Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fyun89

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 3, 2014
Hi, I've finally switched my grandfathered unlimited Verizon plan to the new unlimited Verizon plan. Some of you may be asking WHY???? but after calculating my usage and cost, the new plan is better for me.

Anyways, now that I dont need to jailbreak no more, I want to unjailbreak it, but nowhere it says updating iOS to remove jailbreak is safe or not.

So is it? I want to retain all my current app data. So I do not wish to restore the phone.

FYI, I'm using the yalu ios 10.2 jailbreak at the moment (the one you need to recertify every week).

A help would be great! Thanks

pdxmatts

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2013
Portland, OR
Hi, I've finally switched my grandfathered unlimited Verizon plan to the new unlimited Verizon plan. Some of you may be asking WHY???? but after calculating my usage and cost, the new plan is better for me.

Anyways, now that I dont need to jailbreak no more, I want to unjailbreak it, but nowhere it says updating iOS to remove jailbreak is safe or not.

So is it? I want to retain all my current app data. So I do not wish to restore the phone.

FYI, I'm using the yalu ios 10.2 jailbreak at the moment (the one you need to recertify every week).

Not sure why you don't want your JB anymore, you don't need to recertify it every week unless you do a reboot, but all you have to do is update from iTunes to the newest iOS version to unjailbreak it

fyun89

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 3, 2014
Not sure why you don't want your JB anymore, you don't need to recertify it every week unless you do a reboot, but all you have to do is update from iTunes to the newest iOS version to unjailbreak it

As you might know, ios 10.2 has random reboot problem.. it will reboot for some reason randomly although i clean installed and i only have tetherme as jailbreak tweak.

All in all hotspot was the only thing i used for jailbreak. And i dont need it anymore...:(

Im curious if I just update the phone, there would be jailbreak residue that might mess up the phone in the long run

bbrks

macrumors 65816
Dec 17, 2013
There will be for sure. The only right way is DFU restore and setup as new.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011

There will be for sure. The only right way is DFU restore and setup as new.
bbrks suggests DFU mode and I agree.

However, here we diverge. My method of updating starts with creating a backup first, either iCloud or iTunes, then doing as bbrks suggests. DFU, restore as new.

Once that's done, restore from your backup.

Now, for me, this removes all traces of my jailbreak. But because some preferences and Cydia sources are stored in the backup every time I jailbreak again I don't have to go back and reset my JB tweak preferences or reimport my Cydia sources.

But if you are wanting to annihilate ANYTHING that pertains to your jailbreak then bbrks is absolutely correct.

pdxmatts

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2013
Portland, OR
From what I read, you did not want to restore, so that's why I said to update, but I agree that a complete restore is what you should do if you want a clean phone. Hopefully you did a back up of your phone before you did your JB and can restore the back up. Otherwise, you will need to set up as new.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.