Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pcd213

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 24, 2019
I'm looking to purchase a hopefully relatively inexpensive projector to play movies in my bedroom, but I'd like to use the HomePod for the audio source. I know that all projectors are different, but assuming that the projector requires a wired connection to accept the video, does anyone know how I may play the audio through the HomePod versus any speaker within the projector?

vinegarshots

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2018
I'm looking to purchase a hopefully relatively inexpensive projector to play movies in my bedroom, but I'd like to use the HomePod for the audio source. I know that all projectors are different, but assuming that the projector requires a wired connection to accept the video, does anyone know how I may play the audio through the HomePod versus any speaker within the projector?

You'd need to hook an Apple TV up as the video source for the projector, and then Airplay the audio from Apple TV to the Homepod.

Homepod doesn't have any wired inputs, and it won't work as a normal Bluetooth speaker without some hacking with a Raspberry Pi.

Reactions: jbachandouris

pcd213

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 24, 2019
You'd need to hook an Apple TV up as the video source for the projector, and then Airplay the audio from Apple TV to the Homepod.

Homepod doesn't have any wired inputs, and it won't work as a normal Bluetooth speaker without some hacking with a Raspberry Pi.

Thanks for the quick reply! I should have mentioned that I'm looking to drive the video from my MBP. Is it not possible to airplay the audio alone from my MBP to the HomePod like I do today but have the wired connection to the projector (I assume USB-C to HDMI) only accept the video?

vinegarshots

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2018
Thanks for the quick reply! I should have mentioned that I'm looking to drive the video from my MBP. Is it not possible to airplay the audio alone from my MBP to the HomePod like I do today but have the wired connection to the projector (I assume USB-C to HDMI) only accept the video?

I don't see any reason why that wouldn't work. It's basically the same setup as the Apple TV setup, except with MBP in place of AppleTV.

pcd213

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 24, 2019
Yeah, I think my only concern is the the HDMI will also send the audio to the projector and then I'll have great audio from the HomePod and terrible audio from the projector, but I suppose I should give it a shot and if it doesn't work, find another solution. Thanks for the help!

vinegarshots

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2018
Yeah, I think my only concern is the the HDMI will also send the audio to the projector and then I'll have great audio from the HomePod and terrible audio from the projector, but I suppose I should give it a shot and if it doesn't work, find another solution. Thanks for the help!

I'd assume you'd be able to either disable or turn the projector audio down separately. Which you'd want to do, as there is a slight delay between wired audio and audio Airplayed to the Homepod, and it makes a strange echo if you have both sources turned on (I use the AppleTV > Homepod setup myself).

pcd213

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 24, 2019
Ah, that’s a great point in manually turning the volume down/off.

Ryan Zimmerman

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2020
I have a similar set up

Apple TV + HomePod + projector
Apple TV video flows HDMI into the projector.

for audio, I have to go into the audio setting in the Apple TV and select the HomePod as my audio output.
I also deselect the Apple TV as an output and this cures the awefull Ecco issue.

the only downside to this is I have to set it that way everytime I boot up the set up, since the HomePod is Deprioritzed in audio default compared to the native HDMI output built into the device.

it would be lovely if the Apple TV let you change the default audio output

pcd213

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 24, 2019
I bought an Anker Nebula projector that was reasonably priced, and I either connect my iPhone or my MacBook to it via HDMI and then airplay the audio to my HomePod. It’s a great little setup. Not perfect, not as seamless as having a home theater setup but for city living, this does just fine.

Ricard Canyellas Guasch

macrumors newbie
Apr 23, 2020
Pair Apple tv and Homepod

This video shows how you can set it so you don't have to do it manually every time apple tv is turned on.

I hope helps you

Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.