Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ocnetgeek

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 1, 2018
Oak Creek, WI
Before I pull the trigger wanted to get some input on how Vmware Fusion behaves on the 2018 Mac Mini. I currently have a 2015 Macbook pro and running Fusion there causes the Temperature to Spike quite a bit. I used to have a 6 core Mac Pro and that could run the same VM with little to no impact on Temperature or CPU.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Before I pull the trigger wanted to get some input on how Vmware Fusion behaves on the 2018 Mac Mini. I currently have a 2015 Macbook pro and running Fusion there causes the Temperature to Spike quite a bit. I used to have a 6 core Mac Pro and that could run the same VM with little to no impact on Temperature or CPU.
Mac Pros have a lot more room to cool than either the Mac mini or a Mac laptop. You can probably expect the fans to run on a Mini just as they do in the MacBook Pro.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
I can only speak to Parallels (V14), but I'm running a 32GB i7 '18 Mini, using Coherence mode, I almost always have it open (running Win10), with SSMS, VS, IIS, MS-SQL, along with a ton of stuff in MacOS (several services like Postgres, editors, Chrome, Email, iTunes, Messages, Soulver, Preview, Calendar), I've got my Mini sitting on a 140mm, super quiet BB multiple speed fan on medium speed, andFan Control (with all the aforementioned running) is showing 49-52° C

dogslobber

macrumors 601
Oct 19, 2014
Apple Campus, Cupertino CA
Laptops are only designed to run at full cpu utilization for short periods or they heat up and fans start sounding like jet engines. The Mini is much more optimal for those high cpu VMs.

Ocnetgeek

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 1, 2018
Oak Creek, WI
Thanks. I don‘t need to run Fusion all the time but it sounds like the mini will handle it better than the Macbook Pro

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.