Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tpr007

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2007
Hong Kong
My psvr arrived yesterday. It's a nice bit of kit. Easy to set up.

My girlfriend and I hadn't ever tried vr, and she wasn't interested, but her reaction to ocean descent was priceless.... you can see her starting to get really freaked after about 30 seconds!! (Hopefully this link works https://www.instagram.com/p/BLtIr-_gffC/?taken-by=tonyryan666 )

The free vr playroom actually has a really good platform if game worth trying out too. There's quite a bit of free content on the store.

Reactions: cynics

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 5, 2005
I played around with the VR for a good hour tonight, just trying the various demos. Until Dawn: Rush of Blood was the most convincing so far, it's actually pretty well done. I also tried Here They Lie, Battlezone, Thumper and Rez Unlimited. None of these are bad, but none of them are great either.

I will try the rest of the demos and also wait for the Trackmania patch....but I am pretty sure I will return this thing and get my money back. It's just too cumbersome for relaxed on-the-couch gaming. Big clunky cable across the room, countless cables around the PS4 and VR processing box, tough to find the sweet spot for a sharp image, practically blind to the outside world (where is my glass of water?), can't look at my wife while talking to her, output resolution to my tv gets jacked around, and it's kind of a strain on the eyes after a while. And the games so far really aren't that great once the VR novelty wears off.

Maybe I will come back to it in a few years, when it has "real games". Or Minecraft support. I would rebuy this in an instant if Minecraft was suppported! :D

Reactions: MRU

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I played around with the VR for a good hour tonight, just trying the various demos. Until Dawn: Rush of Blood was the most convincing so far, it's actually pretty well done. I also tried Here They Lie, Battlezone, Thumper and Rez Unlimited. None of these are bad, but none of them are great either.

I will try the rest of the demos and also wait for the Trackmania patch....but I am pretty sure I will return this thing and get my money back. It's just too cumbersome for relaxed on-the-couch gaming. Big clunky cable across the room, countless cables around the PS4 and VR processing box, tough to find the sweet spot for a sharp image, practically blind to the outside world (where is my glass of water?), can't look at my wife while talking to her, output resolution to my tv gets jacked around, and it's kind of a strain on the eyes after a while. And the games so far really aren't that great once the VR novelty wears off.

Maybe I will come back to it in a few years, when it has "real games". Or Minecraft support. I would rebuy this in an instant if Minecraft was suppported! :D

Essentially I found the same with Gear VR and it's what i suspected with PSVR ...

twinlight

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2016
The dual camera is a steppingstone for a future AR/VR implementation with iPhone being the screen and the camera doing depth sensing and 3D mapping of the world around you.

So you can go full VR or just use AR or even get PiP ofthe real world when you are using the phone as VR headset.

s0nicpr0s

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2010
Illinois

I was able to try a demo of it at the local Best Buy, and I can say for certain that the sweet spot is incredibly tough to get into. At least it was with the tech doing all of the adjustments save for the sliding of the display. If he hadn't tightened it down yet, I think I could have more easily gotten the sharper image without fiddling. I was surprised that my glasses weren't an issue while putting the headset on, and that it was rather comfortable (thankfully since I couldn't see much without them in this case...).

Only got to demo RIGs, but would like to try a few others the next time I get a chance. My wife did the Harmonix music one, and her best description of the experience was 'trippy.'

Unless some huge killer app comes, I will either be waiting for version 2, or at least a nice price drop before picking up my own. Minecraft would be a nice little bonus =D

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 5, 2005
Just boxed it up to ship it back to Amazon tomorrow. Never even touched it again since three weeks ago, just never really felt like I wanted that hassle. Didn't try out Trackmania either.

The tech is good, but right now it's not the gaming experience I want. I may come back to VR in a few years.

Reactions: MRU

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I keep meaning to share my thoughts on PSVR! I know it's out already but a couple of weeks ago I got to attend a PSVR demo event where I got to try Outreach (I think it's called? The FPS one), Driveclub, and that sportsy roboty one. My partner tried Resident Evil too.

I think the tech needs maturing a bit. The resolution on the display was pretty low, and I expected a much wider field of view. It was like I was looking through a helmet which did work on the games I tried but I can imagine that getting irritating if its the only way to enjoy VR. (Bear in mind this is the first time I've tried VR since the first Oculus Rift kit years ago. I was expecting a much bigger leap in tech).

It does feel comfy though, and I was *really* impressed with how the gun controller worked in Outreach [or whatever it was called!]. Being able to look at your shoulder was real neat!

But its made me hold off. This is great for first gen stuff but I'm really looking forward to where this goes. A higher resolution, a higher FOV, processing hardware that can really shine.

I think they made a huge mistake in not patching their games to support VR, instead of selling additional games. There is NO reason the regular version of Driveclub doesn't have a VR option. That Batman minigame is also way too short, it needs to be a free update or included in that Return to Arkham game. 3D Bluray and Youtube should have been supported right on day 1. It also needs PC compatibility. I know it's a cheap device for what it is, and the fact VR versions of games are sold separately tells us they're losing money on each device sold, so PC compatibility this early on isn't going to happen. BUT. It would make me buy one knowing that I can use it for so much more.

That said if Minecraft, GTAV, and Skyrim support it I'll buy one.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
I am interested in a few games already for the system.

Too bad they're not enabling 2D gameplay on them... :mad:

I also see here on YouTube reviewers that PS4 Pro enhancements make the game look better. This makes sense since your virtually sitting "close" to the display.

Reactions: 0098386

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I bought a PSVR yesterday. Absolutely love it! I went to a few demos and I've been playing around with various (old) Oculus Rift kits.

My favourite experience so far has been the Battlefront Rogue One VR mission. One of the very first modern game experiences I had was Rogue Squadron on the GC - it was the first 'useable' 3D game I owned (I like the N64 and PS1 as consoles but their 3D visuals were so clunky) and I sunk hours into it just flying around soaking in the atmosphere. The VR Mission really feels like a sequel to that for me. I'm back in space shooting Tie Fighters, I'm once again astounded by tech, and I've got John Williams' epic soundtrack blasting away in the background.

Trackmania's VR Mode is pretty fun too. It takes a bit of getting used to, and it's a shame you can't always drive in first person mode in VR.

Oh! And a huge surprise was how good Youtube VR is! I lost a few hours to that!

And there are PC drivers/app now available that mimics the function of Steam VR. It's a bit problematic, what with the Steam VR controllers. But. I really *really* can't wait to play Eurotruck Simulator in VR with my racing wheel (with gear stick). It's going to be so good and so nerdy!

Once again I'm in love with the tech. I can see how it can be improved - it isn't perfect after all, but right now I think it's incredible. Here I am at 3am because I forgot what time it was.

Reactions: Sensamic

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
I bought a PSVR yesterday. Absolutely love it! I went to a few demos and I've been playing around with various (old) Oculus Rift kits.

My favourite experience so far has been the Battlefront Rogue One VR mission. One of the very first modern game experiences I had was Rogue Squadron on the GC - it was the first 'useable' 3D game I owned (I like the N64 and PS1 as consoles but their 3D visuals were so clunky) and I sunk hours into it just flying around soaking in the atmosphere. The VR Mission really feels like a sequel to that for me. I'm back in space shooting Tie Fighters, I'm once again astounded by tech, and I've got John Williams' epic soundtrack blasting away in the background.

Trackmania's VR Mode is pretty fun too. It takes a bit of getting used to, and it's a shame you can't always drive in first person mode in VR.

Oh! And a huge surprise was how good Youtube VR is! I lost a few hours to that!

And there are PC drivers/app now available that mimics the function of Steam VR. It's a bit problematic, what with the Steam VR controllers. But. I really *really* can't wait to play Eurotruck Simulator in VR with my racing wheel (with gear stick). It's going to be so good and so nerdy!

Once again I'm in love with the tech. I can see how it can be improved - it isn't perfect after all, but right now I think it's incredible. Here I am at 3am because I forgot what time it was.
I don't understand the part about PC drivers. Do you mean you can use the PSVR with PCs?

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I don't understand the part about PC drivers. Do you mean you can use the PSVR with PCs?
There's a program you run on Windows and it tricks Steam VR into thinking you're using a Vive. I'm on my phone no but I'm sure you can find it if you look around (lol. Look around. Get it?)

Three141

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2016
London
I tried HTC VR at PC world a month back, it was pretty good.

My main concern was space, as I got furniture in the way. But my taste in gaming is changing and i'm bored of shooters; I'm back into driving games like Forza and Project cars; get those games and add steering wheel compatibility and I'm in; plus those games would only require a stationary setup.

As a Tour De France fan; I hope one day they can simulate you being part of the actual peleton, using those gym style spinning bikes which adjust for gradient, that would be awesomeness.

Jovian9

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2003
Planet Zebes
First off let me preface this with I am no playstation fan. Never have been. I've always had friends who owned them and there were games I enjoyed but they were just never my thing. I've always had an issue with the controllers and length of my hands and it just keeps me away from it. I prefer Nintendo and Xbox.

With that being said; back in the fall my wife started talking about VR. I knew it was happening with Oculus, Vive, and Sony soon but had not paid much attention to it. Someone she works with had played one of the PC ones and was talking about how great it was. My kids started talking about it a lot too. I ended up getting them one of those $20 VR headsets you put your iPhone in and can run google cardboard games in (for Christmas). Tested it when I got it and loved it. I have all Macs in my house (with bootcamp) so I'm not about to spend $1k on a new computer and $700-$1000 on the Rift or Vive.

So I caught a last minute Christmas PS4 slim with one game deal on Amazon for $200. PS4 sat there for mainly spotify use since then. Until about two weeks ago I found a refurbished PSVR Launch Bundle for $375. (PSVR, demo disc, camera, two move controllers, and Playstation worlds game). Got it with quick shipping and it was all brand new. Never had the wrapping taken off of it. Great start.

Plugged it in and did the shark game. Loved it. Kids loved it. Wife loved it. Did the heist game. Loved it. Downloaded Batman, picked up Eve Valkyrie, and ordered RE7. Plus other demos. Batman was amazing, albeit short. Eve Valkyrie is fun, but I haven't spent much time in it yet. RE7 is spectacular.

After the first week on it I adapted and no longer get tired of wearing it. I have my footstool setup to where I push it against the wall and it marks for me with my leg where to stop so I don't run into things. I never have camera issues. After the first few days I got used to where it would sit on my face to avoid blurriness. I let my kids do about 30 minutes at a time (they have the carnival game now too) and for now, it's become a "chore-motivator" each day.

I couldn't care less about any non-VR Playstation games but I absolutely love the PSVR!

Reactions: 0098386

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Gone a bit mad with the PSVR stuff. Bought a load of games and haven't had time to test them all out yet! But I'm currently really enjoying Batman Arkham VR, it reminds me so much of a point and click adventure game. I hope they make more stories like this, and other devs do too.

Resident Evil 7 is amazing in VR but I'm not scared of it. I went into it fearing my life and so far I haven't jumped or dreaded progressing into an area I know to have encounters.

Very tempted to buy a new racing wheel for Dirt Rally in VR. WHEEL see!

Oh, and I'm enjoying playing non-VR, non-PS4 titles on it too. I wired it up to my iMac and played some Mario World (with CRT shaders on) and it was great! With a wireless SNES controller of course ;) I think I might be the first person in the world to play Sonic 2 on a NES Classic with a SNES controller wearing a PSVR.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
For the people using it, especially since launch.

Are you using it on a regular or PRO?

I decided to save the money and get a regular (again, but the slim model) instead of spending the extra money on the PRO.

Is the VR on a regular model still good enough?

Jovian9

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2003
Planet Zebes

I decided to save the money and get a regular (again, but the slim model) instead of spending the extra money on the PRO.

I'm using it on a regular (slim). I'm fine with it. It's not 4k or anything like that but when playing games the graphics are hardly of any concern to me when I'm immersed in the environment. Some of the games look better than others. I would imagine on the Pro they'll look even better though. But I'm enjoying it on the slim.

And @Dagless; I LOVED Batman Arkham VR. LOVED IT! Wish it was longer and they were doing more. It was simple but very engaging. Playing RE7 at the moment and am enjoying it. I haven't been scared yet (it's hard to get me scared) but I've had a few moments of a little tension/anticipation.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005

I'm on a regular PS4 and it's fine for me! I don't know how these could be improved with the devices current resolution.

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
Do you guys think the PSVR will be compatible with the future PS5?

If the PS5 has backwards compatibility then they could also add PSVR compatibility. It would be a pain buying one and finding it won't work with PS5 if you want to get rid of your PS4.

I'm sure they'll eventually release a second gen PSVR, but it would be awesome if they would let those who bought the first gen use it with the PS5 to keep playing their old VR PS4 games.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

That's a really difficult question. There is no definitive way of knowing it will be compatible or not, being it's uncertain when the release of the PS5 will be. Rumors have said late 2018 for the release of the PS5, but I'm not believing that. I'm thinking more closer to 2019 before the next generation consoles will debut.

And as of lately, Sony has not been following a traditional timeline of their console releases with the Slim and Pro debuting. Which also makes it more difficult to know.

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
Someone offered me a PSVR + PS camera for 300€, 105€ off retail price right now.

I'd really like to buy it, but I'm also debating whether to buy the Switch with Zelda.

My initial intention was to wait more to see more PSVR games released and a discount at some point.

What do you guys think?

twinlight

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2016
I would get the PSVR. Switch + Zelda is about the same price and thats all you ever going to do on that console.

s0nicpr0s

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2010
Illinois

If the PS5 has backwards compatibility then they could also add PSVR compatibility. It would be a pain buying one and finding it won't work with PS5 if you want to get rid of your PS4.

I'm sure they'll eventually release a second gen PSVR, but it would be awesome if they would let those who bought the first gen use it with the PS5 to keep playing their old VR PS4 games.
I don't see why it couldn't work, especially if there is any possibility of backwards compatibility with PS4 games. Since there isn't any special connection between the headset and the console they should work together. Assuming that the PS5 has USB ports and a camera that is (which is quite likely since each generation has had a camera since PS2).

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012

Maybe.

If it does well (it's sold out at a lot of places surprisingly) it will be more integrated into the console not requiring that pass through box thingy. Tough to say if that will make the current version incompatible or not.

They will need to do something because the PSVR pass through can't pass through an HDR signal. There are work arounds but they are kind of hokey imo.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.