Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gigatoaster

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 22, 2018
France
Hello there

I use Weblock and contacted them about this issue. They are telling me they can’t block YouTube ads for the moment.

However, I use Opera on my MacBook Pro, both professional & personal with uBlock Origin and ads get blocked.

I can blacklist some URLs in Weblock and I was wondering if you knew what URLs should be blocked to block ads in YouTube.

I’m talking of the YouTube app on iPhone.

max2

macrumors 603
May 31, 2015
Hello there

I use Weblock and contacted them about this issue. They are telling me they can’t block YouTube ads for the moment.

However, I use Opera on my MacBook Pro, both professional & personal with uBlock Origin and ads get blocked.

I can blacklist some URLs in Weblock and I was wondering if you knew what URLs should be blocked to block ads in YouTube.

I’m talking of the YouTube app on iPhone.

It is possible but you got to jailbreak.

I know I know most people don't want to jailbreak.

Oh well.

gigatoaster

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 22, 2018
France
Thanks for your message. I’m not confident with Jailbreak & I use a work email app on my phone, unfortunately.

Maybe I should look for another app, then. Which one would you recommend to block ads in YouTube app?

Or shall I go all the way to Pi-hole but not sure if it would work on the go.

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands
You have two options on iOS:
1) Subscribe to YouTube for 10+ dollar a month so you will no longer have ads, play offline and play in background
2) Look for a third party YouTube app that doesn't have ads but keep in mind that Google might ask Apple to remove the app and that YouTube constantly changes their API which could lead that the app won't work after a few week, months,...

Until recently we had e.g. Musi (site, Twitter) where you could pay once (4 or 5 dollar I think) to remove the ads within the app and not have any ads in the videos and had background audio.

Last edited:

poutylips

macrumors newbie
Aug 1, 2019
The easiest way to have ad-free YouTube viewing is to switch your iPhone Safari browser to desktop mode.

gigatoaster

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 22, 2018
France
I looked around and apparently it is not possible to block YouTube ads, this is very surprising, did they won the adblock ads war?

Even Pi-Hole is not sufficient. Apparently they embed ads video in the video stream so even DNS blocking is useless. I can't find any URL ads, either. I can block ads on Opera with my Mac but not on iOS. Only alternative is to pay their subscription...if anyone though managed to block ads on the YouTube apps...I'll try the website through Safari meanwhile and that could be a decent alternative.

Last edited:

max2

macrumors 603
May 31, 2015
I looked around and apparently it is not possible to block YouTube ads, this is very surprising, did they won the adblock ads war?

Even Pi-Hole is not sufficient. Apparently they embed ads video in the video stream so even DNS blocking is useless. I can't find any URL ads, either. I can block ads on Opera with my Mac but not on iOS. Only alternative is to pay their subscription...if anyone though managed to block ads on the YouTube apps...I'll try the website through Safari meanwhile and that could be a decent alternative.

They didn't win.

Klatti

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2012
Germany
I’m using Blockr X on both my iPad and iPhone. No ads in safari on either the mobile or desktop YouTube website. It’s super easy, so I don’t get your problem at all.

Through the app is impossible without the subscription tho.

gigatoaster

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 22, 2018
France
Yes, the problem is the YouTube app, no one is able to block ads, apparently. I am using the website instead if the app and of course I have messages to push me to use the app, there are less controls, like it is impossible to change the quality of the stream. I have to concede that they did well on that YouTube. I wonder if something will come up.

max2

macrumors 603
May 31, 2015
Yes, the problem is the YouTube app, no one is able to block ads, apparently. I am using the website instead if the app and of course I have messages to push me to use the app, there are less controls, like it is impossible to change the quality of the stream. I have to concede that they did well on that YouTube. I wonder if something will come up.

I disagree.

Klatti

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2012
Germany
Anyone managed to disable ads in YouTube app? Meanwhile I’m using the website instead.

It’s not possible without a jailbreak.
I’ve also tried PiHole. No success either.
Either keep using safari or use a VPN to subscribe to YouTube Premium via India. cheapest rate worldwide.

gigatoaster

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 22, 2018
France
Thanks. No sure I will go jailbreak because I have some work apps and that might not be allowed or possible for me.

Suspended
Oct 2, 2016
Block ads and f$$$ up content creators. At this rate we won’t have any content in the upcoming years.

Klatti

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2012
Germany
Block ads and f$$$ up content creators. At this rate we won’t have any content in the upcoming years.

What a ridiculous answer. Look at the top creators. Those people earn millions of money, which a hardworking worker will never earn their whole life. It’s getting out of hands.

Suspended
Oct 2, 2016
What a ridiculous answer. Look at the top creators. Those people earn millions of money, which a hardworking worker will never earn their whole life. It’s getting out of hands.
YouTube isn’t based on top creators only, also where did they come from? Don’t you know you start from 0?

gigatoaster

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 22, 2018
France
Hello there
Any news on whether there is a way to block ads within the app? I read somewhere they are changing T&Cs and they could ban users if they use adblocker (“not commercially viable”).

Reactions: max2
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.