Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
A double LP and a 45 of Pink Floyd came in today.

IMG_8846.jpg

IMG_8847.jpg

s15119

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2010
I prefer vinyl, seems to have a warmer, richer sound to me. I take good care of my records and rarely hear pops. I have two turntables, and while I am no DJ, occasionally can get a pretty good mix going.

sman789

Customer Support
Staff member
Dec 25, 2007
Richmond, VA
I'm almost at the 900 mark...I think I'll probably try to cap it around 1,000; just not enough room. Most recent purchases:
View attachment 839713
View attachment 839714

...and a Nagaoka cartridge to replace the one I bent :(
How do you store them?

I'm around the 250 mark. I'm moving into a new house and want to either build or buy something snazzy.

Reactions: SandboxGeneral

MattG

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2003
Asheville, NC
How do you store them?

I'm around the 250 mark. I'm moving into a new house and want to either build or buy something snazzy.

So it's kind of a mix right now.

- I've got some of the IKEA "Kallax" type furniture (the cubes)

- I also have a couple of these:
http://www.cdcabinets.com/LP-Cabinet.htm
I regret getting them. They're kind of clunky and hard to open. I don't think they were really designed with vinyl in mind, just sort of tweaked a bit and repurposed so they'd have something to sell. If I were doing it again, I'd probably just buy all IKEA Kallax and reinforce the backs for extra stability.

- I also just got one of these for the office. I like it!
https://www.turntablelab.com/products/line-phono-turntable-station

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
So it's kind of a mix right now.

- I've got some of the IKEA "Kallax" type furniture (the cubes)

- I also have a couple of these:
http://www.cdcabinets.com/LP-Cabinet.htm
I regret getting them. They're kind of clunky and hard to open. I don't think they were really designed with vinyl in mind, just sort of tweaked a bit and repurposed so they'd have something to sell. If I were doing it again, I'd probably just buy all IKEA Kallax and reinforce the backs for extra stability.

- I also just got one of these for the office. I like it!
https://www.turntablelab.com/products/line-phono-turntable-station

While I have no where near as many, we use the Kallax four cube shelf system and have the turntable on the top with the receiver underneath and speakers to the side. Not ideal for the audio part of it, but it works and I thoroughly enjoy listening to the crackle and sound of vinyl.

The Kallax size is perfect for the albums, perfect fit.

MattG

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2003
Asheville, NC
View attachment 860052
Long time since i posted here.! Picked this up recently. Beautiful pressing and boxset. Love it.

Nice...I love MOFI stuff but sometimes a little too expensive for me to justify. I'm tempted by their recent offering of Yes's "Fragile" but, at $125 I can't justify it when I already have the Steven Wilson remix that came out a while back.

Reactions: stormyuklondon1

ThisBougieLife

Suspended
Jan 21, 2016
Northern California
I won't get back into vinyl ...

Do it! ? Join the dark side.

I finally managed to convince both my parents to get back into vinyl. My dad still had a few records from back in the day but in the 90s he got rid of the nice turntable he received as a birthday present when he was in high school. He never figured vinyl would come back!

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Do it! ? Join the dark side.

I've done vinyl in the past, er, I mean, I did it because it was the main mechanism for buying music :D

Then I had a little "getting back into it", didn't buy much, but setup some old "vintage" equipment along with my CD player, etc., then I pretty much put all of it into storage and there it still is.

I get it, I love the ritualistic process of preparing a record, the bigphysicall album art, the idea of analog, the crazy printed/colored/cutout records - but I'm pretty good with a high end CD player, a good amount of music in high quality digital formats, and focusing on the delivery tech (like I'm using a tube headphone amp).

Next month I am gonna get new belts for my Michell Gyrodec and, finally, enjoy some old vinyl through my vintage stereo

Holy smokes man, post some pics, that's some serious audio pr0n :D

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
Will you people STOP bumping this thread?

OK, I guess it wouldn't hurt to just LOOK at a few turntables ...

Oh, yes, you will... :p

Listened to The Cars - "Heartbeat City" original pressing on that sad day. What an awesome analog master!!!

• Haha
Reactions: D.T.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Will you people STOP bumping this thread?

OK, I guess it wouldn't hurt to just LOOK at a few turntables ...

It happens to the best of us. It starts with a look... and then a visit to your local vinyl record 2nd hand store... Next thing you know, you are in deep. Loving it, but there is no turning back.

Last edited:

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Hahaha, yeah, not only do we have an oddly high number of vinyl stores in the area, we have places like this (that I already go to quite a bit):

We have something similar in Los Angeles... They have a once a year sale where you purchase one regular priced record and then they send you over to the warehouse and holy smokes... you can pick up 100 records for free! Yes 100!!! It is pretty darn good but man there is a lot of digging around!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.