Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

evoga

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2014
My 12.9 1TB iPad Pro also has a unresponsive screen and this problem and is slowly worsening.

My iPad has been handled carefully, never left the house or been dropped.

I have AppleCare but by all reports Apple still won’t admit any defect.

Only option seems to be to replace the iPad in the store and then resell the unopened iPad and purchase a Microsoft surface.

muzzy996

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2018
Only option seems to be to replace the iPad in the store and then resell the unopened iPad and purchase a Microsoft surface.

You’re not alone pondering a platform switch. I’m keeping my eyes on the Surface Pro X but am cautiously optimistic. If anything I’d still at least have a mini 5 along side a surface.

There’s surely many people who don’t have issues with their touchscreens though so i’m hopeful that a replacement will work out.

Reactions: DragonX

cap7ainclu7ch

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2010
Has anyone noticed that the issue has gone away recently? After the most recent updates I haven't really noticed any unresponsive inputs.

Reactions: Nugget

seadragon

Contributor
Mar 10, 2009
Not mine. Same crap from iOS 11 thru 13.2.3. However, I literally punched my screen with the side of my closed fist and it’s working fine now. I did this once before and it waa fine for a few months. Was really bad again until I smacked it. Definitely a hardware issue.

Last edited:

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
Has anyone noticed that the issue has gone away recently? After the most recent updates I haven't really noticed any unresponsive inputs.

Hasn’t gone away for my legacy device. On number 5 and I finally gave up. Using it as a test bed and TV device.
Using an IPP 11 and have not seen any issue with this generation thankfully.

Running 13.3 PB on the 12.9 G2.

Reactions: pdoherty

mia-rafael

Suspended
May 21, 2016
Now that you mention it, I can't remember the last time it happened to me. Used to be a frequent and frustrating occurrence.
its almost (rarely happens) but i cant tell as i got a bluetooth pen from china that works flawless across all my devices i love it! ($10 bucks!)

apple for nefarious behavior against their customers to buy new products has to stop!
thy should **** over to software if they cant make anything faster!

macdragonfl

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale,Fl
Prove to us all that your not another apple cyber troll helping cover up issues from the public, show us the paperwork, shmear out your name if you like, Apple never replaces a none apple care device, under warranty they only charge for a service when its hardware they cant identify as user abuse
I don't know where you are located but Apple has replaced products with only one year warranty for me. I had iPhone replaced easily twice. I had a 2 gen 12.9 with the screen issues on this thread. It was 2 months out of warranty, they still offered me a refurb 12.9 or the cost of that credited to a new get a new 3rd gen. I choose the latter. This experience is in this thread posted in late February 2019. I've had no issues with the new 3rd gen whatsoever. I also bought a second for my spouse no issues on the second on either. You seem to imply you know more than anyone else on this thread about the internals of Apple operations with no credibility whatsoever. Why should anyone have to prove anything to you? And should we consider and accuse you of being an anti-Apple cyber troll?

Last edited:

Codeseven

macrumors 6502a
Dec 31, 2008
Hmmm, come to think of it, I totally forgot I had the problem! Must have been one of the iOS Updates but I don’t know which one.

DragonX

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2013
I don't know where you are located but Apple has replaced products with only one year warranty for me. I had iPhone replaced easily twice. I had a 2 gen 12.9 with the screen issues on this thread. It was 2 months out of warranty, they still offered me a refurb 12.9 or the cost of that credited to a new get a new 3rd gen. I choose the latter. This experience is in this thread posted in late February 2019. I've had no issues with the new 3rd gen whatsoever. I also bought a second for my spouse no issues on the second on either. You seem to imply you know more than anyone else on this thread about the internals of Apple operations with no credibility whatsoever. Why should anyone have to prove anything to you? And should we consider and accuse you of being an anti-Apple cyber troll?

Unfortunately replacement is not a guarantee these days. I faced 3 iPad replacements and all of them finally stopped reacting to touch. Apple did it for free indeed. But when the warranty eventually ended up they declined another replacement. My replacements started developing the same touch screen problem after 3-4 months, not immediately.

This problem was fixed with IpadOS 13.1 in my Ipad pro 12.9 3rd gen.

You were probably facing a different problem - mostly with YouTube and Safari. That one is a rare software problem that can be fixed by an update.

People here are facing a different, hardware problem (a modern iPad disease), that cannot be fixed by any updates or software patches. Touch screen just becomes worse and worse over time until it almost stops working.

Codeseven

macrumors 6502a
Dec 31, 2008
Unfortunately replacement is not a guarantee these days. I faced 3 iPad replacements and all of them finally stopped reacting to touch. Apple did it for free indeed. But when the warranty eventually ended up they declined another replacement. My replacements started developing the same touch screen problem after 3-4 months, not immediately.

I agree that replacing a broken product with yet another broken product is a total waste of time and the reason I never did utilize my Apple Care plan to uselessly replace my IPP for another one.

[/QUOTE] You were probably facing a different problem - mostly with YouTube and Safari. That one is a rare software problem that can be fixed by an update.

People here are facing a different, hardware problem (a modern iPad disease), that cannot be fixed by any updates or software patches. Touch screen just becomes worse and worse over time until it almost stops working.
[/QUOTE]

My IPP was behaving exactly as you describe, and getting worse. I was convinced it was a hardware problem. But the problem is gone now so it must have been an iOS Update that fixed it.

But, if that’s the case, there should be many others here that can verify the same.

QUESTION: Who all has had they’re screen freeze problem vanish (as mine did) since updating to the last couple of iOS versions please chime in.

Last edited:

muzzy996

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2018
You were probably facing a different problem - mostly with YouTube and Safari. That one is a rare software problem that can be fixed by an update.

Yup, in my case it definitely was hardware related; the issue persisted despite updating up to 13.2 before I shipped it back at the end of October. I believed it to be a loose/bad connection internally as I could sometimes massage the back of the ipad in the vicinity of the display cable connection to the main board to improve things for a while. Eventually that "fix" became less effective.

I totally get that the issue isn't as widespread as the keyboard issue on macbooks but it definitely exists and severely sours user experience just as the keyboard issue does.

mkasu

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2010
Japan
On my third replacement it was starting to occur again during iOS 12.x and also the iOS 13 Betas, but it has stopped happening after 13.1 or so. I’ve been using the iPad almost every day all day recently but the issue has not occurred for quite some time.

Reactions: Codeseven

harriska2

macrumors 68000
Mar 16, 2011
Oregon
I have 2 of the first gen ipp 12.9 that, for whatever reason, has perfect touch. One has a brightspot but is hard to see. I do have to close and reopen safari everyday as there appears to be a memory leak.

Codeseven

macrumors 6502a
Dec 31, 2008
Ok, good. Though I’m grateful it was a software and not hardware issue that’s been resolved, I’d sure like to hear the backstory on why it took so f’n long to fix. At least I’m confident again in upgrading to the next hardware version when it comes.

Non-Polar

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2017
Lol it's always the same pattern. New beta or official iOS releases - people freak out and think that the issue has been fixed. Then people realize it's a placebo effect and that it's never been fixed.

Nugget

Contributor
Nov 24, 2002
Tejas Hill Country
Lol it's always the same pattern. New beta or official iOS releases - people freak out and think that the issue has been fixed. Then people realize it's a placebo effect and that it's never been fixed.

Who is freaking out? I'm not sure why you're being so dismissive. This was a problem that impacted me every single time I used my device and I honestly forgot completely about it. I can't even remember the last time it happened. iOS13 is hardly "new" at this point, if that's when the fix came out. I just know the issue is completely gone for me now.

Reactions: Codeseven
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.