Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

swamprock

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2015
Michigan
Spiderweb kind of floats between New Moon and Arctic Fox in terms of performance. I don’t see the 100% spikes in CPU as much on my lowly TiBook, and it seems to load more troublesome sites better. It *almost* loads iCloud.com; something the other two won’t do

Spidermail is awesome. Now I can dump claws-mail, which annoys me to no end.

Once again, great work!

Reactions: wicknix and z970

Imixmuan

Suspended
Dec 18, 2010
Evo is too dog slow for me on PowerPC.

Can we get screenshots of Spiderweb and Spidermail in action on your Tibook when you have the chance?

And by the way, Spiderweb....what a great name for a browser, and why hasn't anyone thought of it before? Thanks to wicknix for keeping PPC alive, as per usual...

Reactions: z970 and wicknix

swamprock

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2015
Michigan
Can we get screenshots of Spiderweb and Spidermail in action on your Tibook when you have the chance?

And by the way, Spiderweb....what a great name for a browser, and why hasn't anyone thought of it before? Thanks to wicknix for keeping PPC alive, as per usual...

Sure thing. This is from my 12" Powerbook though-

spidermail.png

spiderweb.png

DISCLAIMER: Any email addresses shown are public knowledge.

Last edited:

sparty411

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2018
I'm not too well versed in browser stuff, so I don't really understand why, but when I'm using Spiderweb, I noticed that I don't have to solve 20 captchas before I make it happy enough to let me pass. By the way, @wicknix what are your intentions for spiderweb? Will you continue developing it / doing new releases? I like this one in particular.

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
Well all I can think of would be the backend. Arctic fox has code from 38esr-52esr in it. Spiderweb uses UXP for a backend which has code from 52esr-60esr. So it has the guts to be a bit more web compliant.

Yeah, I'll keep spiderweb updated. Probably not as frequently as AF, but I like it as well. Besides having multiple browsers is never a bad thing. :)

Cheers

Reactions: z970 and sparty411

Imixmuan

Suspended
Dec 18, 2010
Thanks and looks great, and Spiderwebs icon was a good choice as well....Borealis, the browser Spiderweb is based on doesn't even seem to be currently available to download, unless you are willing to compile it yourself. So PowerPC Linux gets a browser before Windows/x86 Linux. How hilarious is that?

Pardon my programming ignorance, but is this basically the goanna/XUL engine of Palemoon/Arctic Fox shoehorned into the Borealis chrome? Could this be possible on OS X PPC? There was a SeaMonkey PPC OS X port for awhile. HikerBiker was the developer, but he stopped a few years back.

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
Yes, built using goanna/xul. I doubt it'd ever build on ppc osx. I had a heck of a time just getting Arctic Fox to build and run on ppc osx, and it still has lingering issues i haven't yet solved. I can't even get current goanna/uxp to build on 10.6. 10.7+ isn't an issue. So yeah, more than likely no, unfortunately.

Cheers

sparty411

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2018
Another question, @wicknix , is 64 bit Debian not backwards compatible with 32 bit software? I've tried every single one of your browsers on my Powermac G5 with Debian, and they all give me segfaults when I try to launch them.

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
Correct. They'd need to be rebuilt on a pure 64-bit install. Christian has rebuilt AF that you could try. http://www.xenosoft.de/arcticfox-27.9.16.linux-powerpc64.tar.bz2

I don't have any pure 64-bit ppc linux installs due to its instability. So all my builds will continue to be 32-bit until at least 2021 when Ubuntu 16 stops getting security updates. Staying 32-bit also helps older g4's have decent browsers.

Cheers

Reactions: z970

z970

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2017
Another question, @wicknix , is 64 bit Debian not backwards compatible with 32 bit software? I've tried every single one of your browsers on my Powermac G5 with Debian, and they all give me segfaults when I try to launch them.

PowerProgress builds Arctic Fox from source on 64-bit Debian systems. Add the repo (http://repo.powerprogress.org/), and install Arctic Fox. Last I checked, .16 on Deb64 runs great.

I still need to update the Sid Guide with this...

In any case, if jemalloc is disabled while building from source, it should work. But it was enabled, so that's why we've got those segfaults.

As a fallback, you could try building from source. Did it myself, wasn't too hard. - But considering the available alternatives, that should be unnecessary.

Reactions: wicknix

sparty411

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2018
PowerProgress builds Arctic Fox from source on 64-bit Debian systems. Add the repo (http://repo.powerprogress.org/), and install Arctic Fox. Last I checked, .16 on Deb64 runs great.

I still need to update the Sid Guide with this...

In any case, if jemalloc is disabled while building from source, it should work. But it was enabled, so that's why we've got those segfaults.

As a fallback, you could try building from source. Did it myself, wasn't too hard. - But considering the available alternatives, that should be unnecessary.
Hey, thanks for sharing that repo. How long did it take to compile, and what machine did you use? I never even considered building from source, because I figured it would take an eternity. My G5 is a dual 2.3 GHz with only 2.5 GB RAM.

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
SpiderMail 2.0.0 has been released. Now fully rebranded, including new icons, and built with jemalloc disabled in the hope that it will also run on a few more 32-bit ppc linux distros.

Cheers

Reactions: dextructor and z970

swamprock

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2015
Michigan
SpiderMail 2.0.0 has been released. Now fully rebranded, including new icons, and built with jemalloc disabled in the hope that it will also run on a few more 32-bit ppc linux distros.

Cheers

The link to the binary download still points to 1.0.0, just so you know.

z970

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2017
Finally got to trying SpiderWeb, and it segfaults. Maybe make a 2.0 with jemalloc disabled?

I'm on Debian Sid, 64bit kernel, 32bit userspace.
[doublepost=1559056928][/doublepost]In any case, I've made an installer for it, too. Make sure Netsurf has already been installed.

Install SpiderWeb: (depends: netsurf preinstalled)

1. cd ~/Downloads/ && sudo tar xvjf *.bz2 && sudo mv -f ~/Downloads/spiderweb/ /usr/lib/ && sudo nano /usr/share/applications/netsurf-gtk.desktop

2. Delete everything in window.

3. Copy/Paste into window:

[Desktop Entry]
Name=SpiderWeb
Comment=Browse the World Wide Web
GenericName=Web Browser
X-GNOME-FullName=SpiderWeb
Exec=/usr/lib/spiderweb/spiderweb %u
Terminal=false
X-MultipleArgs=false
Type=Application
Icon=/usr/lib/spiderweb/chrome/icons/default/seamonkey.png
Categories=Network;WebBrowser;
MimeType=text/html;text/xml;application/xhtml+xml;application/xml;application/vnd.mozilla.xul+xml;application/rss+xml;application/rdf+xml;image/gif;image/jpeg;image/png;x-scheme-handler/http;x-scheme-handler/https;
StartupWMClass=spiderweb
StartupNotify=true

4. Confirm functionality.

Update SpiderWeb:

cd ~/Downloads/ && sudo tar xvjf *.bz2 && sudo rm -rf /usr/lib/spiderweb/ && sudo mv -f ~/Downloads/spiderweb/ /usr/lib/

Remove SpiderWeb:

sudo rm -rf /usr/lib/spiderweb && sudo apt autoremove netsurf

Last edited:

z970

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2017
where to download

Spiderweb
Spidermail
Dr. Web Spider

???

https://github.com/wicknix/SpiderWeb/wiki/Download
[doublepost=1559066760][/doublepost]Here's an installer for SpiderMail. Works great, by the way. The application.

Install SpiderMail: (depends: claws-mail preinstalled)

1. cd ~/Downloads/ && sudo tar xvjf *.bz2 && sudo mv -f ~/Downloads/spidermail/ /usr/lib/ && sudo nano /usr/share/applications/claws-mail.desktop

2. Delete everything in window.

3. Copy/Paste into window:

[Desktop Entry]
Name=SpiderMail
Comment=Check your email
GenericName=Email client
X-GNOME-FullName=SpiderMail
Exec=/usr/lib/spidermail/spidermail %u
Terminal=false
X-MultipleArgs=false
Type=Application
Icon=/usr/lib/spidermail/chrome/icons/default/default256.png
Categories=Network;EmailClient;
MimeType=text/html;text/xml;application/xhtml+xml;application/xml;application/vnd.mozilla.xul+xml;application/rss+xml;application/rdf+xml;image/gif;image/jpeg;image/png;x-scheme-handler/http;x-scheme-handler/https;
StartupWMClass=spidermail
StartupNotify=true

4. Confirm functionality.

Update SpiderMail:

cd ~/Downloads/ && sudo tar xvjf *.bz2 && sudo rm -rf /usr/lib/spidermail/ && sudo mv -f ~/Downloads/spidermail/ /usr/lib/

Remove SpiderMail:

sudo rm -rf /usr/lib/spidermail && sudo apt autoremove claws-mail

Last edited:
Reactions: wicknix
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.