Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

manyelski

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 3, 2014
Hello all, after the last two updates my ipad pro 12.9’ 2nd gen has issues with not responsive screen often. I need to exit the application or click the home button multiple times or lock the screen and all goes well after. Did a factory reset but nothing helped. Anyone else with the same issue? I hope it is software

Reactions: red41 and Royeti

ctg7w6

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2014
Same issue but have had it for a while longer. Same model though. Never figured out what the deal is EXCEpT that the Apple Pencil doesn’t ever have the problem, even as I ineffectually touch the screen with my fingers. If anyone has a solution please let us know!

Reactions: harriska2

Executor

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2008
NYC
Hello all, after the last two updates my ipad pro 12.9’ 2nd gen has issues with not responsive screen often. I need to exit the application or click the home button multiple times or lock the screen and all goes well after. Did a factory reset but nothing helped. Anyone else with the same issue? I hope it is software

I am experiencing the same problem. I was about to contact Apple care. My wife even noticed how unresponsive it is compared to her first Generation IPad Pro. I don’t think it is software. It happened at least over the last 3 iOS updates and it happens after a complete wipe of the system.

Srrueda

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2018
Same with mine. The onscreen keyboard buttons get stuck, have to press a certain letter multiple times. Just started noticing it after latest update

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
Mine has become a bit glitchy as well under 11.3 Granted, I had some of the same issues in iOS 10 about 5-6 weeks after I bought the 2nd gen on launch day last year. I will watch it more carefully, as seemed to have fixed itself until I upgraded to 11.3.

If I can recreate the freezing and non-responsiveness, I will take it into Apple.

canesalato

Cancelled
Jan 31, 2010
I used to have it with 11.0, then apple replaced it and it went away. Then my second unit started doing it again recently, around 11.2.
There are many discussions online about this problem, including in the iFixit forums. Seems to be hardware.

Eric5273

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2009
New Jersey
I have this same issue with my 10.5. What ALWAYS seems to fix it (temporarily) is to completely clean the screen with a microfiber cloth. My theory is that the new high-refresh-rate screen introduced on the second gen 12.9 and the 10.5 is more sensitive to touch than previous iPad screens, and therefore begins to sense dirt and grime on the screen even when the screen is only slightly smudged. It senses this dirt/grime as if there are other fingers touching the screen, which causes the screen to sometimes become unresponsive or become jumpy instead of having normal smooth movements.

This would also explain why the Apple Pencil always works fine, which is that it has palm rejection, thus rejecting the dirt/grime which otherwise would cause the issue.

Typically if I exit the app and go right back in (no need to even force quit the app), that will do the trick. I think that causes the touch screen to reset itself. Eventually if I don’t clean my iPad screen for a few days, it will happen more and more often, and will seem as if the screen is very glitchy. However, cleaning the screen once again restores its function to like-new again, at least for a few hours of use until the problem resurfaces.

I’ve considered getting a tempered glass screen protector with an oleophobic coating as a possible fix. Has anyone who has this issue tried using a screen protector? In theory, that could solve the issue (if my theory is correct).

Super_Luminal

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2017
I’ve had a similar problem and just got it fixed last week. 2nd gen pro 12.9. It might not be your same issue, but it sounds like some people are mentioning what I had.

For me, over time the touch input would occasionally respond intermittently but the pen always worked. I waited a few weeks or months, updated the OS, tried a reset, etc, but it was still there.

I took it to the apple store and was worried I wouldn’t be able to recreate the issue, since it was intermittent, and that they’d give me the run around.

But I started explaining the problem and before I could even finish, the employee pointed out that he could see the backlight shining through from the edge of the display. I hadn’t even noticed it, but once he pointed it out it was definitely visible. He said sometimes the glue used on the screens can have problems over time, which can cause the screens to separate and lead to touch response issues.

They replaced it immediately, I was very pleased, I had forgotten how responsive this iPad can be. I do have AppleCare, but they should replace it regardless, if this is your issue.

Good luck.
[doublepost=1528005803][/doublepost]I should have gone to the Apple Store much sooner. If there isn’t an Apple Store near you then call Apple. Just do it.

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Thanks for the posts, the backlight issue is troubling especially if they know the screens could separate from problems with the glue. Will watch mine closely.

Wish everyone luck with theirs.

canesalato

Cancelled
Jan 31, 2010
I have this same issue with my 10.5. What ALWAYS seems to fix it (temporarily) is to completely clean the screen with a microfiber cloth. My theory is that the new high-refresh-rate screen introduced on the second gen 12.9 and the 10.5 is more sensitive to touch than previous iPad screens, and therefore begins to sense dirt and grime on the screen even when the screen is only slightly smudged. It senses this dirt/grime as if there are other fingers touching the screen, which causes the screen to sometimes become unresponsive or become jumpy instead of having normal smooth movements.

This would also explain why the Apple Pencil always works fine, which is that it has palm rejection, thus rejecting the dirt/grime which otherwise would cause the issue.

Typically if I exit the app and go right back in (no need to even force quit the app), that will do the trick. I think that causes the touch screen to reset itself. Eventually if I don’t clean my iPad screen for a few days, it will happen more and more often, and will seem as if the screen is very glitchy. However, cleaning the screen once again restores its function to like-new again, at least for a few hours of use until the problem resurfaces.

I’ve considered getting a tempered glass screen protector with an oleophobic coating as a possible fix. Has anyone who has this issue tried using a screen protector? In theory, that could solve the issue (if my theory is correct).
Hi Eric. I have a a tempered glass screen protector. Unfortunately with or without, the problem is still there. :-/

Donoban

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2013
I used to have it with 11.0, then apple replaced it and it went away. Then my second unit started doing it again recently, around 11.2.
There are many discussions online about this problem, including in the iFixit forums. Seems to be hardware.

Same. My replacement is doing it also. Does that meant all ipp have this issue? Super annoying.

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
The touch on mine is going bonkers, I just did a complete DFU to 11.4. If that freeze issue and stuttering of ProMotion in Safari persists where I can recreate the problem, it's going to Apple.

This issue never happened previously, but I have experienced other touch related problems since about 6 weeks after purchase on launch day last year.

seadragon

Contributor
Mar 10, 2009
I’m debating taking mine to the Apple store (12.9 second gen). I’ve had trouble with intermittent touch since I bought in last July. Especially noticeable when typing with onscreen keyboard. The angle seems to affect it. But, it has a gorgeous screen and I hate playing the screen lottery.

cobracnvt

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2017
Just to provide a data point, I have the 2nd generation 12.9 that I got last Summer, fully updated and haven't had any of these issues. I do have a glass screen protector on it.

seadragon

Contributor
Mar 10, 2009
Well, I took mine in today. The Apple Genius ran some diagnostics on it and then he saw the issue for himself. He was dragging items around the screen and tapping in different spots and saw that it would stop responding and not register every touch. I explained too that it was really acting up last weekend when I was using the iTunes Remote app. When I would touch a song, the item highlights in blue as it should but in my case it would then start flickering and usually "let go" of the item even though I was still holding my finger on it.

Definitely a hardware issue with the digitizer and the genius said the same thing.

So, I got a new white box replacement and its working great so far.

iPad Pro 12.9 2nd Gen 512 GB Cellular Space Grey.

danmart

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2015
Lancs, UK
before I could even finish, the employee pointed out that he could see the backlight shining through from the edge of the display. I hadn’t even noticed it, but once he pointed it out it was definitely visible. He said sometimes the glue used on the screens can have problems over time, which can cause the screens to separate and lead to touch response issues.
That’s really useful information, thanks for sharing. Now that I know this is a thing, I can see the backlight at the edge of my screen, too. Just been on to Apple Support and will be taking it in asap!

danmart

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2015
Lancs, UK
I’ve taken mine in for assessment. The store manager also said that battery swelling could cause this problem.

I’ll update when I hear on outcome, hoping for a replacement device.

ctg7w6

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2014
I have intermittent unresponsiveness on my 2nd gen 12.9. Never unresponsive with Apple Pencil.
BUT, just had Apple replace my iPhone X because it wouldn’t accept input a lot of the time, or would accept a “click” and then “release” it, as someone here was describing. I had erased the entire phone through dfu but it was still doing it, so hardware issue. New phone set up with backup so not a software issue, it works fine.

Not sure what to do about iPad though. Seems to work better when I clean it constantly. My current hypothesis is that finger oil makes the new type of screen, promotion or whatever, more unresponsive on iPads, but I don’t know.

tavaren11

macrumors newbie
May 28, 2010
I am on my way to the local Apple Store to get my second replacement unit. My gen 1 was perfect as are those of my colleagues but my gen 2 has had the same issue twice but Apple Pencil works perfectly. Looking forward to gen 3.

danmart

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2015
Lancs, UK
Small update re repair of my device. I’ve received an email saying that ‘parts have been ordered’ so I take that as an indication that there is a problem that qualifies under warranty.

I’ll share the specifics once I learn what they have replaced / done. The store manager suggested they would likely just swap the device by this implies an actual fix.

ETA: according to email time stamps it only took them 6 minutes to diagnose this :)

Last edited:

danmart

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2015
Lancs, UK
Update: my 12.9 was replaced. I asked the store team member if the notes on the system said what was wrong with the original device. All it said was that they had activated my iPad as a new device, been able to reproduce the error, and the hardware was free from any indications of damage. So it was replaced.

Just restoring it from back up now...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.