Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jim Lahey

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 8, 2014
Anyone else finding that Up Next in tvOS 13 is a bit of a disaster? Sometimes the entire list goes AWOL and won't reappear without one or more device restarts. Sometimes shows appear and then disappear. Sometimes a finished episode automatically adds the next to the list, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes it does but then it disappears again. Amazon Prime integration seems especially problematic, but I've also had it happen with iTunes content and Apple TV+

Anyone else? It's really rather irritating :mad:

Last edited:
Reactions: George Dawes

mallbritton

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2006
I haven't experienced those specific issues. And I was in the tvOS 13 beta! It might be worth it for you to do a complete restore and update on the device.

Jim Lahey

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 8, 2014
I was experiencing the same problems you describe, but they only affected one specific user, the other users had no issues. Deleting the problematic user, restarting Apple TV, and then adding the user back in remedied all the problems.

Interesting, thanks. There's only the one user on my ATV so that's not an option. I've since noticed that this is also happening on iPad, so it's probably some fundamental problem with Up Next across iCloud.

Jim Lahey

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 8, 2014
Have never used up next
Is that for tv episodes via aptv
I use a similar auto play next episode feature via sky q

Up Next is a list of content you're currently watching or have decided you want to watch. It's displayed in the TV app. You can add shows and movies to it manually, or in the case of episodic content, it automatically adds the next episode after you finish the current one. It's essentially a bunch off shortcuts to stuff you're currently enjoying. Amazon Prime can also integrated into it, but Netflix cannot.

Its content is mirrored across all Apple devices with the TV app, including Macs, not just ATV. When it works properly it's great, but not so much when it has a mind of its own and doesn't behave as expected.

Last edited:

Jim Lahey

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 8, 2014
So I installed tvOS 13.3 beta just to see if it made any difference. So far, touch wood, my Up Next appears to be behaving...

Reactions: mallbritton

Blue Hawk

macrumors 68000
Dec 18, 2017
Germany
In the latest beta you can let show the up next lane again but many shows or/and movies are still suddenly dissapearing. Sometimes the whole lane is empty. But this is not an tvOS issue. The same happens on the other devices too. Reported that a few iOS versions ago but Apple didn’t fix it. Feedback app says I’m the only one who reported that.

Reactions: Jim Lahey

Blue Hawk

macrumors 68000
Dec 18, 2017
Germany
I thought it has been fixed the last days. But nope. :/ This is really annoying. Apple has his ATV+ streaming service now and cannot even manage the up next line.?‍♂️

Jim Lahey

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 8, 2014
I thought it has been fixed the last days. But nope. :/ This is really annoying. Apple has his ATV+ streaming service now and cannot even manage the up next line.?‍♂️

I think I have seen improvements in the integrity of the list. That is to say that shows now seem to stay in place once added, but it's still a lottery as to whether or not the next episode in a series is added when the current episode is completed. Very often I have to manually navigate to the next episode and begin playing it in order for it to be added. Or go to the show and remove it from Up Next and then add it again. I've yet to find a sequence of events on finishing an episode that reliably adds the next episode to the list. It's quite irksome and not something I expect from Apple.

cdavis11

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2009
Anyone else finding that Up Next in tvOS 13 is a bit of a disaster? Sometimes the entire list goes AWOL and won't reappear without one or more device restarts. Sometimes shows appear and then disappear. Sometimes a finished episode automatically adds the next to the list, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes it does but then it disappears again. Amazon Prime integration seems especially problematic, but I've also had it happen with iTunes content and Apple TV+

Anyone else? It's really rather irritating :mad:

Yes, it's been a real s***-a-cane Mr. Lahey.

My entire movie library comes back and has to be manually marked as watched - i've had to do this twice now.

Some days it gets so bad I want to give up my job as assistant park supervisor.

Jim Lahey

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 8, 2014
It's been a lot more stable for me recently. Still one or two oddities, but they can be attributed to minor issues with Amazon Prime. All native Apple content (iTunes and Apple TV+) has been ok.

?

Reactions: Donfor39

Jim Lahey

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 8, 2014
This is getting really tiresome now. Switched on my ATV and 90% of Up Next has been deleted. Managed to eventually get some of the shows to reappear, only for it to delete them all again. My entire recent viewing history is bricked.

Complete joke feature.

George Dawes

Suspended
Jul 17, 2014
=VH=
Total mess

I stopped using it and have to go back to the tv show app , very annoying

why change it when it just worked ???

Blue Hawk

macrumors 68000
Dec 18, 2017
Germany
I’ve had error messages all the time when I wanted to watch See or Morning Show. Maybe tried it 20 times until it worked. And they want to be like Netflix, maybe better? ?

EDIT: God, this is so annoying. I’ve watched 2 episodes of a show on iTunes. Stopped the second episode after maybe 20 minutes. Now hours later wanted to watch the second episode on my second Apple TV and what happened? It shows me the previous episode to continue. ?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.