Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

z970

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2017
A little off topic, but...
This is for you guys since i don't care for the "Intel" section of this forum. Most of us here have some older Intel Macs also, so i made a few changes and built SpiderWeb for 10.7+ as well. It's built with security and speed in mind, just like the PPC version. More info and download link found here: https://randommacstuff.blogspot.com/

Cheers

And they don't care for us. :)

You're an asset, wick. Keep going.

Roldan

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2019
@wicknix
I have an AmigaOne X5000 with Fienix and Ubuntu 16.04 distros installed, and have already been testing for several months 32-bit Arctic Fox, SpiderWeb and Palemoon.

A couple of questions:
1) Is there any VPN plugin (like CyberGhost, ibVPN etc.) which can be used with these browsers? From where and how should it be installed?

2) Should the Bookmarks Toolbar work in 32-bit Arctic Fox? I have not been able to get it to work in any version, so that there would appear menus in that Toolbar. The space for it is 'used' if the Bookmarks Toolbar is 'checked' in the 'Show' menu, but there are no menu items shown. I have tried to create the menus from scratch and also by importing a .json file from other browsers (Firefox) but no difference. In 'Edit bookmarks' window the dirs and the bookmarks in them are visible and look just like in other browsers (e.g. Firefox).

I remember I tested once a 64-bit version of Arctic Fox in Fedora 27, and there the issue was not present.

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
@Roldan: I'm not sure if there are any vpn extensions for these browsers. You should be able to set up a VPN connection on your machine directly however. This site might be helpful: https://windowsreport.com/vpn-pale-moon/ or this browser extension *might* be useful: https://addons.palemoon.org/addon/proxy-privacy-ruler/

The bookmarks toolbar is one of those hit or miss deals for some people. It works fine on every machine i have (i686 linux, ppc linux, and OS X). I've never been able to reproduce that bug. Others can't get it to work at all. However most people who experienced that issue tried importing everything from FF. PM (and AF) are a slightly different code base, and copying files from a FF profile is generally a bad idea as it tends to break things here and there. So short of deleting your current AF profile and starting fresh (and this may not fix it) there really isn't much we can do about it, since it's impossible to reproduce on our end. Exporting bookmarks from FF and importing the bookmarks.html it created has always worked.

Shown working here on snow leopard. https://forums.macrumors.com/attachments/bkmark-toolbar-png.827826/

Cheers

Roldan

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2019
I have noticed that both ArcticFox and Spiderweb have problems with videos... ArcticFox cannot show at all Instagram videos (there is shown only a black box instead of the front picture, and the 'arrowbutton' to start video is absent). Spiderweb can show the videos, but the colors are always wrong (even if in the front picture they are correct). I have noticed the same problem also when using Viewtube for some other video sources (not Instagram).

Is there a way to correct these problems?

PS. I asked earlier about the VPN programs but have not found yet any solution for PPC Linux. All OS-level programs seem to be only for Intel, there are no PPC-versions. And all browsers seem to be too old to accept VPN plugins.

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
Regarding VPN, it's built in to ubuntu/fienix/debian etc's network manager. No need for a browser plugin.

vpn.png

As for spiderweb, yes, it's a known endianness issue. The red/blue colors are reversed. I have not been able to solve this yet. Arcticfox doesnt support the newer h.265 codec, which i assume instagram uses. Viewtube is the only known work-a-round for certain video sites for now.

Cheers

Roldan

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2019
I think the network manager cannot directly connect to a VPN service. There is needed a customer program, either at the OS level, or installed e.g. into a router... Those offer the 'line' which the network manager needs. But if I am wrong, could you please give a detailed description how you did the job without any additional software ?-)

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
You'll want to install openvpn and network-manager-openvpn (its a vpn plugin for network manager). Then enter your vpn's info and save. In this example i'm using the free freevpn.me. That's it. Now just connect to it from network manager when you want use it.

vpn-setup.png

Cheers

Roldan

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2019
Thanks for your advice! I was able to install openvpn and network-manager-openvpn to Fienix, and now there is in 'Network Connections' the option to create an OpenVPN connection. However, I could not find in any of the configuration tabs (General/Proxy/IPv4 settings/IPv6 settings) a place where to input the username and password (there is address, netmask and gateway on the IPv4 tab).

There were also some certificates to download at the FreeVPN site. What should be done to them...?

Roldan

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2019
Thanks for that link... But it more confused me than clarifed things ;). It was focused on creating a server, and I suppose I do not need to do that first?!

But I already noticed that 'network-manager-openvpn' is not enough to configure OpenVPN connections in Network Manager... You need to install also 'network-manager-openvpn-gnome', in order to get the 'VPN' tab in OpenVPN prefs. Without that, configuration was impossible.

But still, I cannot get that FreeVPN to work (no connection). Is there somewhere a tutorial for configuring that? I was not able to locate such in my searches.

This is how my 'VPN' tab looks in Network manager prefs:

Screenshot at 2020-01-18 12-56-27.png
Screenshot at 2020-01-18 12-56-27.png
[automerge]1579345695[/automerge]

Roldan

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2019
I got finally FreeVPN configured and working (at least 5 of 6 servers)! But there is still a big mystery: spoofing does not seem work in any those servers.... Even if I'm connected to e.g FreeVPN server 6 ('Germany'), I do not get access to videos which work if I spoof Germany with CyberGhost plugin in another computer.
Is there still some setting which should be adjusted...?

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
Glad you got it figured out. I'm not aware of a way to "spoof". At least not with freevpn. It may be possible with nordvpn or some other "pay" service. I rarely, if ever, use a vpn. I just use freevpn for those 1 in a million times when i need one.

Cheers

Roldan

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2019
I did it again. Heh. New web browser for ppc32. Based on the latest Basilisk codebase.
Rebranded and given the name "InterWeb". Makes sense right? ;)
Already packaged as a .deb for easy install on ubuntu/debian/mintppc/fienix.

Great news!-) Thank you again for your efforts for PPC. Unfortunately I cannot test it now as I'm away from my X5000 for several weeks...

Could you please give us a short 'review' and tell, how does it compare to the other PPC Browsers? Does it have problems with bookmarks, or endianess problems with videos?

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
It's a little bit heavier than arcticfox and spiderweb, but everything should work. Videos will still be reverse colored, except for those sites that work with the viewtube script.

Cheers

Roldan

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2019
How about Plugins for InterWeb, can they be installed directly using the Tools/Plugins menu...? Is there a special plugin deposit for Basilisk line browsers, or are they using the same as ArcticFox?

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
It will use basilisks add-ons (built in to addons menu) and can also use hundreds of legacy Firefox add-ons.

Cheers

Last edited:

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
SpiderWeb has been updated to 2.2.1. This is a security update release. A few recent CVE's have been fixed in this build. I recommend updating asap. InterWeb was also just rebuilt with these patches. Same filename and download link. ArcticFox is not affected due to the older code base. SpiderWeb download: https://drive.google.com/file/d/10cGE-40bsh1tZzhzZgmRFM0s17EAoT3h/view?usp=sharing Updated InterWeb: https://drive.google.com/file/d/16gwxlb7oTQU7H-isVsWhbFpBN3YKrG_f/view?usp=sharing Both repacked as .deb for easy installation.

Reactions: Amethyst1 and z970

Roldan

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2019
@wicknix
I have tested in Fienix all the browsers of your (Arctic Fox/SpiderWeb/New Moon/InterWeb), but I cannot get any of them to run audio recordings from the Finnish national broadcast company (here are some samples: https://areena.yle.fi/audio/1-2016102 )! Could you please have a look in this issue, and see if there is some workaround...?

What is peculiar, the ancient Firefox 47 and 52esr versions can play them! But as they cannot be anymore used with the new Fienix 'Soar', some other solution would be wellcome.

There is also one other problem... If you get a 'severe security alert' in your Gmail account, 'New moon' is the only one of those browsers which Google allows to login to solve the issue - all the others are considered outdated and Google demands to first install a newer browser! As it seems that New Moon will not be anymore supported, would it be somehow possible to get e.g. InterWeb to work so that Google accepts it as an up-to-date browser? (Also InterWeb can normally login to Gmail, but not when there is that 'alert situation').

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
Other than Arctic Fox (older code base), all the other browsers are exactly the same except for their user interface. So new moon, interweb, and spider web are all based on UXP and are equally the same. If the older 28.4.1 new moon still works, that means upstream broke something (or purposely removed something) in their newer 28.8.x releases. Not much we can do about that but wait, and hope they fix it.

As for gmail, again, they should all work (except maybe AF), as they are all the same code base. However, why not use a dedicated email client? WebMail is so bloated. I'd suggest spidermail, sylpheed, gnumail etc. Otherwise you can add a user agent override in about:config of any of those browsers and "fake" a newer browser, which usually fixes the "outdated browser" warnings.

Cheers

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.