Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 22, 2014
UK
Something weird going on. I happily watched the first few shows of TV+ in Dolby Vision. But since about two weeks I can only get UHD in HDR and no longer Dolby vision.

I’ve had this Apple TV 4K since launch and it was always fine with Dolby vision.

I’m at a loss.

Mr. Zarniwoop

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2005
Many have reported this. Seems like a streaming metadata issue with Apple TV+.

You can turn off Match Format if it’s bothering you. Otherwise I suspect it’ll get sorted soon.

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 22, 2014
UK
Many have reported this. Seems like a streaming metadata issue with Apple TV+.

You can turn off Match Format if it’s bothering you. Otherwise I suspect it’ll get sorted soon.
Switching off match format is worse as then the menu will become sluggish if I was to force it into DV all the time...
You mean HDR 10? How do you know that you are not getting Dolby vision?
Because my OLED doesn't switch to Dolby Vision, it switches from SDR to HDR.

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
Because my OLED doesn't switch to Dolby Vision, it switches from SDR to HDR.

So it says "HDR" then "SDR" on the TV? Need an exact description of what you see when it switches. Which OLED make/model do you have?

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 22, 2014
UK
As I said, it says HDR when switching and not Dolby Vision as it has been doing for whenever. It is an LG OLED.

Look I appreciate the help but I'm not new to Dolby Vision. Been running that on my LG OLED for several years now through my Oppo UHD Blu-Ray player. And was with the Apple 4K TV when it first came out, and then the first update enabled it. It was working perfectly fine and I was super impressed when TV+ broadcast in Dolby Vision and Atmos; but it just stopped and won't switch to Dolby Vision anymore when playing TV+ programmes despite clearly indicated as Dolby Vision and I was able to watch them up to two weeks ago like that.

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I'm running an Apple TV 4k and I no longer see the DV logo on my LG when watching Apple originals, only the HDR logo appears at the start of the show.

The DV logo appears when I watch movies from my iTunes library such as Mission Impossible Fallout.

Reactions: cyb3rdud3

MacManiac76

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2007
Arizona
Dolby Vision disappeared recently for all Apple TV+ shows and only show in HDR now for whatever reason. Even the show description when you press the Menu button while watching a show shows HDR instead of Dolby Vision like it used to. Hopefully it comes back soon.

• Wow

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
Something weird going on. I happily watched the first few shows of TV+ in Dolby Vision. But since about two weeks I can only get UHD in HDR and no longer Dolby vision.
I heard there's a software bug on the server side that will be soon corrected.

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 22, 2014
UK
Dolby Vision disappeared recently for all Apple TV+ shows and only show in HDR now for whatever reason. Even the show description when you press the Menu button while watching a show shows HDR instead of Dolby Vision like it used to. Hopefully it comes back soon.
Wow! That is a big problem. The DV was a big part of the production and made a real difference. I’m glad I’m not the only one.

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
Dolby Vision disappeared recently for all Apple TV+ shows

Not what I am seeing. Developer HUD for the Morning show clearly shows source and TV playback as Dolby Vision:

Screen Shot 2019-11-25 at 12.45.23 AM.png

Look I appreciate the help but I'm not new to Dolby Vision. Been running that on my LG OLED for several years now through my Oppo UHD Blu-Ray player.

In order to reproduce the problem one needs to know what to look for and where to look. Is the Dolby/HDR10 info showing up on a receiver? On the Apple TV when it starts up? On the TV? On the developer HUD? Running an Apple TV 4K through my Oppo to my OLED TV I am not having any problem.

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
As I said several times it is showing as HDR

What is "it"? Can't work the issue with incomplete information. It is not a general Apple TV issue affecting all users, even if I am the only one for which it works. For All Mankind and Dickinson all play perfectly in Dolby Vision.

MacManiac76

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2007
Arizona
Not what I am seeing. Developer HUD for the Morning show clearly shows source and TV playback as Dolby Vision:

View attachment 879118

In order to reproduce the problem one needs to know what to look for and where to look. Is the Dolby/HDR10 info showing up on a receiver? On the Apple TV when it starts up? On the TV? On the developer HUD? Running an Apple TV 4K through my Oppo to my OLED TV I am not having any problem.

Your HUD must be flawed then. I just tested most of the shows again and they all came up as HDR instead of Dolby Vision, except for Dickinson. Maybe Apple is fixing this issue today regionally, but for me in Arizona, it is still a problem. I am using an LG OLED TV that displays an HDR or Dolby Vision logo right when the video starts to confirm what is actually being displayed.

If you are getting Dolby Vision in all those shows, you must have Match Range off.

Last edited:

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
Your HUD must be flawed then.

Er, it's not not my HUD. It is the one supplied by Apple to their developers.

Yes, Match Content is off since I don't see any need for it. ATV4k setup (when it tests for dolby vision) sets it that way.

I am using an LG OLED TV that displays an HDR or Dolby Vision logo right when the video starts to confirm what is actually being displayed.

That is different than what I see on an LG C8. The Dolby vision logo only shows when the Apple TV 4k first starts up. Maybe your behavior is different since my video signal is passed to the TV via an Oppo. Since the HUD display is generated on the ATV4K I wouldn't think that the Oppo would be an explanation for the difference in the video-range reading.

If you install the Xcode developer HUD are your results different from mine?

MacManiac76

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2007
Arizona

Yes, Match Content is off since I don't see any need for it. ATV4k setup (when it tests for dolby vision) sets it that way.

That is different than what I see on an LG C8. The Dolby vision logo only shows when the Apple TV 4k first starts up. Maybe your behavior is different since my video signal is passed to the TV via an Oppo. Since the HUD display is generated on the ATV4K I wouldn't think that the Oppo would be an explanation for the difference in the video-range reading.

You are not viewing the true dynamic range of the video if you have Match Range off. If you set it to Dolby Vision in Settings with MR off, then anything and everything would appear on the HUD as DV regardless of if it really is or not. Turn Match Range on and see what you get on all those Apple TV+ shows. I have only been able to get true Dolby Vision on Dickinson, Ghostwriter & Snoopy in Space recently.

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 22, 2014
UK
You are not viewing the true dynamic range of the video if you have Match Range off. If you set it to Dolby Vision in Settings with MR off, then anything and everything would appear on the HUD as DV regardless of if it really is or not. Turn Match Range on and see what you get on all those Apple TV+ shows. I have only been able to get true Dolby Vision on Dickinson, Ghostwriter & Snoopy in Space recently.
Exactly that!!!

Switching match range (and frame rate) off on an LG OLED is not recommended and you won't get the best quality out of it. Lots of programmes are very different.
[automerge]1574903062[/automerge]

Well that explains it, you aren't watching true Dolby Vision as per the original source ;)

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
Well that explains it, you aren't watching true Dolby Vision as per the original source

That is not what the Xcode Developer HUD shows. It says the original source material and video output is Dolby Vision for the shows I tested.

I turned on Match content. The original source still shows Dolby Vision. However the display resolution changed to HDR10. When I left the the show the screen turned to random noise and then went dark. Tried several shows same thing. Turned off match content and everything now works fine.

niteflyr

macrumors 65816
Nov 29, 2011
Southern Cal
HDFan. With DV enabled and match content off on the ATV4K, the HUD shows all video output as DV. Stream an SDR movie with DV enabled and match content off and the HUD shows Source: SDR and Output: DV which is impossible. I guess the ATV4K is trying to upscale everything to DV with those settings.

Attachments

• IMG_1436.jpg
    IMG_1436.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 266

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
I played a Movies Anywhere 1080p Guardians of the Galaxy HD SDR in the Apple TV app. Actually I don't know how to actually verify in iTunes or the Apple TV app the format as it simply starts playing without any information. The information I get is from the iTunes store or if I do a search in the Apple TV app. When I do the search in the app the splash screen shows just HD for the movie.

When I play it I get

Apple Developer HUD SDR.png

the HUD shows Source: SDR and Output: DV which is impossible. I guess the ATV4K is trying to upscale everything to DV with those settings.

Certainly sounds as if it upscaling/mapping?

niteflyr

macrumors 65816
Nov 29, 2011
Southern Cal
Certainly sounds as if it upscaling/mapping?

I agree. I set the ATV4K to 4K SDR/60 with match content range and frame rate on. My LG OLED then confirms when it switches to HDR or DV as the movie starts. I think that's the way to go to get consistent native resolution.

Last edited:

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
I set the ATV4K to 4K SDR/60 with match content range and frame rate on. My LG OLED then confirms when it switches to HDR or DV as the movie starts. I think that's the way to go to get consistent native resolution.

Guess it depends on the installation. In my environment turning those off gives the best result since I have the Oppo doing the upscaling (I think ...). Stays in DV regardless of the source so don't get those flashing messages.

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 22, 2014
UK
Guess it depends on the installation. In my environment turning those off gives the best result since I have the Oppo doing the upscaling (I think ...). Stays in DV regardless of the source so don't get those flashing messages.
Whatever you prefer, I keep my menus in SDR/50 to get a smoother and quicker response, but predominantly such that local native format content plays well and smoothly for badly coded catch up tv / ondemand apps that dont do auto switching.

Eitherway we have established it isn't working for you either and that you watch a lot of fake DV ;)

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
There has been a change since I last ran my tests. Episodes which the Developer Playback HUD previously said were DV are now shown as HDR10.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.