Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

garyboyo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 24, 2019
Hi, I unwittingly downloaded & seemingly installed something called 'World of Tanks' - which I'd never heard of. I don't want it but can't delete it. When I drag the icon from the app folder to the trash I get prompted to enter my password to 'enable changes' - which I don't do of course

I've followed a guide on Mac Rumors on how to delete the programme manually, but cant get this to work. I attempt to delete it from the list in Finder - I get the same prompt to enter my password to 'enable changes'. Since the thing installed today, I also have new pop-up's telling me of 'issues' on my mac that need cleaning.

I'd appreciate any help to get shot of it.
many thanks
Gary

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
When I drag the icon from the app folder to the trash I get prompted to enter my password to 'enable changes' - which I don't do of course
I think this is fine.

If I am understanding your situation correctly, I think this is the OS wanting permission to delete the app.

Since the thing installed today, I also have new pop-up's telling me of 'issues' on my mac that need cleaning.
That is strange. What is popping up, and from where? Safari?

garyboyo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 24, 2019
Hi & thanks,
I decided to 'take the risk' enter my password (thought it may have been a virus/'trick') and one of the two WoT folders has now been deleted. When I try to delete the 2nd one I get a 'cant be deleted' message. An ideas?
thanks

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
Is it in you trashcan but won't empty?

There are a couple things you can do, assuming that you quit all applications already, and it won't delete:

Restart your Mac, and try emptying your trash.

Select the file that won't delete and see if the item is locked. Unlock it, and try it again.

You can also delete using terminal, but see if the above methods work.

Also, I would get some type of Malware protection app, there are a few ones free in the Mac App Store. Macs don't really get viruses, but they can get Malware, especially if someone accidently installs it, or installs it thinking it was something else.

garyboyo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 24, 2019
Is it in you trashcan but won't empty?

There are a couple things you can do, assuming that you quit all applications already, and it won't delete:

Restart your Mac, and try emptying your trash.

Select the file that won't delete and see if the item is locked. Unlock it, and try it again.

You can also delete using terminal, but see if the above methods work.

Also, I would get some type of Malware protection app, there are a few ones free in the Mac App Store. Macs don't really get viruses, but they can get Malware, especially if someone accidently installs it, or installs it thinking it was something else.
Thank you for your help. A re-boot enabled me to delete the file. It wasnt in trash - it was still in Apps. I also visited the app store & installed 'Bitdefender'. I'm pretty sure the 'games' and adware that I inadvertently instaled came as part of a Adobe Flash update I was prompted to install.

Thanks again for your help.
Gary

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.