Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Roxy.music

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2019
uk
I use Nord. what do you make of the writ by
TorGuard for trying to disclose their own vulnerability to them they counteract it with asking if they can get Tom Spark to stop his utube rants against Nord the guy should get a life. This is one of his rants about
Nord
Personly speaking I have used for just under two years and have had no problem with it. It is good and would recommend it to anyone.

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
ProtonVPN.

The most legit guys I have seen. Most others seem sketchy. The only ones that offer FREE VPN, yup, no limits except speed limits. They are a real company with many employees, not something with 5-10 people running from a basement. They are privacy concerned not profit concerned.

If you don't like them, IPA is known to be the biggest VPN company and many people use them, I wouldn't trust them but huge amounts of people do. There was a case where they were asked to provide data on someone and they found nothing on him which is a proof that IPA does not log anything.

I still prefer ProtonVPN though. You should use ProtonMail too!

Reactions: SandboxGeneral

Roxy.music

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2019
uk
This is the guy who has got it in for Nord VPN, and he puts the boot into Nord in this review about Proton Vpn. He does have a point about a 3-year subscription.
At the end of the day, it is better to have any Vpn than none at all.

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
This is the guy who has got it in for Nord VPN, and he puts the boot into Nord in this review about Proton Vpn. He does have a point about a 3-year subscription.
At the end of the day, it is better to have any Vpn than none at all.

whatever he says, when it comes to VPN, the only thing you need to care about is trust+privacy . I have used other ones which had maybe faster speeds or simpler software, but they are sketchy. Proton is the only legit one who you know who is behind them. They have Instagram page with pictures and they list the names and pictures of their founders and employees.

Again I say this, they are not run by a group of early 20's kids trying to be the next Zuckerberg. The only other company that might be considered legit is IPA. This guy gave 0/5 for reputation. I bet he is going to give "Hide My Ass VPN" 5/5 .

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
Yeh not great news for Nord.. especially since it has happened such a long time ago.

I use VPNs through to my own networks, and for times when that doesn't cover it I use ExpressVPN.

LeeW

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2017
Over here
Give up your data?

You read the article right?

"It’s also believed several other VPN providers may have been breached around the same time. Similar records posted online — and seen by TechCrunch — suggest that TorGuard and VikingVPN may have also been compromised. "

On Twitter:

"'ve also confirmed that that TorGuard was compromised, this TLS certificate for *.torguardvpnaccess.com was leaked: https://crt.sh/?id=241227763 (expired Oct 2018). There's also an OpenVPN server key. (Again, someone gained root access on the server) "

You should never fully trust any VPN provider, but you should also not trust Youtubers pushing another company down your throat like TorGuard as if they are any better.

Reactions: SandboxGeneral

jpn

Cancelled
Feb 9, 2003
another vote for Express VPN.
zero problems. across a score of countries i have used it in.

Reactions: iGeneo

giornall

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2019
United States Latham
Been using Surfshark for the past couple of months, and I have to say that it does the job. The streaming speeds are quite okay, and I do enjoy the unlimited device feature, which means I can split the subscription price with my roommate.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.