Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

G1Ravage

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2018
Queens, New York, USA
Are these updates to Maps likely to feature anything useful to those of us outside the United States in the near future?

Sure. More and more international cities are already receiving more thorough transit information through Apple Maps. And we know Apple Maps vehicles have already traversed large sections of Europe, Asia, and Australia. So updated maps should be coming to those regions as soon as next year.

G1Ravage

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2018
Queens, New York, USA
Apple Maps...please stop. You’re really hurting me.

22F99455-0FC3-49BD-BDE3-7D92B5B56FD4.png

iOS Geek

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2017
I kind of felt that the next [whatever the next region is] limited release would have happened by now, given how much is left to roll out. The end of 2019 is coming up fast!

I'm sure they'll meet their deadline, but I just thought the next test would be out by now. I would say maybe in the next few days, but I'm starting to lean towards the next limited release being after Thanksgiving. I would be pleasantly surprised if they manage to finish early and have the whole US out before Christmas travel time though!

Reactions: mkennon

G1Ravage

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2018
Queens, New York, USA
Well, Google Maps won the u-turn wars. The Waze update, despite being visible on their map editor, still hasn’t gone live. And god knows when Apple Maps will do anything about it, as busy as they are.

Interestingly, it only appears on the web Google Maps right now. The iOS app doesn’t have it. And I don't know why the first picture ended up sideways....

2FFA7093-592E-4C3C-BF10-B125A9BFBE92.jpeg

BC0DCC48-1791-44E3-99B3-92D14647DC37.jpg

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
I think if it is reported and people are actually driving it, the new Maps will expedite it as an issue for the fix.

Like I said in an earlier post, there is a new road configuration here that was launched immediately with the new Maps and it had only changed in the past few months. I reported it under the old Maps but didn't expect it to be fixed quickly. Boy, was I surprised when it was fixed on day one of me getting the new Maps. I wish I had them during the trial period to see if it was fixed then as well. And like the example above, this is a fairly major change in a road.

G1Ravage

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2018
Queens, New York, USA
I'm deducting my points from Google Maps. Although the new u-turn lane is physically present on the map, Google Maps doesn't acknowledge its existence, and won't route me through it. On the desktop, I can't even drag a route onto it!

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
I'm deducting my points from Google Maps. Although the new u-turn lane is physically present on the map, Google Maps doesn't acknowledge its existence, and won't route me through it. On the desktop, I can't even drag a route onto it!

I tried it as well when you mentioned it and I couldn't get it to work either...but I thought I was just doing something wrong. Hah.

How did you report it to Apple Maps team?

Reactions: G1Ravage

G1Ravage

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2018
Queens, New York, USA
I tried it as well when you mentioned it and I couldn't get it to work either...but I thought I was just doing something wrong. Hah.

How did you report it to Apple Maps team?

Went into "Add a missing place". There's a "street or address" option, but I don't think it's working right, because it only seems to want to accept a new address or place. But I fudged it in.

For the address, I simply used the name of the Whitestone Expressway. Through the add a missing place feature, you're allowed to specify "entrances". I added an entrance at the start of the u-turn lane, and another "entrance" near its exit. I placed the POI pin at the center point of the new road, and then explained in detail my reasons for doing so in the comments, and what the "entrances" I placed actually represented.

Reactions: BBDDVV and MozMan68

G1Ravage

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2018
Queens, New York, USA
Waze now has the u-turn lane. I’ll test it out on a drive later.

87F4601E-DD6D-44AA-B152-B78004F177CF.png

EDIT - Google Maps is now making use of the u-turn lane. Seems to be working now (I messaged them yesterday about it).

Last edited:

G1Ravage

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2018
Queens, New York, USA
The u-turn works while navigating on both Google Maps and Waze.

Waze: “Merge left onto Whitestone Expressway (Service Road North).”

Google Maps: “Sharp left to stay on Whitestone Expressway.”

Waze wins for drawing the u-turn lane better, and having better instructions for it.

In better Apple Maps news, Apple is finally getting around to correcting some road shape and intersection issues I had reported nearly two months ago, when the new maps first came out for New York City. One such issue was the existing Linden Place u-turn lane, which was drawn with incorrect access and egress points.

They even updated a highway interchange in upstate New York, which had recently been transformed into a diverging diamond interchange.

This shows they’re probably slowly making their way through my backlog of issues I’ve been sending them.

B9214540-C7B2-45A1-8F52-4EF1F27CB54A.png

1AC3EDB8-D5CC-48F3-8A6B-A546FFF4E531.png

Reactions: Shifts and MozMan68

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
Love the lights and SS symbols and it being referenced in spoken directions. Just wish it was smart enough to only show SSs if they are along your route and not only for the cross street.

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
Love the lights a SS symbols and it being referenced in spoken directions. Just wish it was smart enough to only show SSs if they are along your route and not only for the cross street.

I thought it DID only show along your route? It has when I've used it. It shows the upcoming 3 stop signs/traffic lights on your route. I've had limited experience with this feature...maybe I missed something??

Reactions: compwiz1202

G1Ravage

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2018
Queens, New York, USA
I thought it DID only show along your route? It has when I've used it. It shows the upcoming 3 stop signs/traffic lights on your route. I've had limited experience with this feature...maybe I missed something??

Once in a blue moon I've seen stop signs show on cross streets. Generally because of the angle of the intersection, it’s possible the stop sign was visible enough from the main road that Apple’s algorithms picked it up and placed it in by accident.

Speaking of the traffic lights and such, I’ve learned something interesting. You know how they only show three at a time? As you’re driving up the road, the traffic light will eventually move off the bottom of the map, at which time a new one will load ahead.

But if you make a turn, now the road you were previously on is horizontal across the bottom of the map, and the previous three lights are still there. Because of this, any new traffic lights on the new road you’re on won’t appear until the previous road moves off the bottom of the visible map.

This is probably only an issue in Manhattan, where you have soooo many traffic lights.

A7C0BAA4-94A7-48D3-922F-38D997FA5F7B.png

iOS Geek

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2017
I've been pretty darn impressed lately by the timeliness/urgency of Apple to fix issues on the maps. Response time has shortened quite a bit! Most reports I've made over the last few weeks were responded to and corrected within the same week. Most recently though...a report I just sent last night. I got a response about it an hour ago and the change is already reflected! Some reports for POI's that only had a spelling error were corrected pretty quick as well (I didn't get responses for those, but I did notice that the information was corrected within a day or two)!

mkennon

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2019
I kind of felt that the next [whatever the next region is] limited release would have happened by now, given how much is left to roll out. The end of 2019 is coming up fast!

I'm sure they'll meet their deadline, but I just thought the next test would be out by now. I would say maybe in the next few days, but I'm starting to lean towards the next limited release being after Thanksgiving. I would be pleasantly surprised if they manage to finish early and have the whole US out before Christmas travel time though!

I am really starting to doubt the Dec 31 deadline Since it is December and we have not see anything since Midwest. There is so much left to do. If if they do make it, will these regions have the quality as the previous ones due to rushing? It was a bummer using the old maps for Thanksgiving travels.

Reactions: iOS Geek

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
I am really starting to doubt the Dec 31 deadline Since it is December and we have not see anything since Midwest. There is so much left to do. If if they do make it, will these regions have the quality as the previous ones due to rushing? It was a bummer using the old maps for Thanksgiving travels.

I’m hoping to see a pre-release of the remaining areas as early as tomorrow. If so, they may not make Dec-31, but they could.

At worst, that would put them on a normal schedule of Jan-15....a little late, but not crazy.

Reactions: iOS Geek

mkennon

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2019
Sure. More and more international cities are already receiving more thorough transit information through Apple Maps. And we know Apple Maps vehicles have already traversed large sections of Europe, Asia, and Australia. So updated maps should be coming to those regions as soon as next year.
I hope you have some inside info since you are getting my hopes up for as early as tomorrow, lol.

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
I hope you have some inside info since you are getting my hopes up for as early as tomorrow, lol.

Based on the Apple vehicle info that is public and implementation schedule in the USA, the UK should be released by mid-2020.

I imagine Apple will do their own announcement for upcoming countries once the USA has been fully launched, but if not, they will in June at the next developers conference.

iOS Geek

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2017
I’m hoping to see a pre-release of the remaining areas as early as tomorrow. If so, they may not make Dec-31, but they could.

At worst, that would put them on a normal schedule of Jan-15....a little late, but not crazy.
My guess would be tomorrow as well. Maybe Tuesday. I have noticed lately that Alaska is starting to look more green. (Most likely related to a TomTom update, but still). And I also noticed more green in northern Wisconsin and Minnesota. It seems like most of the remaining states have also had some additions like that, but maybe it's all been there for a while and I just didn't notice until recently.
[automerge]1575218325[/automerge]
I thought they still had a chance at making it by December 31st. At least until we went a week with nothing. If I remember correctly, it seems like the next region's testing began within a few days of the previous region getting it's wide release. I kind of thought the next test would have started somewhere around November 20th...ish...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.