Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

addiefreyja

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 4, 2019
Minnesota, USA
Hi everyone: I'm not super strong when it comes to stuff like this, so I'm going to ask here.

Tonight, I was trying to compress a bunch of files on a USB drive to a ZIP file. It was going fine, but it was a lot of stuff, so the compression went on awhile. In the meantime, my screen went to sleep and I couldn't get it to wake up. Eventually, it did, but then the USB drive was disconnected in the process (not physically; I didn't bump the drive or anything), and I got the message about it not being ejected properly.

Now, when I plug it in again, it won't mount. It shows up grey in Disk Utility. I can't seem to mount it in Terminal, either. I tried running Disk Utility in Recovery mode, and no luck there, either.

I've attached a screenshot of what I get in Terminal when I list the drives with the USB stick plugged in.

I'd really like to try and salvage the data from the USB drive, if possible. I don't care about the drive itself; I was in the process of moving files off of it as it was.

Thanks for any guidance.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-08-04 at 21.43.21.jpg
    Screen Shot 2019-08-04 at 21.43.21.jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 69
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.