspended
Jan 2, 2011
After our wet summer I elected to go with the season fee for snow removal over the per event pricing. It’s looking to be the better choice as they’ve been out three times this week, including this morning at 6:00 am.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Yeah, it's a little cold.

40ºF in Phoenix. Our high of 58º today is not much better. Actually been having to use a jacket the last couple weeks.

jeyf

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2009
heavy snow here early Tuesday morning.
Still has not melted which is odd
cooler heavy clouds yesterday

i cant complain much. Took some extra strength to get out and about, especially yesterday. The side streets are icy snow packed in places

Lee_Bo

Cancelled
Mar 26, 2017
Clear and 55 degrees.

6ab006761980f724ba3cbf6d92ef1143.jpg

Reactions: JagdTiger
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.