Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aeneid

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 20, 2011
California
I have a 3rd generation ipod touch at 4.2.1. I'm going to jailbreak then enable native multitasking, but question is should i stay at 4.2.1 or upgrade to 4.3.3 then jb?

Cheers

Unknownn

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2010
My Basement, United States
I have a 3rd generation ipod touch at 4.2.1. I'm going to jailbreak then enable native multitasking, but question is should i stay at 4.2.1 or upgrade to 4.3.3 then jb?

Cheers

I also have a 3rd gen iPod touch and I've upgraded from 4.2.1 to 4.3.1 and then to 4.3.3 and there's nothing bad about it at all, you get basically the same jailbreak but with the features that come with the software updates, jb app support seems to be even better on 4.3.3 than 4.2.1

aeneid

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 20, 2011
California
Well I lied on the generation I had. I actually have a second generation ipod touch 8 gig. Unfortunately I had completely forgotten that the 8 gigs prior to the 4 gen were still being considered second gen, and that only the 32 and 64 gig versions were 3rd generation. My apologies. But I believe that the 2nd generation 8 gig can not upgrade past 4.2.1 regardless. That is unless I have to update my itunes there is still one update for me to install but I've been lazy. :p ahaha. Fortunately I already knew of greenpoison and used it with great success. Thanks though. Jb on 4.2.1 decided that it just wasnt worth dealing with shsh blobs if I didn't like 4.3.3 so I just kept it here. Enabled native multitasking but it experiences crashes when switching apps. Idk why, maybe because its a 2nd gen? Only good use for it is that I don't have to wait for apps to load since they are already load. and I installed mobile notifier. Works pretty well, but overall bummed with the whole JB process. I feel like I'm either missing out on some really good tweaks or I just don't have a use for it.

Tech Elementz

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2011
It is true that an iPod Touch 2G cannot be updated pass iOS 4.2.1. However, you must have an MC model of the iPod Touch 2G. In that case, use Jailbreakme 3.0. As for performance, I do not suggest using too many tweaks. I speak from experience... Luckily, I have the MB model of the iPod Touch 2G, so I more breathing space for jailbreaking, unjailbreaking, or restoring to custom firmware.

If you do not mind, can you go to the settings app > General > About and checking the model number, whether it is MB or MC.

aeneid

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 20, 2011
California
If you do not mind, can you go to the settings app > General > About and checking the model number, whether it is MB or MC.

unfortunately I have the MC model. All I have right now is mobile notifier and activator. Plus native multitasking enabled, although it doesnt work for more than keeping apps running (cant switch, it crashes springboard, have to go to home screen then switch).

Cheers

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.