Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
Looking for a monitor for a MBP 13” 2019. Would like the USB-C connection for simple connection and also that has facility to charge it and have hub for a HDD food using Photos app. Also integrated speakers.

It’s for basic use, nothing professional, it’s just to use the MBP at a desk when required l, although think 4K one would be nice as MBP can output to that for looking at iPhone 11 pics etc. Around 27” would be enough I think?

I know Apple recommend the LG ones but they are expensive. Wonder if any do all of this, particularly today for Black Friday deal for a early Xmas pressy. I’m in UK.

Thanks

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
Using 4K over USB-c I believe any USB ports on the display itself will be limited to usb2.0 speeds.

Ah ok, not sure if this matter so much as will only use the USB for Photos app. Or not sure if can but could use the other USB-C port on the MBP rather than the monitor hub?

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
Still can’t find one, so many and difficult to ensure it has USB-C and can charge my MBP.

Anyone help cyber Monday finishes soon!!

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
My advice:
Forget about USBc charging from the display.
Just buy a display "for the display" (charging unimportant).

You will have many more choices to pick from this way.
A page of possibilities that I keep around:
IPS Monitor List: Best AHVA, PLS & IPS LCD Displays

True but it’s just for the convenience factor as well. Rather than having to move about the MBP power adapter and cable, I could also use the monitor to charge.

rex450se

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2011
Independence, MO
Consider looking at getting a Thunderbolt dock and monitor. That way you have ease of 1 cable connection, will charge the MacBook and offer all the additional connections you'd need. It will greatly open up the options to you. I currently use a Dell Thunderbolt dock at work and an IOGear dock at home. Your options with what you are asking are limited and expensive.

These are the 2 I use.

IOGear USB-C Docking Station

Dell WD19TB

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
Still after a USB-C monitor, with speakers, that charges MBP.

I know docks maybe will expand options, but it’s not what I want.

Also I want to charge for the convenience as well so don’t have to have other chargers and cables around.

Searched but all have maybe 2 of the 3, apart from the LG ultrafine, any in Xmas sales?

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
I have an LG 27" 4K (don't have model number in front of me, but has an 850 in it). Very good image quality and brightness. Has serviceable but not great internal speakers. Slight image retention visible with bright windows on a dark background.
Provides 60W charging via USB-C. Probably enough to keep a 15" MBP charged when not under full load, but might not be enough to keep up when all cores + GPU are being pushed hard.

Edit: re-read and saw OP has a 13" MBP. 60W should be sufficient then.

Last edited:
Reactions: einmusiker

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
I have an LG 27" 4K (don't have model number in front of me, but has an 850 in it). Very good image quality and brightness. Has serviceable but not great internal speakers. Slight image retention visible with bright windows on a dark background.
Provides 60W charging via USB-C. Probably enough to keep a 15" MBP charged when not under full load, but might not be enough to keep up when all cores + GPU are being pushed hard.

Edit: re-read and saw OP has a 13" MBP. 60W should be sufficient then.

When you can if you can link or send the model number please. It’s not the Apple recommended Ultrafine one is it? Sold in Apple shops etc?

The speakers will be fine for what I want tbh, understand that integrated speakers are never brilliant but just want them internal at least.

Thanks

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
When you can if you can link or send the model number please. It’s not the Apple recommended Ultrafine one is it? Sold in Apple shops etc?

The speakers will be fine for what I want tbh, understand that integrated speakers are never brilliant but just want them internal at least.

Thanks
LG 27UK850-W

No, not the Ultrafine. Has USB-C, DP and HDMI inputs.

Reactions: MrMister111
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.