Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fjs08

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 25, 2003
I am Unable to move and scale wallpaper
I choose my photo, move it,but it snaps back. IOS 6 allowed me to 2 finger pinch. What am I doing wrong?
Thx
Frank

blhoward2

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2012
I can't either. You can zoom in but not out at all...ios 6 used to simply add black if you went too far out.

Puonti

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2011
It sounds like you have the parallax wallpaper feature enabled (it's on by default). I believe it requires 200 pixels of the picture's width and height to remain outside the screen to allow for the parallax motion. If you pinch the picture out so that less than 200 pixels of width and / or height remain outside the screen, it bounces back in.

To get rid of the parallax effect, go to Settings -> General - Accessibility -> Reduce Motion and enable it.

Alternatively, if you've cropped a larger image to use as a wallpaper, reduce cropping to make the image larger and thus leave room for the parallax effect.

Last edited:

fjs08

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 25, 2003
That fixed it but I don't really understand what that feature does in general ???
Thx
Frank

Puonti

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2011
You're welcome.

Parallax wallpaper makes your wallpaper image and app icons move around slightly when you turn your phone in your hand. To test it, turn off Reduce Motion for a moment and go to your home screen. Hold the phone in your hand and turn it slightly sideways. You should see the wallpaper and icons move around, as if the wallpaper was further back and you were peeking around the icons to see behind them.

mngator96

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2013
The only sort of fix I can find is to go to your photos and edit the photo you want and stretch it to how you want it to look and then take a screen shot and then use the photo created by that screen shot for your wallpaper.

To take a screen shot:

1. Press and hold down Home (round button center bottom)
2. Press and release Sleep (top right button of phone)
2a. You will hear a camera-like shutter sound

pear21

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2012
Michigan
It sounds like you have the parallax wallpaper feature enabled (it's on by default). I believe it requires 200 pixels of the picture's width and height to remain outside the screen to allow for the parallax motion. If you pinch the picture out so that less than 200 pixels of width and / or height remain outside the screen, it bounces back in.

To get rid of the parallax effect, go to Settings -> General - Accessibility -> Reduce Motion and enable it.

Alternatively, if you've cropped a larger image to use as a wallpaper, reduce cropping to make the image larger and thus leave room for the parallax effect.

Very helpful tip, I found some photos I wanted to use for my background but I was also having this issue, i like the motion on the device though so I guess I will have to look for some more pictures. Im not a huge fan of how the apps open and close when you have the parallax turned off. Thanks though!

Micah276

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2018
I am Unable to move and scale wallpaper
I choose my photo, move it,but it snaps back. IOS 6 allowed me to 2 finger pinch. What am I doing wrong?
Thx
Frank
[doublepost=1532542108][/doublepost]Weirdly, I updated as a developer to iOS 12 Beta 4 and it completely fixed my problem. Not sure if that was a bug fix with updating to this version, or if it just happened to fix the problem for some other reason. Not sure if this option is available to everyone cause I know not all are software developers, but it fixed the problem for me. Hope this helps!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.