Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
"A" seems to be driven automatically by the system, as far as the shape of the intersection, and whether or not to give you guidance through it.

As for "B", when there's an actual turn, it'll tell you you're turning onto a different road. But if the road name simply changes, it's a mixed bag. 100% of the time, however, you'll see a blue bubble on the map alerting you that the name is changing. On some highways, it'll give you a voice alert.
Interesting. I will have to purposely go that way home tonight and watch the map. Wish it would speak it too.

iOS Geek

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2017
Take a look at this Reddit thread. Apparently the tests ARE out there (at least for Alaska and Puerto Rico). One of the commenters posted Imgur links to screen shots. I looked at those screen shots and went to my Maps to compare what I’m seeing verses what those screen shots show. My maps don’t show the same level of detail (on any of my devices)...particularly the one from PR...

https://www.reddit.com/r/applemaps/comments/e70o4p

Last edited:

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
From Reddit...Traffic lights/stop signs showing in DC and No. VA.

950c13a9c986d98bccfba9bb10e686a7.jpg

Reactions: Speedman100

BD1

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2007
I am in the Chicago suburbs....the new map looks nicer but has navigation improved yet? We don't have traffic lights/stop signs yet. When we get those does navigation improve or are there already improvements under the covers?

AaronG123

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2012
UK
Anyone from the U.K. noticed that Apple have just updated their database massively for addresses in the U.K.

Previously the majority of rural addresses with house names, we’re not available in Apple Maps - only street address and postcode. Now house names are available, based on boundaries, something which Google Maps doesn’t have in many locations!

iOS Geek

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2017
Well, guys...we have now reached the point where I don't think there is a way to have it all done by the 31st. We're even getting to the point where mid-January is becoming a question mark. Aside from patches of green being added in some states here and there...there's nothing big.

Darn it! Guess my Alaska trip will be done without new maps!

Reactions: mkennon

G1Ravage

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2018
Queens, New York, USA
I updated to iOS 13.3.

As with most updates, I opened Apple Maps the first two or three times, and was happy to see that the app was remembering that I was viewing the maps in 3D view when it was last closed.

But as always, after three or so app openings, it started defaulting back to 2D again.

That old iPhone 6 I found, I updated it to iOS 12.4.3, and Maps always opens in 3D.

So it seems the Maps app in iOS 13 is just buggy. I'll check out CarPlay when I head to work later.

ttam110

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2010
Highly doubt this will be rolled-out before year end. I suspect resources were shifted to help clean up iOS 13 after its buggy launch.

Awaiting North Carolina's refresh - also curious if Apple plans to use any data from its drone pilot program here that it was awarded last year by the FAA. Not sure if that will impact NC's go live timeline?

iOS Geek

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2017
Was anyone else thinking there was a chance that new Maps areas would show up with the latest release?

Maybe tonight/tomorrow.

I know they’re not related, but I dare to dream...
Haha part of me was wishing the same thing. I leave for Alaska in two weeks and I just don’t see the maps being out by then unless by some miracle. Bums me out a bit, but I wonder if this has anything to do with the fact that in so many other areas...when the new maps came out, there were so many POI’s out of place. Maybe they’re cleaning that up themselves for the next areas instead of relying on us reporting them. If that’s the case...I think it might actually be worth missing the deadline.

But as has been mentioned before...their site still says by the end of the year. (And as I mentioned a while back, they are usually good about changing things like that if a delay is expected. Justin O’Bierne also mentioned that point as well).

mkennon

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2019
Highly doubt this will be rolled-out before year end. I suspect resources were shifted to help clean up iOS 13 after its buggy launch.

Awaiting North Carolina's refresh - also curious if Apple plans to use any data from its drone pilot program here that it was awarded last year by the FAA. Not sure if that will impact NC's go live timeline?

Awaiting NC as well. I had the same thought about shifted resources when updates for iOS, Apple Watch, and HomePod all got released this afternoon.

Reactions: ttam110

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
Awaiting NC as well. I had the same thought about shifted resources when updates for iOS, Apple Watch, and HomePod all got released this afternoon.

I honestly don’t think Apple Map resources have anything to do with other Apple products. They have a completely different data team made up mostly of contract employees. They would be worthless working on other areas.

I agree though that they may be pulling those resources back to already released areas to clean up stuff.

Reactions: iOS Geek

iOS Geek

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2017
Still nothing. But still holding out hope that they release something without a test. Maybe they learned some things after past test releases and are now handling things themselves instead of relying on public testing. Like maybe they did public testing just as a learning experience and then applying whatever they learned from it and doing it themselves.

(Worth mentioning that I'm not exactly sure what they would be "learning" from public testing other than the public having a chance to report inaccuracies before wide release, but still an idea).

Reactions: MozMan68

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
Still nothing. But still holding out hope that they release something without a test. Maybe they learned some things after past test releases and are now handling things themselves instead of relying on public testing. Like maybe they did public testing just as a learning experience and then applying whatever they learned from it and doing it themselves.

(Worth mentioning that I'm not exactly sure what they would be "learning" from public testing other than the public having a chance to report inaccuracies before wide release, but still an idea).

I like that...let's go with this!

Reactions: iOS Geek

iOS Geek

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2017
I like that...let's go with this!
I’m also looking at time frame. I wonder if by doing everything in-house instead of doing a public testing period...could they get updates out faster? Think about it...with or without the public testing period, Apple is still undoubtedly testing amongst themselves. Who’s to say that by not doing a public test period, they shave off say (for example) a week and then it comes out a week earlier than it would have if they did a public test. (Probably rambling, but I’m just thinking out loud ?)

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
Now I am getting a wacky error - road names upside down. Not all, just one here and there...
727B60D2-4C22-49C1-93D9-16563E664663.png
Check out the middle of the map - Ventura Blvd. Part of the map is totally missing too.
See GM version below. Looks like blank spots are back in AM :(
7EE57F3C-6C25-43F4-AB1B-FAB42D1F9DE1.png

G1Ravage

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2018
Queens, New York, USA
Now I am getting a wacky error - road names upside down. Not all, just one here and there...
View attachment 882227
Check out the middle of the map - Ventura Blvd. Part of the map is totally missing too.
See GM version below. Looks like blank spots are back in AM :(
View attachment 882228

I don't see anything missing. Although it appears Apple Maps has misidentified the Park and Ride access road as a small piece of Venture Boulevard coming off the freeway.

iOS Geek

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2017
Something is definitely going on! I'm noticing more detail showing on farther-out zoom levels. Primarily rivers and such. Just yesterday, there were parts of rivers that weren't visible at a certain zoom level, but are now visible at that same zoom level today. Also seeing more green patches popping up. It's not the HUGE changes we're looking for, but they definitely seem to be working. The not-yet-updated areas definitely have become more noticeably green (though patchy) it seems. I've also seen a LOT more water detail popping up in Canada over the last few weeks (which would lead me to believe that parts of Canada may be among the first areas outside the US to get new maps.

Reactions: dk001

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
I don't see anything missing. Although it appears Apple Maps has misidentified the Park and Ride access road as a small piece of Venture Boulevard coming off the freeway.

Ventura doesn't just end. It actually keeps going (main road) and there are supposed to be a number of buildings there. That's aside from the Ventura name being upside down. Oh, and the real name of that road, is Park N Ride Blvd.

I reported the issue.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Ventura doesn't just end. It actually keeps going (main road) and there are supposed to be a number of buildings there. That's aside from the Ventura name being upside down. Oh, and the real name of that road, is Park N Ride Blvd.

I reported the issue.

Took a look at the same map today. The incorrect name / incorrect orientation has been removed.
No name has been applied so I am hopeful they are fixing the error. Would be nice to see a quick fix.
AM_12132019_RoadIssue.jpg

improvemaps

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2019
Took a look at the same map today. The incorrect name / incorrect orientation has been removed.
No name has been applied so I am hopeful they are fixing the error. Would be nice to see a quick fix.
View attachment 882576
What's that Browse Premium Outlets button in the upper right-hand corner next to the i icon. I've never seen that before. Is it something new? It didn't appear in the previous screenshot.

iOS Geek

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2017
Still nothing. I‘d like to remain optimistic, but I’m getting pretty skeptical!

Dear Apple Maps team...??? I’m leaving for Alaska in 2 weeks. Just sayin’! ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.