Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

muzzy996

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2018
If an iOS 13 update truly solved the issue for some people then the only explanation is that they had a different (software) issue with the same symptoms as those with a hardware issue. It is hard for those still frustrated by the issue which persists for them with every iOS update to not be dismissive when others proclaim unequivocally that an update fixes it.

Reactions: kazmac and DragonX

FaustsHausUK

Contributor
Mar 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Lol it's always the same pattern. New beta or official iOS releases - people freak out and think that the issue has been fixed. Then people realize it's a placebo effect and that it's never been fixed.

Given how infuriating the issue was when it happened, if it were still happening, I'd be talking about it. At least for me, this is very much fixed now.

Nugget

Contributor
Nov 24, 2002
Tejas Hill Country
If an iOS 13 update truly solved the issue for some people then the only explanation is that they had a different (software) issue with the same symptoms as those with a hardware issue. It is hard for those still frustrated by the issue which persists for them with every iOS update to not be dismissive when others proclaim unequivocally that an update fixes it.

I haven't seen anyone proclaim that the update "unequivocally" did anything. There's certainly a preponderance of users for whom iOS13 has resolved their issue and their experience is just as valid as yours. I'm sorry you seem to have a hardware issue which has been conflated with the software issue that others were facing and appears to have now been resolved.

Codeseven

macrumors 6502a
Dec 31, 2008
Who is freaking out? I'm not sure why you're being so dismissive. This was a problem that impacted me every single time I used my device and I honestly forgot completely about it. I can't even remember the last time it happened. iOS13 is hardly "new" at this point, if that's when the fix came out. I just know the issue is completely gone for me now.

Same for me, no freak out, just fixed.

muzzy996

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2018
I haven't seen anyone proclaim that the update "unequivocally" did anything. There's certainly a preponderance of users for whom iOS13 has resolved their issue and their experience is just as valid as yours. I'm sorry you seem to have a hardware issue which has been conflated with the software issue that others were facing and appears to have now been resolved.

That's exactly my point - while there is value in the experiences for both cases the number of those who have their particular issue resolved via software update will be seen as irrelevant to those for whom the issue persists despite updating software. That's all I'm saying. So after a while adding more posts affirming that software resolved the issue for people does less and less for those who continue to have the problem. I don't dispute at all that there is a software issue that causes screen response issues. I firmly believe that are both software and hardware issues that can cause the same symptoms, and for those who can't get it resolved by updating they either somehow get a repair/replacement from Apple or are SOL.

Appreciate the sentiment on my hardware issue - I resolved it via AppleCare+ so I'm all good with a replacement unit.

DragonX

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2013
Lol it's always the same pattern. New beta or official iOS releases - people freak out and think that the issue has been fixed. Then people realize it's a placebo effect and that it's never been fixed.

Yeah haha, I've seen it many times as well!

Some threads here date back to 2017 where the same people say it's fixed and after a while they say it's not.

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
I don’t know how to explain this, but mine hasn’t given me issues in an unusually long time as well, and I haven’t updated it in forever—still on iOS 12.2. I have no idea what is going on here. Very strange coincidence, I can only assume.
Going to wait awhile longer before I celebrate though.

cap7ainclu7ch

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2010

Nah 100% not placebo. I didn't notice anything with previous updates despite others claiming they did. My iPad has been working flawlessly for the first time in I don't know how long. Will it last? Not sure, but it's working now.

Daniel_81

macrumors newbie
Mar 24, 2019
Germany
Same for me. iPad 3rd Gen.

After few replacments with iPad 2nd Gen i bought the 3rd Gen last November and the issue appeared few Weeks/Months later.

And now issue disappeared - dont know when it happens the last time for me.

Acorn

macrumors 68030
Jan 2, 2009
macrumors
My 3rd generation 12.9 constantly had freeze problems about 3 months after I bought it and it was sobad it was almost unusable to type on. Ever since I upgraded to the new ipad os it has been working ok knock on wood. It was happening constantly before and now I cant remember the last time it happened. Im hoping it stays that way.

Reactions: Codeseven

Silvestru Hosszu

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2016
Europe
I have the 12.9 second gen IPP. have the issue on intermitent basis.
There are days when it makes me mad and there were weeks when the issue is nowhere to be found.
I`m really considering buying the 3rd gen IPP 11 but the touch issue worries the hell out of me.
I live in Central Europe so no Apple Care and the exchanges are complicated and time consuming.

Last edited:

pdoherty

macrumors 65816
Dec 30, 2014
I have 12.9 second IPP. have the issue on intermitent basis.
There are days when it makes me mad and there were weeks when the issue is nowhere to be found.
I`m really considering buying the 3rd gen IPP 11 but the touch issue worries the hell out of me.
I live in Central Europe so no Apple Care and the exchanges are complicated and time consuming.

Agreed. I'm waiting for the next gen and hoping they beef up the case strength and stay with the slab sides like the current iPads have which seems to indicate they've abandoned the stupid curved sides that serves no purpose.

AutomaticApple

Suspended
Nov 28, 2018
Massachusetts
I have the 12.9 second gen IPP. have the issue on intermitent basis.
Go for it! The 3rd generation seems to have less touch issues.

Tavicu

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2013
Romania
I have the same problem from two years (since iOS 11)! It didn't bothered me so much since i use the apple pencil almost every time but before the warrany run out i made an appointment at the store and they replaced the iPad!

The new one has the same problem! I can say even more than the first one! Guess i will change this one under warranty and sold it right away! Hoping the new version will fix this!

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....

THIS. So much this.

Wish it would be fixed already, so no one has to go through this any more. I wouldn't be surprised if it was both hardware and software creating the problem.

I am glad that some folks' Pads are working now. I miss drawing on one.

Reactions: muzzy996

benjo765

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2008
Los Angeles
Hello all, after the last two updates my ipad pro 12.9’ 2nd gen has issues with not responsive screen often. I need to exit the application or click the home button multiple times or lock the screen and all goes well after. Did a factory reset but nothing helped. Anyone else with the same issue? I hope it is software
I also get issues with this, as well as light bleed from the edges of the screen

Reactions: DragonX

1ove

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2015
Does anyone know how to totally fix this issue?
I often press home/power button then the problem has gone. After that, it comes back.
ipad newest version/12.9 gen 2.

Reactions: dk001

Silvestru Hosszu

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2016
Europe
Same here, I enrolled in the beta program.
After some update it works for weeks, other time for day but it happens sometimes that it immediately comes back.

AutomaticApple

Suspended
Nov 28, 2018
Massachusetts
Unfortunately they never mentioned it. So I'm passing on on that iPad. It's too expensive for a device that has a high chance of breaking on hardware level after 1-2 years of normal usage.
Of course they never mentioned it. Why would they? Wait for people to get them and see if the chassis has gotten stronger.

Codeseven

macrumors 6502a
Dec 31, 2008
Does anyone know how to totally fix this issue?
I often press home/power button then the problem has gone. After that, it comes back.
ipad newest version/12.9 gen 2.

I totally forget I ever had this problem until stumbling onto this thread. My 12.9 3rd gen (13.3.1) had all the classic freezes, drove me nuts. But, sometime months ago it suddenly stopped. It wasn’t anything I purposely did to try and fix it, I had already tried all of them. So it must have been one or more of the regular iOS Updates but it’s been long gone.

pdoherty

macrumors 65816
Dec 30, 2014
Of course they never mentioned it. Why would they? Wait for people to get them and see if the chassis has gotten stronger.

They definitely wouldn’t mention it; it could then be used against them (would be admitting there was a problem that needed fixing).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.