Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
Tried it out on my Xs Max, running EE as an eSIM and Vodafone physical SIM, switching data to come from one one network and then the other. Personal hotspot works for both networks.

After a very shaky first go at trying to get eSIM working (EE inadvertently talked me into killing my connection entirely!), I'm pleased with the implementation. I've set my work contacts to come through on the Vodafone physical SIM, and my personal contacts on my EE eSIM. The two don't mix and I'm more than happy that I'm not going to accidentally call colleagues from my personal line. Only use Whatsapp for personal use, so no issue running two numbers. Only downside is iMessage not supporting both of my EE and Vodafone connections, but then work picks up the cost of colleagues sending me picture messages and vice-versa.

This is exactly what my setup is, however, I need to be able to use WhatsApp for the business number as well. Hope WhatsApp brings the dual number registration soon to the iOS client.

Reactions: jacklivehere

jacklivehere

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2014
Utopia
Does anyone else use 2 sims and CarPlay? I seem to be having issues with my physical sim and CarPlay.

After about 30 seconds on a call on my physical EE sim, CarPlay crashes and cuts the call off, sometimes crashes completely and goes back to the cars infotainment system, other times it just goes back to CarPlay and cuts the call off. Always after about 30 seconds.

Anyone else getting this? My eSim doesn’t seem to have this issue?
I had once this issue and phone got hung.
Couldn’t use apps until I waited for battery to die and restart . But never after that

spinstorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 14, 2007
Can someone confirm to me the way to activate the eSim?

I am not sure that the EE customer service really know what they are talking about...

LewisChapman

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2015
Has anyone used EE esim with their 2018 iPad Pros?

Yeh all working for me. You can only have one SIM active though, no dual sim with an additional physical SIM.

Was a bit hit or miss to start with and EE had to activate the eSIM for me over the phone in the end.

stomer

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2007
Leeds, UK
Can someone else who has an esim setup alongside an actual sim verify whether quick reply via iMessage notification works?
Tapping on the blue send button is broken for me ever since I switched to an esim.

LewisChapman

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2015
Can someone else who has an esim setup alongside an actual sim verify whether quick reply via iMessage notification works?
Tapping on the blue send button is broken for me ever since I switched to an esim.

Works fine for me.

logib

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2017
About to purchase iPhone XS Max HK dual sim, would I have any probs adding my Apple Watch 4 Vodafone UK Cellular? I assume it’s tied/paired to the physical sim and not the iPhone? Cheers

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016

Do you get an error stating something like - iMessage needs to be setup for it to work?!

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
Can someone confirm to me the way to activate the eSim?

I am not sure that the EE customer service really know what they are talking about...

You just request to convert your physical SIM card to an eSim and they send you a QR code in a snail mail. Once you have it, go to your phone settings and add a line, scan the code and follow the steps to choose your primary / secondary line for call and data etc. That’s it.

Although, there’s a chance that you may lose service between when you request the eSim until you set it up.

d123

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2009
Earth
You just request to convert your physical SIM card to an eSim and they send you a QR code in a snail mail. Once you have it, go to your phone settings and add a line, scan the code and follow the steps to choose your primary / secondary line for call and data etc. That’s it.

Although, there’s a chance that you may lose service between when you request the eSim until you set it up.

You should also be able to get it done in an EE store.

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
You should also be able to get it done in an EE store.

Don’t think so. They messed me about and converted my eSim to physical sim again. I think the only way to get an eSim is to call customer service and get it via post.

JDP1970

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2014
Don’t think so. They messed me about and converted my eSim to physical sim again. I think the only way to get an eSim is to call customer service and get it via post.

My Wife got an eSim last weekend from an EE store.

Reactions: d123

d123

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2009
Earth

I know a few people who have successfully got eSims from EE stores (including me).

Some stores were just a bit hesitant to hand them out at first.

Reactions: akash.nu

Farsider

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2014
London, UK
I got my eSIM from an EE store in London. I just walked in, explained that I wanted to move my service to an eSIM for use with my iPhone XS Max. The nice girl new exactly what I meant and what needed to happen. She did it all all in store end to end. Took about 10 mins. Very easy and no cost involved.

Reactions: d123

KaPOWitsCHRIS

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2010
United Kingdom
No news of EE Prepay eSIM? Or Vodafone supporting it?

Nothing from Vodafone, but apparently they are like that - they won't say anything until it's literally about to launch, which is rather annoying. If we look at their history, it seems they are always a year behind EE for iPhone/Apple features and still no visual voicemail!

Tidybeard

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2018
Nothing from Vodafone, but apparently they are like that - they won't say anything until it's literally about to launch, which is rather annoying. If we look at their history, it seems they are always a year behind EE for iPhone/Apple features and still no visual voicemail!

This is incredibly annoying - I renewed my personal contract with Vodafone for a year just after the ESIM went live after a customer service rep told me their support was imminent...months later and still no word.

I'm struggling with the logic to be honest - this is a killer feature for users who currently carry two phones on different networks (I'm one of them, work (EE) and personal) and it was widely touted by Apple on launch. However, it seems the only way you can use it for the foreseeable future (in the UK at least) is to have two lines with EE, and even then EE don't support corporate connections on ESIM so you have to have your contracts the right way round. So much for customer choice and competition!

netdudeuk

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2012
Yeh all working for me. You can only have one SIM active though, no dual sim with an additional physical SIM.

Was a bit hit or miss to start with and EE had to activate the eSIM for me over the phone in the end.

How are you doing for speed ? I get a pathetic 6/2 with my Three SIM and have been considering getting a BT (EE) SIM for my 11” IPP.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.