Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iRutherford

Suspended
Oct 30, 2018
Columbus, OH
Jared Francis Harris is a notable English actor from the Sherlock Holmes movie and the HBO miniseries Chernobyl (in which he was fantastic). Most of the others are unknown, which can often be a good thing; it’s nice to get new faces and talent in the mix.
I think this has the potential to be a HUGE world building show!

Krys Marshall (Danielle Poole) is literally a nobody but she did elevate For All Mankind, especially in the new episode, "Hi Bob". Great actress!

jw2002

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2008
So I’m ignorant because I don’t care for TV?

What is your point? First you claim to not have heard of any of the actors, and then state you don't care for tv. Why even comment on a story having to do with TV at all, given that it is of zero interest to you???

V_Man

Cancelled
Aug 1, 2013
What is your point? First you claim to not have heard of any of the actors, and then state you don't care for tv. Why even comment on a story having to do with TV at all, given that it is of zero interest to you???
Show me where said I never heard of the actors.
Because it’s a public forum and I’m allowed. Other members here have spent more time on my post than I have. Weird if you ask me.
[automerge]1575537053[/automerge]
Given that you purport to never have heard of, or never have watched, many of the critically and popularly acclaimed shows on my list, perhaps you shouldn’t be making snide remarks about “quality tv” being an oxymoron. If you choose not to, or otherwise fail to, educate yourself about a topic, why offer your opinions on it?
Ok. Because I can offer my opinion.

ginkobiloba

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2007
Paris
There’s an oxymoron.

As a film buff lover, i agree with you that for the bigger part of its existence ( with a few exceptions) the words Quality and TV didn’t go together. However the last 10/15 years have seen a shockingly radical increase in the quality of writing and directing in some TV series, to the point where it is up there with some of the best films from some of the best diectors. I was skeptical as well, and snubbed most of the series mentionned here, then out of of curiosity started watching the Sopranos many years ago, and OMG..., this definitely wasn’t TV as i used to know. From there i started watching other quality series, and yes, TV has seen a radical transformation for sure in the recent decade.
It has become without any doubt a vector for some real artistic creations.

So if you have ignored TV until now ( and i dont blame you ) , you’re in luck, because you have so much to discover now !

in addition to the series mentionned earlier by other posters, i would also suggest you check ‘
- The Crown
- The Man In The High Castle
- Mad Men
- Occupied ( norwegian tv series )
- The Americans
- Vinyl
- etc..

and don’t forget that even directors like Bergman, Lars Von Trier, and Fassbinder have made some excellent TV series in the past.

Last edited:
Reactions: V_Man

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
Show me where said I never heard of the actors.
Because it’s a public forum and I’m allowed. Other members here have spent more time on my post than I have. Weird if you ask me.
[automerge]1575537053[/automerge]

Ok. Because I can offer my opinion.
Yes, you CAN offer your opinion. But when your opinion is, by your own admission, untouched by any experience with the subject, why do so?

I mean, I’m sure I have opinions on the right way to perform open heart surgery, but since I’m not a doctor, have done no research on the subject, have never seen or performed one, I keep my opinions to myself.

If you haven’t watched or even heard of some of the most critically acclaimed TV shows of the last 10 years, you are the metaphorical equivalent of a message board doctor without a medical degree.

Reactions: CarlJ

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
If not, and those behind this TV production are responsible for these new, non-Asimov characters, then it's already doomed and they should stop right now. Hell, why not have a few car chases, giant space battles and zombies while you're at it, and a few super heroes too. Or you could just read the damn books. It's not like Asimov could actually write a story or anything.

The novel Foundation is 200-odd pages of talking heads and exposition by cardboard cutout characters, with most of the action being described 'after the fact'. That can work in a novel - especially back in the day when Asimov's ideas were fresh. like many of the classic SF authors, Asimov was an ideas man and not necessarily the world's greatest storyteller. Foundation, shot straight from the book as a TV/Film, would be about as exciting as the opening text crawl of The Phantom Menace (not to mention suspiciously similar - like many classic SF novels Foundation has been strip-mined for ideas by more recent works).

So it pretty much has to be adapted - large chunks of exposition actually have to be dramatised, characters have to be tweaked, split and merged so that expository monologues can be broken down into believable conversations, and the protagonists can participate in events that they wouldn't have been present at in the book... and even with long-form TV some things have to be simplified. Sounds like they're turning the post-fall Empire, into a theocracy - which is perfectly consistent with the themes of the book.

...and you don't have to be terribly "woke" to see that the almost totally male-dominated, cigarette-smoke shrouded world of 50s SF isn't even credible compared to real life today, let alone some idealistic view of what should be. Even Asimov's own later work was better in that respect.

Adaptation can be done well, or it can be done badly (c.f. the recently screened BBC adaptations of His Dark Materials and War of the Worlds - both take liberties with the source material to better present the story on screen, its just that HDM does it reasonably well, while WOTW made a complete and utter mess of it).

So, with Foundation the proof of the pudding will be in the eating. Maybe they'll mess it up, maybe they won't - but the surest way to mess it up would be to stick dogmatically to the book.

dan110

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2013
'Merica
If they can pull off the depth and grandeur of this story, then this could definitely be another Game of Thrones meets The Expanse kind of show.

Reactions: dragje

dragje

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2012
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
I’m currently almost done with book 4 of the Foundation series. I’m a huge Asimov fan, which, according to my nickname, shouldn’t be much of a surprise... I’ve red the books several times when I was a teenager and now, at middle age, I still enjoy the story very much.

I just wonder ‘how’ they will develop this into a tv-serie. The BBC has made a radioplay which isn’t bad. I look forward to see if they manage to make it all the way to the end; book 7.

For people who didn’t read the books, don’t expect an A Team episode, like the current Star Wars serie The Madalorian. Foundation is not about action, not at all really, but has rather to do with intrigues and various, a lot, storylines. To give an example, from book 1 to 7 you will see many time periods with many new main characters. You might say Foundation has the entire complexity of Game of Thrones in every single season. It’s Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy (1979) in Space with a tempo of I Claudius (1976).

So I don’t think they will actually follow the original books by the letter. It wouldn’t appeal enough to young people I’m afraid.

Reactions: BlueParadox

dragje

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2012
So it pretty much has to be adapted - large chunks of exposition actually have to be dramatised, characters have to be tweaked, split and merged so that expository monologues can be broken down into believable conversations, and the protagonists can participate in events that they wouldn't have been present at in the book... and even with long-form TV some things have to be simplified. Sounds like they're turning the post-fall Empire, into a theocracy - which is perfectly consistent with the themes of the book.

I’ve red the series serval times and I must state that you’re right in this. The story needs adaptation, but to be honest, so did J.R.R Tolkien. But I do hope they will keep the timespan of the book series intact. The series deals with many storylines and protagonist do have intriguing roles to play which, imho can only work if they don’t rush trough the whole storylines all together. That‘s why, to my surprise, I love the follow up of Blade Runner so much. The director took his time developing a intriguing storyline and made this more important than introducing action. I sure hope that they will do the same with Foundation, give it time so characters will get more depth.

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
That‘s why, to my surprise, I love the follow up of Blade Runner so much. The director took his time developing a intriguing storyline and made this more important than introducing action.

...and, of course, Blade Runner itself is probably the best example of an acclaimed adaptation that radically changes the original story.

I can see that Foundation would work better as a radio or stage play where everything had to be conveyed in dialogue. There's room for a few films that are more like "filmed plays" but, oddly, the ones that spring to mind (The Man From Earth, Gattaca, Ex Machina) were, as far as I know, original screenplays - not adaptations... go figure...

Reactions: dragje

dragje

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2012
...and, of course, Blade Runner itself is probably the best example of an acclaimed adaptation that radically changes the original story.

I can see that Foundation would work better as a radio or stage play where everything had to be conveyed in dialogue. There's room for a few films that are more like "filmed plays" but, oddly, the ones that spring to mind (The Man From Earth, Gattaca, Ex Machina) were, as far as I know, original screenplays - not adaptations... go figure...

I agree, I’ve seen all of the movies you mentioned. Great movies, great stories. I think I prefer a good storyline with solid acting rather than CGI and action, but I don’t want to come over as a pretentious snob, I can enjoy a good action movie as well, but great storylines simply do stick to my mind more often than ”simple” action movies with lots of CGI. Even more, last month I watched the BBC SciFi series Blake’s 7. The CGI is clearly outdated, and that’s an understatement. You can even see ‘monsters’ with large zippers on their back, moving like drunk teenagers walking on hot coals. But the characters, the storyline, it all just worked. For me that is, I’m perfectly aware that taste is subjective.

By the way, if you like good radio sci-fi radio plays, I can recommend X-Minos 1. It’s so old that it’s legally free to hear each episode online: https://archive.org/details/OTRR_X_Minus_One_Singles

P.s. I apologise in advance if I may sound like a drunk Swedish rabbit, I’m Dutch, I’m not that familiar with the English grammar.

mrongey

macrumors member
Aug 9, 2011
Once casting finishes for "Foundation" it will move on to filming, which suggests we can expect the show to premiere sometime in 2020. There's no word yet on a potential release date.
No. If they're still casting recurring roles there's a good chance the scripts are not even done. They'd be rushing to start shooting by spring, and unless they're going to trickle episodes out a few at a time, they'd be lucky to be ready to release before November. For a project this big, my bet is on Spring/Summer 2021.

Reactions: BlueParadox

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
Even more, last month I watched the BBC SciFi series Blake’s 7. The CGI is clearly outdated, and that’s an understatement. You can even see ‘monsters’ with large zippers on their back, moving like drunk teenagers walking on hot coals.

Ah. Blakes 7. Talented writers. Talented actors mostly from the Royal Shakespeare company. Special effects by... well, actually, talented people working with a budget that would have barely have kept Star Trek supplied with coffee and donuts. "CGI" is a bit optimistic - strictly models dangling on strings in those days. Wouldn't be surprised if even the "computer graphics" in the title sequence was hand-drawn (like all the "computer graphics" in The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.) If you liked that, check out Star Cops (rubbish name and they probably blew the entire budget on title song, but apart from that...)

Reactions: CarlJ and dragje

dragje

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2012
Ah. Blakes 7. Talented writers. Talented actors mostly from the Royal Shakespeare company. Special effects by... well, actually, talented people working with a budget that would have barely have kept Star Trek supplied with coffee and donuts. "CGI" is a bit optimistic - strictly models dangling on strings in those days. Wouldn't be surprised if even the "computer graphics" in the title sequence was hand-drawn (like all the "computer graphics" in The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.) If you liked that, check out Star Cops (rubbish name and they probably blew the entire budget on title song, but apart from that...)

:) Thanks for the tip, Star Cops, I really looking forward to see this serie. I also wonder if the serie is just as surprising as the prize on Amazon; 56 pounds.... :)

found one on ebay for 21 pounds....that’s better. If everything goes as planned then the estimated delivery will be Wed, 11 Dec 2019 - Fri, 20 Dec 2019

Can’t wait!

Last edited:

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
I really looking forward to see this serie.

Hope you like it - its obviously rather dated, but if you "get" Blake's 7 then its worth a try. I don't think there's really been anything much else like it on TV before or after - crime/political drama set against semi-plausible 21st century space travel and the early industrialisation of Earth orbit and the moon. Plus a "courageous" decision by the producers to try and do extended scenes in "zero gravity", years before Apollo 13 (the movie), and on a 1980s BBC shoestring budget.

E.Lizardo

macrumors 68000
May 28, 2008

asimovfoundation-250x375.jpg
Apple this week signed on several new cast members for "Foundation," an upcoming Apple TV+ series that's based on Isaac Asimov's "Foundation" novels.

Lee Pace and Jared Harris have already been cast in the key roles of Brother Day (the Emperor of the Galaxy) and Hari Seldon, respectively, but now Apple is filling out the rest of the roles.

According to Variety, Lou Llobell, Leah Harvey, Laura Birn, Terrance Mann, and Cassian Bilton have joined the "Foundation" series as series regulars.

Asimov's "Foundation" series follows a psychohistory expert and mathematician Hari Seldon who is able to predict the future. Seldon creates a group called the Foundation to preserve humanity's collective knowledge ahead of the impending fall of the Galactic Empire. There are multiple novels in the "Foundation" series that span many years and cover the rise and fall of multiple empires.

Llobell will play Gaal, a mathematical genius from a repressed planet, while Harvey will play Salvor, a protective warden of a remote outer planet. Birn will play the roll of Demerzel, an aid to Brother Day, Mann will play Brother Dusk, the eldest member of the ruling family, and Bilton will play Brother Dawn, the youngest member of the ruling family and Brother Day's successor.

Once casting finishes for "Foundation" it will move on to filming, which suggests we can expect the show to premiere sometime in 2020. There's no word yet on a potential release date.

Apple TV+ is available now for $4.99 per month with TV shows like "The Morning Show," "For All Mankind," "Dickinson," "Servant," and more.

Article Link: Upcoming Apple TV+ Show 'Foundation' Gains New Cast Members

I think maybe I should reread the books in preparation. Hopefully they will do a fairly faithful adaptation. Really looking forward to it.

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
Let’s just hope it’s much better than “I, Robot”

It's written iRobot. :)

Did you miss the bit in the books where Hari Seldon was a fan of 21st century tech and had a house filled with iPhones, Apple Watches and Macs? Or the description of the Foundation temple, where novices go to learn the mystic secrets of technology, as a glass-walled palace, filled with plain pine tables overlooked by a huge glowing icon representing the fruit of the tree of knowledge? :)

All joking apart, representing technology from a 1950 view of the future is always going to be challenging (and please, please don't tell Hari Seldon about chaos theory). It would be quite fun if, for once, they decided to make it deliberately 'retro'. Anyway, I bet Terminus has lousy broadband...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.