Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

magicMac

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2010
UK
Didn’t see it mentioned on this thread yet, but o2-uk will be adding eSIM support in H1 2019. O2 in Spain and o2 in Germany already support it.

magicMac

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2010
UK
not on prepaid though, consumer contract only iirc.

ah yes, sorry misread your post. The only one i'm aware of is EE on the iPad. It's more the embedded AppleSIM though. You can pay up-front for data on EE to use over a day, week or month without visiting the EE store for a SIM card. Nothing for the iPhone AFAIK.

Reactions: dabotsonline

magicMac

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2010
UK
not saying it isn't true, and I hope they do add this support ! (although I personally won't benefit being on an older iPhone 8), I am just wondering what the original source is for this information since it is not on news.o2.co.uk and they normally make posts for stuff like this. Only gizmodo are reporting it.

edit: it was also posted in their community: https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Welcome-News/O2-announces-eSIM/m-p/1253235

Last edited:
Reactions: dabotsonline

magicone

macrumors member
Apr 26, 2015
I have now moved over from EE to O2 . I had to port over to a physical O2 sim and then obtained a esim pack from O2 customer services which took 2 working days. The e-sim didnt work properly for the first day so had to reset network settings on iPhone 11 Pro and it is working perfectly. I also am now using O2 for my apple watch and that is working fine.

Last edited:
Reactions: adrianlondon

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
The whole eSim business has not really been implemented properly across multiple carriers in the uk. It’s way too painful at present to switch carriers or devices.

Reactions: limajpeg
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.