Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

C Punkt

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 2, 2019
Hi! I have to manage this because of a spacial obstruction. Can I choose different output devices for audio and video from the iPhone? Sound must come from a different room than where the Apple TV and TV is. Thanks!

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
You can't split video and audio at the iPhone, but you don't have to. Airplay audio/video from your iPhone to the ATV, and set the ATV's audio output to the Bluetooth speakers.

Reactions: cynics

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Unless I'm misunderstanding that is something you can do, I do it all the time as a matter of fact. You just can't do it all from the iPhone.

You need to AirPlay from your iPhone to your AppleTV. On your AppleTV select a different audio output. Thats it.

IMG_0500.png

Sorry about the contrast but the above picture is my iPhone (blue box) AirPlaying a youtube video to that monitor on an AppleTV HD. The AppleTV HD has its audio set to a bluetooth speaker (red box). I use a set of Samsung headphones on occasion as well and it works fine.

You just need to pair the bluetooth speaker in settings > Remotes and Devices > Bluetooth.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.