Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JamesP.

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 13, 2012
When i verify disk i get an alert: Some information was unavailable during an internal lookup.

I cannot verify or repair disk without this error coming up.

2exxd0z.jpg

JamesP.

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 13, 2012
I really hope you have a backup of that drive. You can try and reinstall OS X by erasing the disk. However, I think the drive is toast.

It only happened since Mountain Lion installed a few days ago.

Laptop is less than 10months old.

What can i do to check it or what can I do?

If i verify the partitions separately I get 'appears ok' result.

Verifying volume “Mac”
Checking file systemPerforming live verification.
Checking Journaled HFS Plus volume.
Checking extents overflow file.
Checking catalog file.
Checking multi-linked files.
Checking catalog hierarchy.
Checking extended attributes file.
Checking volume bitmap.
Checking volume information.
The volume Mac appears to be OK.

Verifying volume “Files”
Checking catalog file.
Checking volume bitmap.
The volume Files appears to be OK.

Verifying volume “Stuff”
Checking catalog file.
Checking volume bitmap.
The volume Stuff appears to be OK.

Last edited:

benthewraith

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
Fort Lauderdale, FL
You could try and take it to Apple. They can test and see if they can fix it. I think at the very least if there's something wrong with the partition map you'll need to do an erase/install. 10 months was about how long my MBP's 5400rpm hitachi drive lasted.

JamesP.

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 13, 2012
You could try and take it to Apple. They can test and see if they can fix it. I think at the very least if there's something wrong with the partition map you'll need to do an erase/install. 10 months was about how long my MBP's 5400rpm hitachi drive lasted.

Erase / install, do you mean to format the drive completely and do an OS install.

Is it because i partitoned the drive, is there a reason why separately scanned they all appear ok?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Erase / install, do you mean to format the drive completely and do an OS install.

Is it because i partitoned the drive, is there a reason why separately scanned they all appear ok?

Even though the partitions themselves look okay, there is a table at the root of the disk that maps how the partitions are laid out... and it appears that table is jacked up.

I would guess it is related to your partitioning activity. How and when did you do this partitioning?

If you back everything up, then boot to an external recovery USB key and remove all the partitions and start over with one new partition, that would help trouble shoot.

JamesP.

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 13, 2012
Even though the partitions themselves look okay, there is a table at the root of the disk that maps how the partitions are laid out... and it appears that table is jacked up.

I would guess it is related to your partitioning activity. How and when did you do this partitioning?

If you back everything up, then boot to an external recovery USB key and remove all the partitions and start over with one new partition, that would help trouble shoot.

I done 1 partition 2weeks ago and the other this week.

Is there a way join all partitions back under the one and keep files.
See if that could sort it?

How do I make a recovery USB key?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I done 1 partition 2weeks ago and the other this week.

Is there a way join all partitions back under the one and keep files.
See if that could sort it?

How do I make a recovery USB key?

Make sure you backup everything first.

You can try that. Just follow this guide. Just click the non-boot partition then the minus sign to remove them one at a time. The boot partition and grab the handle at the bottom and expand it to fill the drive. Try that then a reboot and see if that helps.

Use this tool from Apple to make a recovery USB key.

If the repartitioning above does not work, boot from the recovery key and once it starts launch Disk Utiilty and click on the drive itself (where it says 500.11GB in your grab) and go to the erase tab and format to OS X Extended all as one partition. Then install the OS. It will take some time as the OS will be downloaded from Apple's servers.

JamesP.

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 13, 2012
Make sure you backup everything first.

You can try that. Just follow this guide. Just click the non-boot partition then the minus sign to remove them one at a time. The boot partition and grab the handle at the bottom and expand it to fill the drive. Try that then a reboot and see if that helps.

I clicked the minus on 1 partition and it said it could not unmount it?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I clicked the minus on 1 partition and it said it could not unmount it?

Try this... make the recovery USB key and option key boot to that then try the repartitioning of the main drive from Disk Util on the recovery key. This way none of the main partitions will be mounted.

JamesP.

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 13, 2012
Try this... make the recovery USB key and option key boot to that then try the repartitioning of the main drive from Disk Util on the recovery key. This way none of the main partitions will be mounted.

I did this. I deleted the files partition.

And now have just 2 partitions, still getting that error.

I'l need to buy a drive to backup before doing fresh install.

Is ti the partitionis the prboem or is their bigger problem with the disk do you think.

Last edited:

JamesP.

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 13, 2012
I honestly am not sure, but would try the erase I described first if you can.

I done as you said, done fresh format, and clean install, verified disk and it works out perfect. Back to normal.

Is there a certain way to partition disk, should i do it through recovery usb.
Instead of when I'm logged on, to prevent this from happening again..or would I be best of leave it as is.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I done as you said, done fresh format, and clean install, verified disk and it works out perfect. Back to normal.

Instead of when I'm logged on, to prevent this from happening again..or would I be best of leave it as is.

Glad it worked out! :)

You can just add a partition normally using Disk Util from your regular account. I'm still not sure what went wrong before. Just follow this.

That said, exactly what are you trying to accomplish with separate partitions? Unless you plan to run another OS on a second partition, usually in OS X there is no need for extra partitions like you had. Unless you have a really good reason to partition, I would not mess with it.

benthewraith

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
Fort Lauderdale, FL

I think you should leave it as is. Unless you're running multiple oses there's no real reason to separate the partitions. Glad your hard drive is back to normal. :)

Vish321

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2018
My internal hard drive stop working and i replaced with the new one but how i can recover my data from non working hard drive even when i am connecting with my laptop using external case it shows up in disk utility but i dont know how i can recover....
PLEASE HELP

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.