Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eclipse

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 18, 2005
Sydney
hi,
I'm having trouble with vertical distance in GoLive.

eg: my home page.

I want to have a certain distance between various headings and sections of http://www.eclispenow.org but really can't seem to get the "box" tool working properly. Any ideas for guaranteeing vertical distance... without getting into html? (Html scares me at this stage.):eek:

radiantm3

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2005
San Jose, CA
eclipse said:
hi,
I'm having trouble with vertical distance in GoLive.

eg: my home page.

I want to have a certain distance between various headings and sections of http://www.eclispenow.org but really can't seem to get the "box" tool working properly. Any ideas for guaranteeing vertical distance... without getting into html? (Html scares me at this stage.):eek:

I looked at your code and almost crapped my pants! Some scary case of DIVitis (among other things) going on in there. :eek: :p

I don't think anyone can help you until your code is cleaned up. :eek:

eclipse

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 18, 2005
Sydney
Ummmm, I don't use code. :eek: :eek: :eek:

I just use the graphical interface, and there has been LOTS of editing on that home page. :eek: :eek: :D

homerjward

macrumors 68030
May 11, 2004
fig tree
wow...that code is really messy, but the site looks great!
i'm not entirely sure which boxes you're talking about either. html code really isn't all that scary in fact. once you know a few basic tags and such it's pretty easy. like here's the code to make a really basic page that says "hello world" in helvetica, size 5, green, and centered. oh, and with a title.
Code:
<html>
<head>
<title>Hi</title>
</head>
<body>
<center>
<font face="helvetica" size="5" color="green">Hello World</font>
</center>
</body>
</html>
the <html> tag tells the browser to start an html document, the <head> tells it that there's information about the page that won't be displayed in the page, the <title> opens a tag that says what to display in the title bar, the </title> says that the title is finished. the </head> says that the info about the page is done. the <body> tells what to display, basically. the <center> tells it to center the following info, the <font> tag, along with the attributes face, size, and color, and the values helvetica, 5, and green tell it how to style the text. "Hellow World" tells it the text to display. </font> tells it that that's the end of the text styled that way. </center> stops text after that from being centered, </body> ends the main info, and </html> closes the document. in general to open a tag it goes like <tag> and to close it it's <tag> and to define attributes and values it's <tag attribute="value"> and then </tag> there are, of course, exceptions...
knowing the basics of the code and such can really help you simplify the code that golive generates, and a lot of things are easier, imo, to do by hand than in golive. link targets, for example. for the life of me i cant figure out how to get a link to open in an iframe in golive without going into the source...:rolleyes:
sorry for the long post :eek:

eclipse

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 18, 2005
Sydney
Thanks for that 101 — it helps.
What does designating something a "title" do if you are also putting in size 5 green text?

I know how to customize my CSS within GoLive's graphical interface so that "title" means something by going into the CSS menus and then clicking on my CSSs "tags" on the sideline bar thingy. In other words, I create a standard title look without code. :eek:

homerjward

macrumors 68030
May 11, 2004
fig tree
eclipse said:
Thanks for that 101 — it helps.
What does designating something a "title" do if you are also putting in size 5 green text?

I know how to customize my CSS within GoLive's graphical interface so that "title" means something by going into the CSS menus and then clicking on my CSSs "tags" on the sideline bar thingy. In other words, I create a standard title look without code. :eek:
the title i made is just the page title. i don't know css yet :eek:

eclipse

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 18, 2005
Sydney
Oh, you mean the title of the browser page says "Hi" up the top, and then what they read in the actual web page is your Green writing?

I never knew it was that simple in code... I only did it by filling in the appropriate box within GoLive.

but there seem to be layers and layers... there are CSS things I have no idea about that do involve code. We should "Matrix load" our different skill sets to each other (if only I could lie in that Matrix couch for a few days... I would upload so many things.):)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.