Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
There's a patch released today that includes USB Joystick support which may in turn fix your strange problem...

The USB Patch that came out in the Last week, does not seem to make any difference. However, I’ve noticed what then I now to go Settings, where there used to be a joystick selection, now there is just a controller selection. I’ve selected that , but there is no joystick there to choose, although I have my joystick connected and calibrated using the Logitech Profiler program. So Windows and the Logitech Program sees it, just not Valkyrie.

I’d really like to play this game with a joystick. :(

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
The USB Patch that came out in the Last week, does not seem to make any difference. However, I’ve noticed what then I now to go Settings, where there used to be a joystick selection, now there is just a controller selection. I’ve selected that , but there is no joystick there to choose, although I have my joystick connected and calibrated using the Logitech Profiler program. So Windows and the Logitech Program sees it, just not Valkyrie.

I’d really like to play this game with a joystick. :(

Thanks for the heads-up - I haven't played it yet.

I'll give it a try when I get home.

Does your mobo have a BT chip and can you try a BT gamepad? (bypass the USB)

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
I don't know. What is BT and how do you bypass USB?

Bluetooth directly on the motherboard instead of using a Bluetooth adapter on the USB port...
[doublepost=1508968183][/doublepost]This new patch will automatically go into "Controller" Settings if you don't have a controller already set up and one is hooked up to your system.

I also tried a BT Gamepad (my Xbox One Controller) and that of course, also worked and was automatically set up as this game already has an Xbox Controller profile already in there.

I guess you will need to try to get a different controller and try it with that....

Do you have access to a "cheap" controller or gamepad, like those Nintendo or Genesis Retro USB controllers?

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Bluetooth directly on the motherboard instead of using a Bluetooth adapter on the USB port...
[doublepost=1508968183][/doublepost]This new patch will automatically go into "Controller" Settings if you don't have a controller already set up and one is hooked up to your system.

I also tried a BT Gamepad (my Xbox One Controller) and that of course, also worked and was automatically set up as this game already has an Xbox Controller profile already in there.

I guess you will need to try to get a different controller and try it with that....

Do you have access to a "cheap" controller or gamepad, like those Nintendo or Genesis Retro USB controllers?
If I’m understanding you, I really don’t want to be plugging anything directly into the mobo. Would a cheap controller lead to a functional joystick? I can play this game with my Xbox controllers, but don’t want to since I tend to over control with it and don’t want separate controls for roll vs pitch.

Eve Valkyrie tech support sent me a note about the new patch, but I told them, it did not fix the issue so for now I’ll either play other games, or Plan B would be to see what happens with Elite Dangerous. I think the biggest advantage as well as possible disadvantage might be looking over your shoulder (if it invokes nausea). As I recall, it would be pretty convenient to play the ED tutorial where you fight different ships. This would allow me to try out the sticks on this game and experiment without jeopardy. I’ll report back.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
If I’m understanding you, I really don’t want to be plugging anything directly into the mobo. Would a cheap controller lead to a functional joystick? I can play this game with my Xbox controllers, but don’t want to since I tend to over control with it and don’t want separate controls for roll vs pitch.

Eve Valkyrie tech support sent me a note about the new patch, but I told them, it did not fix the issue so for now I’ll either play other games, or Plan B would be to see what happens with Elite Dangerous. I think the biggest advantage as well as possible disadvantage might be looking over your shoulder (if it invokes nausea). As I recall, it would be pretty convenient to play the ED tutorial where you fight different ships. This would allow me to try out the sticks on this game and experiment without jeopardy. I’ll report back.

Bluetooth is wireless. Some motherboards have a Bluetooth controller on it. If you don't, you have to use a USB adapter and that is like going through USB anyways.

You said EVE works with an Xbox controller - wired or wireless (that would be Bluetooth if you have a newer Xbox One controller)?

I was just suggesting a cheap controller on USB to see if it has anything to do with your USB joysticks.

Have you tried just using the joysticks without the driver software and just using the built-in Windows 10 software with the updated EVE?

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Bluetooth is wireless. Some motherboards have a Bluetooth controller on it. If you don't, you have to use a USB adapter and that is like going through USB anyways.

You said EVE works with an Xbox controller - wired or wireless (that would be Bluetooth if you have a newer Xbox One controller)?

I was just suggesting a cheap controller on USB to see if it has anything to do with your USB joysticks.

Have you tried just using the joysticks without the driver software and just using the built-in Windows 10 software with the updated EVE?

How do I verify or make sure I’m just using W10 drivers with the stick and not logitech’s Drivers? As a rule, when I’ve launchd Ever Valkyrie, I don’t launch the Logitech software, and it does not appear in the Task Manager, when not running. Btw the xBox 1 Controller has a stick I plug into my USB port that communicates with the controller. That’s Blue Tooth?

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
How do I verify or make sure I’m just using W10 drivers with the stick and not logitech’s Drivers? As a rule, when I’ve launchd Ever Valkyrie, I don’t launch the Logitech software, and it does not appear in the Task Manager, when not running. Btw the xBox 1 Controller has a stick I plug into my USB port that communicates with the controller. That’s Blue Tooth?

Go into the Apps in "Settings" and delete the Logitech program...

No, only newer Xbox One Controllers that came with and released after the Xbox One S are BT...

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Go into the Apps in "Settings" and delete the program...

No, only newer Xbox One Controllers that came with and released after the Xbox One S are BT...

I went to device manager and found the Logitech Extreme 3D Pro located under HID (Human Interface Device) and a second version listed as Logitech Extreme 3D Pro USB also listed under HID. When I check the USB device, status: working properly. The driver is provided by Logitech dated 4/27/2010, which is quite old, but the section that says update driver is blank. I'll go see if there is a newer driver at logitech.

What is the difference between HID and USB? I mean I know what USB is, but what about HID, I know what that stands for, but does this have to do with how it's hooked to the computer?

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
I went to device manager and found the Logitech Extreme 3D Pro located under HID (Human Interface Device) and a second version listed as Logitech Extreme 3D Pro USB also listed under HID. When I check the USB device, status: working properly. The driver is provided by Logitech dated 4/27/2010, which is quite old, but the section that says update driver is blank. I'll go see if there is a newer driver at logitech.

What is the difference between HID and USB? I mean I know what USB is, but what about HID?

USB - Universal Serial Bus - used for HID's, printers, scanners, etc.

HID - Human Interface Device - keyboards, mouse, joysticks, etc...

Unplug your controllers, Delete anything Logitech in the Apps, restart the computer, plug your controllers back in...

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
USB - Universal Serial Bus - used for HID's, printers, scanners, etc.

HID - Human Interface Device - keyboards, mouse, joysticks, etc...

Unplug your controllers, Delete anything Logitech in the Apps, restart the computer, plug your controllers back in...
Keep in mind that recently trying to get Valkyrie to work with the Logitech stick, I only installed the Logitech software to verify the stick was working, so the problem existed before the Logitech software appeared. :)

Ok I've done what you suggested and no joy. :(
I've removed the Logitech Config software, restarted, plugged the logitech stick in and under Device Manager it is listed as functioning properly. There are 3 drivers listed for it manufacturer: Microsoft: \system32\DRIVERS\hidclass.sys, hid parse.sys, and hides.sys. When I unplug the stick, it is no longer listed in Device Manager as a HID.

When I launch the game under settings, controllers, there are two choices: Keyboard & Mouse, and Controller which looks like an xbox controller. I don't have my xbox controller plugged in, but all of the input types are xbox controller settings, things like Right Bumper, the standard xbox button letters. I also tried to use my stick to put entries into both this and the keyboard settings choice and it registered some funky input, but not what I needed to use the stick. :(
[doublepost=1509064174][/doublepost]@gkarris, I am working on updating my key binding notes to jump back into Elite Dangerous in the near future to prove to myself that my sticks still work, but also to check this out in VR.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
Keep in mind that recently trying to get Valkyrie to work with the Logitech stick, I only installed the Logitech software to verify the stick was working, so the problem existed before the Logitech software appeared. :)

Ok I've done what you suggested and no joy. :(
I've removed the Logitech Config software, restarted, plugged the logitech stick in and under Device Manager it is listed as functioning properly. There are 3 drivers listed for it manufacturer: Microsoft: \system32\DRIVERS\hidclass.sys, hid parse.sys, and hides.sys. When I unplug the stick, it is no longer listed in Device Manager as a HID.

When I launch the game under settings, controllers, there are two choices: Keyboard & Mouse, and Controller which looks like an xbox controller. I don't have my xbox controller plugged in, but all of the input types are xbox controller settings, things like Right Bumper, the standard xbox button letters. I also tried to use my stick to put entries into both this and the keyboard settings choice and it registered some funky input, but not what I needed to use the stick. :(
[doublepost=1509064174][/doublepost]@gkarris, I am working on updating my key binding notes to jump back into Elite Dangerous in the near future to prove to myself that my sticks still work, but also to check this out in VR.

Yeah, something wierd.

I forgot to mention that when I launched the new software, it say my Logitech stick attached and asked to go directly into that setting to set it up.

For some reason, your controllers are not being recognized.

Do you have another USB Controller to try?

I was at MicroCenter yesterday and they had NES USB controllers for $9 you can at least try - make sure it is not your joysticks.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004

What is the difference between HID and USB? I mean I know what USB is, but what about HID, I know what that stands for, but does this have to do with how it's hooked to the computer?

A USB Joystick specific patch was released yesterday if that helps...

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Yeah, something wierd.

I forgot to mention that when I launched the new software, it say my Logitech stick attached and asked to go directly into that setting to set it up.

For some reason, your controllers are not being recognized.

Do you have another USB Controller to try?

I was at MicroCenter yesterday and they had NES USB controllers for $9 you can at least try - make sure it is not your joysticks.

A USB Joystick specific patch was released yesterday if that helps...

I have a USB Mouse, USB Razer Nostromo, a wired Xbox 360 controller, and a wireless USB Xbox 1 controller, all are recognized in Windows. I've tried two different sticks with the game, the CH Combat Stick and the Logitech. Both sticks are seen by Windows and their respective configuration software. I got an email from EV Tech Support advising me of the USB patch. I know they are working on it, but I don't have a clue what the problem is. :( I appreciate the help though! :)

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
I have a USB Mouse, USB Razer Nostromo, a wired Xbox 360 controller, and a wireless USB Xbox 1 controller, all are recognized in Windows. I've tried two different sticks with the game, the CH Combat Stick and the Logitech. Both sticks are seen by Windows and their respective configuration software. I got an email from EV Tech Support advising me of the USB patch. I know they are working on it, but I don't have a clue what the problem is. :( I appreciate the help though! :)

The mouse and Xbox controllers would obviously work as they are directly supported by the game.

Does the Nostromo come up as a keypad or a gamepad and does that work? If a keypad then that is abviously supported.

I was saying try a totally different USB controller to see if that works (non-MS but PC compatible).

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
The mouse and Xbox controllers would obviously work as they are directly supported by the game.

Does the Nostromo come up as a keypad or a gamepad and does that work? If a keypad then that is abviously supported.

I was saying try a totally different USB controller to see if that works (non-MS but PC compatible).
The Nostromo is not seen by EV, but is seen by the multitude of other games I play. This appears to be a problem unique to this game. I should have Elite Dangerous up and running soon, and then I’ll know more about these sticks.

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
@gkarris, I launched a training mission today in Elite Dangerous using my CH Combat Stick, no issues at all, other than there are so many damned controls to learn. ;) I'll start off in a non-VR environment. Why do they have to make landing in a space station such an ordeal? I want AP landings. :p

Note stick not recognized in EV.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
@gkarris, I launched a training mission today in Elite Dangerous using my CH Combat Stick, no issues at all, other than there are so many damned controls to learn. ;) I'll start off in a non-VR environment. Why do they have to make landing in a space station such an ordeal? I want AP landings. :p

Note stick not recognized in EV.

Yes, you would think with Interstellar Travel, the ships would have more automatic functions (my problem also with Star Citizen).

It sounds like EV doesn't like your two sticks for some reason - you'll have to contact them. We've exhausted everything short of you trying a totally different computer...

Reactions: Huntn

garnerx

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2012
You've been able to get a docking computer in Elite since the original version in 1984. Press a button, it lands in the station. (But you might as well watch a youtube video of the game, docking is great!)

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Posted on Eve Valkyrie Steam News. I guess VR was too much for them... Now the not funny thing is I can't get my stick to work in the Valkyrie non-VR environment. I do see a new patch has been published and will try the game again.

This was posted in Eve:Valkyrie- Warzone, Steam News:

By Wesley Yin-Poole Published 30/10/2017

Eve Online developer CCP has pulled out of virtual reality development, a move that affects some 100 or so staff.

The Icelandic company had invested heavily in VR games, with Eve Online spin-off Valkyrie, Gunjack and PSVR exclusive Sparc betting big on the tech. But CCP has now decided to halt VR production to concentrate on Eve Online.

Icelandic business publication mbl.is reports 100 of CCP's 370 staff are affected by the move. The Atlanta office, which worked on Sparc, is closed. The Newcastle office, which worked on Eve Valkyrie, is up for sale.

"It's always hard to do such actions but they are important and if we want the company to reach 30 years, we sometimes need to make policy and organisational changes," CCP boss Hilmar Veigar Pétursson is quoted as saying.

Last edited:

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
Posted on Eve Valkyrie Steam News. I guess VR was too much for them... Now the not funny thing is I can't get my stick to work in the Valkyrie non-VR environment. I do see a new patch has been published and will try the game again.

This was posted in Eve:Valkyrie- Warzone, Steam News:

By Wesley Yin-Poole Published 30/10/2017

Eve Online developer CCP has pulled out of virtual reality development, a move that affects some 100 or so staff.

The Icelandic company had invested heavily in VR games, with Eve Online spin-off Valkyrie, Gunjack and PSVR exclusive Sparc betting big on the tech. But CCP has now decided to halt VR production to concentrate on Eve Online.

Icelandic business publication mbl.is reports 100 of CCP's 370 staff are affected by the move. The Atlanta office, which worked on Sparc, is closed. The Newcastle office, which worked on Eve Valkyrie, is up for sale.

"It's always hard to do such actions but they are important and if we want the company to reach 30 years, we sometimes need to make policy and organisational changes," CCP boss Hilmar Veigar Pétursson is quoted as saying.

Yeah, Devs now require a constant stream of in-game income and VR games don't really deliver that...

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.