Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ekansh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 25, 2018
I made a video of about 1 hour on iPhone X and was trimming it short and cancelled the process in between. Now the video file in Photo's app shows not supported and the time stamp has also gone. When I check the iPhone storage from Settings, the video size still shows 5.25GB but when I try copying the video to my Windows PC, it shows only 555mb (which is corrupted, tried repairing it). How to get the backup file which is 5.25gb size showing in Settings app. Please help!

Attachments

• IMG-8045.JPG
    IMG-8045.JPG
    66.5 KB · Views: 347
  • IMG-8047.JPG
    IMG-8047.JPG
    319.1 KB · Views: 235
  • IMG-8048.JPG.jpg
    IMG-8048.JPG.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 1,037

ColdCase

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
NH
So when you trimmed you told it to modify/overwrite the original video or did you tell it to make make a new video? I thought the Photos app typically kept a backup copy until the process completes. You don't have any other generated videos on the phone?

The way video codecs typically work is the the current frame depends on several if not all before it, so when you corrupt a "frame" you typically corrupt the rest of the file, it just loses track. If you can find a app that will play the video up to the corruption, you may be able to salvage up to that point. Not sure if a data/file recovery firm can help.

ekansh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 25, 2018
So when you trimmed you told it to modify/overwrite the original video or did you tell it to make make a new video? I thought the Photos app typically kept a backup copy until the process completes. You don't have any other generated videos on the phone?

The way video codecs typically work is the the current frame depends on several if not all before it, so when you corrupt a "frame" you typically corrupt the rest of the file, it just loses track. If you can find a app that will play the video up to the corruption, you may be able to salvage up to that point. Not sure if a data/file recovery firm can help.
I tried trimming the Original Video file that's why it got corrupted when I cancelled the process in between. Although the Settings is showing the size as 5.25GB but I'm unable to find the file anywhere. if at all it's possible to get that file, I'll try repairing it on my Windows. Because the video file(corrupted) in Photos App is not running and is only 555MB.

ColdCase

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
NH
I haven't been there in awhile, but there used to be third party apps that would find and off load files from phones. You could try the iPhone or iOS forums. Sorry I'm no help. Someone who knows what he's doing may jump in here within a few days.

adamcbm

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2019
I made a video of about 1 hour on iPhone X and was trimming it short and cancelled the process in between. Now the video file in Photo's app shows not supported and the time stamp has also gone. When I check the iPhone storage from Settings, the video size still shows 5.25GB but when I try copying the video to my Windows PC, it shows only 555mb (which is corrupted, tried repairing it). How to get the backup file which is 5.25gb size showing in Settings app. Please help!

I did this exact same thing did you ever find a solution ekansh?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.