Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JeffPerrin

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2014
I don't know if anyone's mentioned it earlier in the thread but when you look at a waveform for a CD track vs it's vinyl counterpart, there'll be differences because of the compression to make an album fit on CDs.

Expect for CDs produced from the late 80's to early 90's, which predate the "loudness wars." Multitrack tape mastered to CD. That generation of audio medium is the best we've had to date! IMHO, of course! :)

//

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

chirpie

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2010
I don't know if anyone's mentioned it earlier in the thread but when you look at a waveform for a CD track vs it's vinyl counterpart, there'll be differences because of the compression to make an album fit on CDs.

It's not that kind of compression. We're talking dynamic range compression, not data compression. The redbook audio format has a much larger dynamic range limit vs a pressed record. CD's often get crappier masters than LPs even though a CD could fully replicate the dynamic range. Someone literally delivers a worse remastered recording for the CD vs the LP, assuming the audience will prefer the artificial loudness.

An LP is lucky to get 30 minutes a side (And the audio quality will take a hit, particularly with the bass), whereas CD's are usually 74-80 minutes.

Last edited:

ThisBougieLife

Suspended
Jan 21, 2016
Northern California
I would consider myself a vinyl enthusiast :)

Granted I only really became interested in it last fall, but since then my interest has skyrocketed. I own five turntables (mostly Technics), ten carts, and I have almost 200 vinyl albums (almost all classical). I'm no expert, and mostly I've been dealing with p-mount cartridges (so no alignment to deal with) but I love the sound I can get out of it. My CD collection is still far ahead of my vinyl collection, but I'm building it up. It'll be a life-long hobby of mine :)

I still will mostly listen to CDs because of the fact that every recording I can think of is on CD (can't say the same for vinyl) and CDs have better consistent quality, but there's nothing like the sound of vinyl.

This is my main turntable setup:

rm4inm.png

Technics SL-Q30 quartz direct drive with an Audio Technics AT331LP linear contact cartridge (plus an unseen Technics receiver). I can get some awesome sound out of this thing :)

Last edited:

dandeco

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2008
Brockton, MA
I'm still using my Numark PT-01USB record player, and while it still works pretty well, I couldn't help but notice kind of a drop in the sound quality, mainly when I digitize a record. I'm guessing the default sapphire stylus is starting to wear down, and I am considering replacing it with a diamond stylus, as I heard diamond is much better than stylus when it comes to playing records.

sman789

Customer Support
Staff member
Dec 25, 2007
Richmond, VA
I'm still using my Numark PT-01USB record player, and while it still works pretty well, I couldn't help but notice kind of a drop in the sound quality, mainly when I digitize a record. I'm guessing the default sapphire stylus is starting to wear down, and I am considering replacing it with a diamond stylus, as I heard diamond is much better than stylus when it comes to playing records.
You can pick up a diamond stylus on eBay for a few bucks but I used to have a similar turntable and now I've seen the light. It was a Sony USB deck with a similar nonadjustable tone-arm. Those things abuse records. If you sometimes listen through headphones, take a record and headphones you own to a local record shop and do a listening comparison.

Giuanniello

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2012
Capri - Italy
If I had space (and money) I would fill a shelf with turntables, first would be an Oracle Delphi MK VI, then a Micro Seiki BL51, then a VPI, no matter which...

I am waiting to get a tube amp to couple with my AR SP-9 to serve the JBL4311B and have to get also new belt for the Gyro and wires for the pick-up, some maintenance...

Any idea where in EU can send a Zeta tonearm and a Rega RB303 to rewire? My Gyro has two tonearm bases and I'd like to fill the hole with one of the two, maybe the Zeta as main and either the RB or the Linn as a secondary one and sell the remaining...

Thank you

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
Ten years ago, I decided to transition my CD collection to vinyls. It has taken som time, but I'm 100% vinyl now.

Have a Rega RP6 player with Rega Exact and Ortofon pickup. Sounds lovely.

????

What the heck is going on?

I GOT RID of my 200 albums in the early 90's because "CD's are sooooo much better and albums are worthless"... I sold mine for a dime a piece (Rush, Fleetwood Mac, Pink Floyd, Led Zepplin, etc.) and threw away the rest as "they are worthless".

Good thing I didn't have time to take my B&O and AR turntables to the trash... :eek:

So I missed them and about 15 years ago got some of records used for .50 to $1. "I'll get them later - who would want these?"

Now, if I want to replace my records, used ones are $15-$20!!! :eek:

I was at a store that sold records new and a guy was buying "Fleetwood Mac Rumors" new - flashback as I was with my Aunt the day she got her copy as a NEW RELEASE, as it was near the top of the Billboards...

What is going on?

bbrks

macrumors 65816
Dec 17, 2013
Nothing much....only vinyl is coming back again....big time....:)

Giuanniello

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2012
Capri - Italy
Time to buy some "vintage" stereo, I added the beautiful Gyrodec (under restoration as in need of new belt, headshell wires and fine tune) to my early 80s JBL4311B and just threw in a push-pull of KT88 to match the AudioResearch SP9, thinking of upgrading to JBL L220 (I don't have a wife, only have to be careful when mum comes to visit, she said "a woman would never walk in here...") to listen to my teen age albums ;-)

Jokes apart I thing the new "heavy vinyl" is mostly a commercial move, once my setup is back to working conditions I will try some but I wouldn't want them to be an analog version of a CD

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I like the pops

Sometimes I do as well. I remember one of the earlier CD's I purchased freaked me out.

Bon Jovi - New Jersey album
Track: Ride Cowboy Ride

This was intentionally mastered to sound like an old vinyl recording and playback. I checked speakeres, amp, etc at my moms back in the 90's and I couldn't understand until I played it over and over again. The pops was real and authentic. Producer did a great job on this track. Not my choice track but nontheless was done well.

ThisBougieLife

Suspended
Jan 21, 2016
Northern California
I finally managed to get myself a current turntable! I still have my vintage ones, but I'm loving the build-quality of the Pro-Ject Debut Carbon DC:

ZGIWbRz.png

I'm going to upgrade it with the acrylic platter and change the Ortofon 2M Red to a 2M Blue. Should be pretty awesome :D

Reactions: sman789 and bbrks

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I finally managed to get myself a current turntable! I still have my vintage ones, but I'm loving the build-quality of the Pro-Ject Debut Carbon DC:

ZGIWbRz.png

I'm going to upgrade it with the acrylic platter and change the Ortofon 2M Red to a 2M Blue. Should be pretty awesome :D

Right on ... Direct Drive right? not that belt drive business?

DblHelix

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2009
I’ll post some pics. My current setup is a VPI scout with an Ortofon 2M black cartridge and nuwave phono stage. Will likely go a step up transformer and low output MC cartridge next year. Also trying to go tube for my front stage next year

Giuanniello

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2012
Capri - Italy
I am right now deciding at what to keep and what to sell, have this wonderful Gyrodec MKI which sees little (not to say no) use with three arms, only one mounted now, a Linn LV X and on the side a Rega 4003 (which I suppose being an RB300 rebranded by Michell itself) and a Zeta, both of these latter ones in need of rewire so to me not that appealing the investment so at the end decided to sell the Zeta and maybe rewire the Rega as to keep it as a spare and, probably, also sell the Kiseki step up which is a nice object to show on the shelf but there just to collect dust since the AT cartridge I am now running doesn't need one...

VPI are wonderful machines, my dream one is an Oracle Delphi MKIV or superior

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Here's the turntable I recently bought, a Teac TN-300.

IMG_8827.jpeg

I went to a record store yesterday and picked up some LP's. My dad also let me go through his small collection and take what I wanted. I'll get some photos of what I have now and post them a bit later.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains

View attachment 839206

I went to a record store yesterday and picked up some LP's. My dad also let me go through his small collection and take what I wanted. I'll get some photos of what I have now and post them a bit later.
Are LPs still manufactured as new? Pardon, if I asked this already. What used to drive me crazy about them, when I listened to them, was how easily they seemed to develop imperfections (scratches).

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”

View attachment 839206

Love the matte(?) finish. Many others have that finger-print magnet piano one...

Are LPs still manufactured as new?

Oh yeah, big crazy fad right now... and on top of that many are digitally sourced anyways - sort of defeats the purpose...

Reactions: Huntn

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Are LPs still manufactured as new? Pardon, if I asked this already. What used to drive me crazy about them, when I listened to them, was how easily they seemed to develop imperfections (scratches).
Oh yes! Vinyl has been making a small comeback over the recent years as a niche hobby. Many new albums are offered in vinyl, CD and sometimes even cassette. Check out your favorite albums and artists on Amazon and you'll usually see the option for vinyl. Over on bandcamp.com a lot of new and upcoming artists not only offer lossless digital downloads but vinyl, CD and some cassettes.

I think the imperfections like minor scratches is a part of the nostalgia and fun for some listeners. It's something different than the perfect, sterile, audiophile sound we get from today's lossless formats. It's just a different way to enjoy music for some.
Love the matte(?) finish. Many others have that finger-print magnet piano one...
Thanks. Yeah so far no noticeable smudges are visible on it

Here is what I scooped up yesterday.

IMG_8833.jpg
IMG_8834.jpg
IMG_8835.jpg
IMG_8836.jpg
IMG_8837.jpg
IMG_8838.jpg

bbrks

macrumors 65816
Dec 17, 2013
LP is in again. Huge number of new and old productions. And no scratches on 180 gr or 200 gr vinyls.
Pure joy:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.