Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Skyeboss

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 22, 2019
I tried to change the user name under Administrator from User to my name. After restarting there is no Administrator and and will not accept my name or password or the old User and password. Please help.

Skyeboss

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 22, 2019
Administer is gone from list of users and I cant unlock anything to change the names. Can you explain?

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
Yes, sorry for not adding anything. According to Apple's document, the username must March the name of the home folder. You only changed the username without changing the name of the home folder, so you’ve hosed that account.

You will need to create a new administrator account before you can fix things. Follow the instructions at this link to create a new admin account:

Once you have that done, you should rename the home folder of your original account to match the new account short name. Hopefully the account will work after that. If not, I would recommend restarting to recovery mode and restoring the computer from your most recent backup.

Skyeboss

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 22, 2019
Yes, sorry for not adding anything. According to Apple's document, the username must March the name of the home folder. You only changed the username without changing the name of the home folder, so you’ve hosed that account.

You will need to create a new administrator account before you can fix things. Follow the instructions at this link to create a new admin account:

Once you have that done, you should rename the home folder of your original account to match the new account short name. Hopefully the account will work after that. If not, I would recommend restarting to recovery mode and restoring the computer from your most recent backup.

The process went well but when I rebooted it was hung on the loading screen for about an hour. I force shut it down when I restarted everything was the same as before, no change. I will try the process again in a couple of days and let you know how it went. Thank you very much.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
I hope someone else will make a suggestion. I have never had to fix that problem. I believe it should have worked.

Skyeboss

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 22, 2019
chabig, I tried your advice again and it corrected the problem, not only that it made everything better . Thank you very much. :cool: ?
[automerge]1572568439[/automerge]

Reactions: chabig
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.