Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Speedman100

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2013
How long do fixes take to show up on the map? I submitted a fix to move the location of a POI. I got the notification that they fixed it, but the location is still showing up in the wrong spot.

iOS Geek

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2017
How long do fixes take to show up on the map? I submitted a fix to move the location of a POI. I got the notification that they fixed it, but the location is still showing up in the wrong spot.
I don't think there's any set time, based on what I've seen. I've seen changes reflected as soon as I get notified about it. Some that take a few hours and some that I didn't notice until the next day...

EDIT TO ADD: I do remember reading once (either here or on Reddit) that Maps are updated at something like 2am, but given that I see changes happen at other times, I'm not sure that's entirely accurate. Maybe that's how it used to be.

Last edited:

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
My guess would be tomorrow as well. Maybe Tuesday. I have noticed lately that Alaska is starting to look more green. (Most likely related to a TomTom update, but still). And I also noticed more green in northern Wisconsin and Minnesota. It seems like most of the remaining states have also had some additions like that, but maybe it's all been there for a while and I just didn't notice until recently.
[automerge]1575218325[/automerge]

I thought they still had a chance at making it by December 31st. At least until we went a week with nothing. If I remember correctly, it seems like the next region's testing began within a few days of the previous region getting it's wide release. I kind of thought the next test would have started somewhere around November 20th...ish...

All of Apple’s engineers were on vacation last week. Watch for it this week, I think. Getting more green is a precursor, by the way.

Reactions: iOS Geek

iOS Geek

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2017
All of Apple’s engineers were on vacation last week. Watch for it this week, I think. Getting more green is a precursor, by the way.
That's what I thought. I do remember more green popping up here in Illinois within a few days before we got our testing started

iOS Geek

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2017
Hoping for a new test release today. However, if you look at Justin O’Bierne’s site and take into account the “average” number of days that a region is in testing...we are now at a point in the year where the “average” time will fail to meet a December 31st. So unless they blow through testing of the Southeast, what’s left of the Central US/Midwest, and Alaska...they aren’t going to meet the end of the year timeline. He mentioned the Midwest/West taking 49 days from first day of testing to wide release. With 29 days left in 2019, a test for everything remaining would have to come out today and cut the testing period basically in half. To be honest...I don’t see that happening.

My hope of having the new maps in Alaska by the end of this month for my trip is fading fast ? Not having at least that one by then will be a bummer, as after this trip, I won’t be in Alaska again until the end of next year...

Last edited:
Reactions: mkennon

iOS Geek

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2017
Not seeing or hearing about anything new so far today. Whatcha doin’, Apple? ???

Part of me is starting to agree with what MozMan said about mid-January. The other part is having this really unlikely hope that they surprise us and get it all done by the 31st, despite how close we are now ?

iOS Geek

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2017
Alright, so I had a thought on a way I could see them finishing by the 31st, despite the fact that nothing new in terms of testing has come out yet. Looking back to when they released the new maps for Hawaii...I don't recall there being a test. It just came out. One possibility I see (probably unlikely), would be that they do a test release for ONLY the Southeast...with Alaska and what's left of the Central/Midwest just come out without a test. The Southeast is the most "complex" region left, so a test for that region makes sense. Given that they were able to put Hawaii out without a test, I could at the absolute minimum see Alaska coming the same way and MAYBE the Central. I can't imagine there being too much complexity in the maps for Alaska, given that most of it is wilderness. And the Central shouldn't be too complex since the midsection of the country is largely laid out on a grid....so in terms of road networks, the southeast is the more complicated of the three remaining, and would warrant more testing than the others.

Time will tell, but the clock's ticking!

Last edited:

G1Ravage

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2018
Queens, New York, USA
I mean, they're going to have all these new data points associated with the stop signs and traffic lights they've added. Why not use them?

So this is not something Apple is *currently* doing...but a new technology they're currently working on and testing and trying to get a patent for? Maybe using user data they're gathering now to gather the data they need to implement this?

I *believe* Waze already has something similar to this. But maybe it's done a completely different way....

improvemaps

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2019
I mean, they're going to have all these new data points associated with the stop signs and traffic lights they've added. Why not use them?
Speaking about that, I think Apple will start to show crosswalks for walking directions in the future based on this privacy document (see page 2) on the Apple Maps Image Collection site for Canada. That would be great for pedestrian safety, unless people look at the map on their phone constantly.

Reactions: MozMan68

iOS Geek

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2017
For what it's worth...the Maps page on Apple's website still says by the end of 2019. I have noticed in the past that they are USUALLY pretty good about changing things like that if something is delayed or expected to be...so maybe testing for the remaining areas is being conducted differently (maybe even amongst just themselves...?) this time before official release (or if even at all, before release) and we still get it all by the end of the month as originally planned. Not getting my hopes up, but I will still keep at least some optimism in that corner.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
Ran into one that threw some guests of mine for a loop.
Some of my Thxgiving visitors went up to Santa Barbara. Their rental had AM available and they used it.
While there (in Santa Barbara) they wanted to drive up to Solvang. Punched it into their car and away they went. Unfortunately, the route (Rt 154) was closed but AM didn't know that. One of them had GM on their phone and they used that for an alternative route.

This was a couple of days ago. Portions of 154 are still closed and AM as of a few minutes ago, is still showing it as open. Is there an easy way to report this and get AM to quickly update? (the SS are from my IPP 11)
AM - SB.jpg GM - SB.jpg

G1Ravage

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2018
Queens, New York, USA
I honestly don't know where Apple Maps gets its road closure, construction, crash info from, or why it's so sporadic and rarely seen, while Google Maps has it much more quickly. And I'm not talking about recently...it was always more accurate on Google Maps, even before they introduced the ability for their users to "report" road issues.

Reactions: dk001

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
I assume they are using government provided data. In Mi, we have a website that shows ALL road closures that are current or scheduled. maps here has been perfect with that in my area as I’ve stated earlier. It actually surprised me how accurate it was.

I guess that’s not the case everywhere.

CA does have a site that shows current lane and road closures. And it doesn’t currently show any lane closures or full road closures for 154. Maybe that’s the issue??

bd920884cb5cd4c381141662bce24544.png

And just checked Apple, Waze and HERE....none are showing the road closure. Only Google?

Last edited:

improvemaps

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2019
Apple has updated the Apple Maps Image Collection site with a new description of how Pedestrian Image Collection is performed:
Apple is also conducting surveys with portable systems in select pedestrian areas (for example, certain streets in London that cannot be driven). Some pedestrian surveys use a backpack system to collect data that may be used directly in Apple Maps, such as in the Look Around feature. Other pedestrian surveys use iPads, iPhones or other devices to collect data for map improvement purposes. These pedestrian surveys allow us to improve and update Apple Maps in areas where vehicles simply can’t go while using the same privacy protections as the Apple Maps vehicles.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
I assume they are using government provided data. In Mi, we have a website that shows ALL road closures that are current or scheduled. maps here has been perfect with that in my area as I’ve stated earlier. It actually surprised me how accurate it was.

I guess that’s not the case everywhere.

CA does have a site that shows current lane and road closures. And it doesn’t currently show any lane closures or full road closures for 154. Maybe that’s the issue??

bd920884cb5cd4c381141662bce24544.png

And just checked Apple, Waze and HERE....none are showing the road closure. Only Google?

Could be. Then you have to wonder how GM got it right? Did a quick Google and it looks like GM uses the state maps, user feedback, mobile GPS, law enforcementm and other data. Even maps future closures. Makes you wonder what AM is using ... just state?

Thx!!

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
Could be. Then you have to wonder how GM got it right? Did a quick Google and it looks like GM uses the state maps, user feedback, mobile GPS, law enforcementm and other data. Even maps future closures. Makes you wonder what AM is using ... just state?

Thx!!

I thought the fact that no one could actually drive through there meant it would trigger an alert for them.

iOS Geek

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2017
SOMETHING is going on with Maps! I saw a post on Reddit where someone noticed some labels were being duplicated and showing twice on the map, so I decided to take a look. I’m not seeing duplicate labels, but I did notice that the “Michigan” label...moved to be right in the middle of the northern part of LAKE Michigan. Changes must be coming soon! Either that or just a glitch popping up. Seems like an odd move ? The actual “Lake Michigan” label has moved to an obscure location on the Michigan coast...between Ludington and Pentwater.

Strange

Last edited:

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
I thought it DID only show along your route? It has when I've used it. It shows the upcoming 3 stop signs/traffic lights on your route. I've had limited experience with this feature...maybe I missed something??
Nope saw one on AM when we were on a trip where we don't drive normally, and was confused because I didn't see it.
[automerge]1575660757[/automerge]
Love the lights and SSs and parking lot in the directions. Still needs to get better about getting you out of a parking lot sometimes. Other things that could be tweaked better:

A. It will say to stay left or right on the same road, but the road barely curves there.
B. The road name will change without being a hard turn, but it won't alert you to it. Especially annoying if there is also another soft turn onto another different road.

Sometimes I think they app devs forget you are most likely using the app because you are unfamiliar about the area. I'd rather get too much info than not enough.

Last edited:

G1Ravage

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2018
Queens, New York, USA
Nope saw one on AM when we were on a trip where we don't drive normally, and was confused because I didn't see it.
[automerge]1575660757[/automerge]
Love the lights and SSs and parking lot in the directions. Still needs to get better about getting you out of a parking lot sometimes. Other things that could be tweaked better:

A. It will say to stay left or right on the same road, but the road barely curves there.
B. The road name will change without being a hard turn, but it won't alert you to it. Especially annoying if there is also another soft turn onto another different road.

Sometimes I think they app devs forget you are most likely using the app because you are unfamiliar about the area. I'd rather get too much info than not enough.

"A" seems to be driven automatically by the system, as far as the shape of the intersection, and whether or not to give you guidance through it.

As for "B", when there's an actual turn, it'll tell you you're turning onto a different road. But if the road name simply changes, it's a mixed bag. 100% of the time, however, you'll see a blue bubble on the map alerting you that the name is changing. On some highways, it'll give you a voice alert.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.