Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Roxy.music

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2019
uk
I am trying to get Windows on an external Drive with VM WARE FUSION trying to get *Win to USB
You can’t open the application “WinToUSB_Free.exe” because Microsoft Windows applications are not supported on macOS.
How can i get it to download on my Mac?

barbu

macrumors 65816
Jul 8, 2013
wpg.mb.ca
You are not really going about this the right way.

Download windows from Microsoft. The download is free. You do not need a USB. When you have downloaded the image file, go to Fusion and make a new virtual machine, just follow the wizard. You need to point Fusion to the image file, the rest is very easy.

Roxy.music

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2019
uk
You are not really going about this the right way.

Download windows from Microsoft. The download is free. You do not need a USB. When you have downloaded the image file, go to Fusion and make a new virtual machine, just follow the wizard. You need to point Fusion to the image file, the rest is very easy.
Yes, I know that I don,t want a virtual Windows machine. I want it as a separate independent bootable drive. You need the *Win to USB to make the drive bootable*

barbu

macrumors 65816
Jul 8, 2013
wpg.mb.ca
Then you don’t want VMWare. You want Boot Camp. Fusion has no purpose beyond virtualization.

Roxy.music

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2019
uk
Then you don’t want VMWare. You want Boot Camp. Fusion has no purpose beyond virtualization.
Yes, I would like Bootcamp but unfortunately, my internal SSD is only 256.:(
Vmware Fusion, parallels desktop, VirtualBox
are the only way to get Windows with Bootcamp on an external drive. I have, not tried Virtual box to do it
I wish the guy would speak up and ditch that annoying background music :(And another thing he should clean that screen I don,t know how he can use it like that.:(

Last edited:

Roxy.music

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2019
uk
I like the way these guys go about doing BootCamp to an external drive that is up to date:

I sorted out the problem with the Win to USB by following his video all working up to that point. The nest step is the problem when I click *USB BLUETOOTH* all it says on mine is *USB BLUETOOTH settings* whereas you can see in the photo below his shows lots of things to connect to ? :rolleyes:and his contact Bootcamp SSD is showing in his
Mine is nowhere to seane?:rolleyes:https://9to5mac.com/wp-content/uplo...e-Boot-Camp-External-SSD.jpg?resize=2048,1154 I love all his videos :)I don,t suppose you use VMWARE FUSION? I have put my question on VMWARE Fusion,s forum page, just hope someone has the answer. They're not very helpful on there a MOD told me to put it in the right forum, I am new on there how would I know. I can,t see myself getting an answer on there.:( There could be another way signing up on Jeff,s 9 to 5 utube and asking him.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.