Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
If you are using VR technology, please list your favorite title, description/genre, which VR unit and Platform. I looked today and none of the sandbox games (AAR: Survival Evolved, Conan Exiles, Dark and Light) I'm playing are listed as VR, but maybe I missed that in their description. I'm creating a list n this post compiling submissions.

Updates
  • 30Sep17- Added Lone Echo, along with garnerx and Unami's choices.

My Choices based on first hand experience:

• Elite Dangerous- space sim/sandbox, PC, OR, running on GTX 970, i5 4670, 24Gb Ram, preferred controller- joystick; spectacular! Truth in advertising, I've quit this game twice based on grind.
  • Eve: Gunjack- (VR:mild, available on Steam, possibly in the Occulus store?) Do you remember the early days of computer gaming and top down, scrolling shooters, where dozens of enemies fly at you in strings of various shapes? Reference these links: Defining Shmups, Best Side Scrolling Shooters. This is in essence what Gunjack is, a fast paced shooter in a VR environment as you man a gun turret in a patrol ship defending a space mining corporation's interests. Aim via head tracking and squeeze the trigger as dozens (more?) of hostile drones attack you in various formations. Besides accuracy, and notvwasting your ammo, the strategy is timing your reloads. While there is ton of action and movement in front of you, you fight from a stable platform. I've had no issues with nausea, although I did read a complaint in Steam forums about the head tracking aiming. Which amazes me because this is the prime advantage in the VR environment

• Google Earth (free, Oculus Store)- (VR Mild). OK, not a game, but impressive VR environment, with tours that take you around the world. If I have a critique, it's that the initial views of a location, rendered in 3D look more like a clay model, and it takes a long time to render, illustrating that this technology is on the edge for my hardware. :) Maybe it would reach something that looks more real, if I'd wait. ;) You have the ability to navigate around the initial view and pull up a corresponding street view. When you switch to street view you'll see a photo of the location. My computer is not nearly as fluid as the portrayal in this video.
  • Lone Echo- I was not truly amazed until I launched Lone Echo, a story set in the rings of Saturn on a space based mining ship where you are a robot a helping the human Captain of the ship, discover an anomaly, deal with a power surge on the ship, and sort out a mystery, and in the process navigate this impressively large VR space, fixing systems that are broken, and I'm not far enough into it yet to say more.

However the environment is simply amazing, it is what VR was designed for. You are not looking at the interior of a ship from the flat perspective of your 32" monitor, you are frick'n inside that ship. The flight deck three dimensional, looks like it's about 30' wide and maybe 50' deep, and from there you visit different parts of the ship, the cargo hold, the hydroponics garden, which is not anywhere close to Silent Running (the movie), but it is still impressive. So far working with the Captain, I've fixed several on-board systems, and am about to examine the power core.

You move around the ship either pushing or pulling yourself (zero gravity) or using your wrist thrusters. I'm sure some of it has to do with VR being a new or even a novelty, but just being in this ship is cool. I can't wait until I go outside if I'm not too afraid to. :)
  • garnerx Choices (post 25)
    I've been trying racing games in VR...

-Dirt Rally - very nice in VR, although the default settings only gave me 45 fps. Turned a few things down to get it back up to 90. You get a 2D menu screen between races and can assign a button to reset the viewpoint if you find you're stuck inside your driver's neck. Good sense of speed, quite difficult to stay on the track when you're really going for it. Progression through the various series is painfully slow, though. It takes ages to unlock new cars, I've kind of run out of patience with this one.

-Assetto Corsa
    - rough in VR, you must remove the headset to navigate menus on the monitor, and resetting the viewpoint (which you have to do before every race) involves exiting to use the Oculus app. Graphics look washed out in the default settings, I had to download a visual mod and do a lot of tweaking to get it looking acceptable. Even then, it's hard to see other cars' brake lights at a distance. But it's often in the Steam sales, I got the whole thing with a ton of DLC for peanuts. There's loads of content, it's fun to drive, the sound is brilliant and it has the best force feedback.

-iRacing - I hoped to avoid this since it can get ridiculously expensive but in the end I'm glad I gave in to temptation. It definitely has the best VR implementation, everything is adjustable in the headset and the VR interface places you in the track environment, which looks great. It doesn't have such flashy graphics as the other two but that's actually beneficial in VR as it's by far the sharpest and clearest. I can run everything at maximum, and it also has proper 3D mirrors, which the other two don't. If somebody ever designs a driving game specifically for VR, this is what it should look like.
  • gkarris choices: (post 2)
    Star Wars Battlefront Rogue One VR Mission
    EVE Valkyrie
    EVE Gunjack
    COD Infinite Warfare Jackal Assault

• Raketemench choices: (Post 7)
    CCP's Sparc is out for PSVR now, and getting raves. It's basically Discs of Tron without the lawsuits, and should be coming out for more platforms soon.

Dirt Rally in VR is the best experience I've had so far. It's got incredible immersion and is an actual challenge -- the cars are fast, the tracks are demanding, and you have to learn the "language" of your navigator as he shouts out his notes about the track.

It's not your average racing game by any stretch, and the first time you overshoot a corner and head over a cliff in VR...

• AlvinDarkness choices: (post 12)
    Headset and controllers: Oculus Rift + Touch
    Favourite paid for games -:
    - Robo Recall
    <- Favourite game so far. Doesnt take too long to complete, but hell of a ride.
    - Eleven: Table Tennis <- Simple, but find I can play for hours on end, and do.

Notable mentions -:
    - Lone Echo, or even Echo Arena <- The mechanics of floating in zero g and pushing yourself off walls is great. The gameplay in lone echo is just a tad tedious for my liking though - but still worth a play through.
    - The Climb <- I find it fun in short bursts. Graphics could be better, but gameplay isnt bad.

Favourite free games/apps available on steam -:
    - The Lab <- for the archery/castle defense alone, heaps of fun. Great intro to VR.
    - Google Earth VR <- even better now with the street view update.

Favourite "experiences" -:
    - The Wave VR <- live concerts with decent visuals, social gatherings etc.
    - Fantasynth <- a quick (7 minute) audio/visual experience
    - Senza Peso <- another quick audio/visual experience, with a bit of floating around.

• Unami (post 27)
    - SuperhotVR imho the most fun PSVR game yet.
    - Statik - great puzzler, great use of the playstation’s sixaxis controller
    - I expect you to die - another nice „sit down“ puzzler
    - Driveclub VR on PS4pro - fun racer, if you got a driving wheel, but really bad graphics on normal PS4 (they are not great on ps4pro either, but elevated to „playable“)
    - Psychonauts and the Rhombus of Ruin - good looking puzzler, unfortunately too short and too easy
    - Dirt Rally - as others said, pretty good game, but also pretty hard. The graphics are not too hot on PSVR.
    -Windlands- not really a good game, but a good test whether you‘ve already got your VR legs: „Windlands“ (turn off any „helper“ functions)

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
(No order - PSVR)
Star Wars Battlefront Rogue One VR Mission
EVE Valkyrie
EVE Gunjack
COD Infinite Warfare Jackal Assault

Are the Eve titles PVP dogfighting space sims?

I may stop at the Microsoft store today and take the OR out on a test drive. I'm still concerned about controllers. I've got a Razer Nostromo and Gaming mouse with beaucoup buttons and am wondering how this translates to VR...

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
Are the Eve titles PVP dogfighting space sims?

I may stop at the Microsoft store today and take the OR out on a test drive. I'm still concerned about controllers. I've got a Razer Nostromo and Gaming mouse with beaucoup buttons and am wondering how this translates to VR...

All of the games I listed are, with the exception of EVE Gunjack - it is more a get thrown in a pod outside the ship and shoot incoming hostiles (aiming with your head). Gunjack is only $10...

I didn't list Battlezone or RIGS since I'm starting to take a liking to 6DOF VR flying games over games that are "on the ground".

I got Starblood Arena VR "used" at Amazon Warehouse for $15 (though it seems "new" to me) and for that price, I like it more than I thought (glad I didn't pay the $30 for it).

Hopefully, with the help of Sony, No Mans Sky will add VR to their game...

People are also waiting for Elite Dangerous for the PS4 to add VR to that - I hear it is awesome in VR.

It is too bad that MS is making VR a "PC Only Experience"... Turn-key VR experience on a console is pretty awesome...

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
If there was a good survival sandbox title, I might be compelled to try VR sooner than later. The Eve dog fight game and Gunjack seems to have potential. Controls are still an issue in my mind. :)

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
If there was a good survival sandbox title, I might be compelled to try VR sooner than later. The Eve dog fight game and Gunjack seems to have potential. Controls are still an issue in my mind. :)

Gunjack is out for PSVR and it's only $10 - a fun, fun game. It would get people interested in EVE and buy the Spaceflight one...

Raketemensch

macrumors member
May 17, 2013
Tralfamadore
CCP's Sparc is out for PSVR now, and getting raves. It's basically Discs of Tron without the lawsuits, and should be coming out for more platforms soon.

Dirt Rally in VR is the best experience I've had so far. It's got incredible immersion and is an actual challenge -- the cars are fast, the tracks are demanding, and you have to learn the "language" of your navigator as he shouts out his notes about the track.

It's not your average racing game by any stretch, and the first time you overshoot a corner and head over a cliff in VR...

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Looking at this list of games:
Best Oculus Rift games (August 2017)

Anyone familiar with Edge of No Where, Chronos, The Climb, Damaged Core, or The Mage's Tale?
[doublepost=1505744013][/doublepost]

I always get that sinking feeling in any game when I fall. It's interesting that I know it's a game but my stomach still flutters. I imagine in VR, it's worse! :)

What kind of controller are you using for Dirt Rally?
[doublepost=1505744330][/doublepost]
Gunjack is out for PSVR and it's only $10 - a fun, fun game. It would get people interested in EVE and buy the Spaceflight one...
While figuring out my best control setup for ED and VR practicing the tutorials again, I might start out with Gun Jack, move to Valkyrie, and dabble with ED.

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Get your headset on a Friday night and hook it up and get it too work with Gunjack...

Devote the rest of the weekend to Valkyrie and ED... ;)
If this is what you are talking about -> There is a built in headset with the OR. Someone told me it was a hot mike, which for solo, might be ok, but I much prefer a talk button if possible for future multiplayer use.

alvindarkness

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2009

- "Robo Recall" <- Favourite game so far. Doesnt take too long to complete, but hell of a ride.
- "Eleven: Table Tennis". <- Simple, but find I can play for hours on end, and do.

Notable mentions -:
- "Lone Echo", or even "Echo Arena" <- The mechanics of floating in zero g and pushing yourself off walls is great. The gameplay in lone echo is just a tad tedious for my liking though - but still worth a play through.
- "The Climb" <- I find it fun in short bursts. Graphics could be better, but gameplay isnt bad.

- "The Lab" <- for the archery/castle defense alone, heaps of fun. Great intro to VR.
- "Google Earth VR" <- even better now with the street view update.

- "The Wave VR" <- live concerts with decent visuals, social gatherings etc.
- "Fantasynth" <- a quick (7 minute) audio/visual experience
- "Senza Peso" <- another quick audio/visual experience, with a bit of floating around.

Reactions: Huntn

SvenSvenson

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2007
All PSVR:

Battlezone : awesome in multiplayer. Can get lost I;for for over 2 hours if you have a good team.
Eve: Valkyrie : very good space combat sim. Some really convincing 'vertigo' moments as you sweep over a huge spacecraft and then bank around the side.
Before Dawn : Rush of Blood. Great fun on-rails error shooter. Genuinely creepy.
Resident Evil : Literally too scary to play. An insane advert for the immersion that VR can offer.
R.I.G.S. - great fun sports/FPS with robots and currently free.
Honourable mentions to Apollo 11, Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes and others.

Last edited:

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
If you are using VR technology, please list your favorite title, description/genre, which VR unit and Platform. I looked today and none of the sandbox games (AAR: Survival Evolved, Conan Exiles, Dark and Light) I'm playing are listed as VR, but maybe I missed that in their description. I create a list n this post compiling submissions. Something like

• Elite Dangerous- space sim/sandbox, PC, OR, running on GTX 970, i5 4670, 24Gb Ram, preferred controller- joystick; spectacular!
Falcon 4.0 BMS 4.33

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
GunJack help- Awesome looking game, but I'm feeling a bit stupid. I've got the game running, but I can't figure out how to use the OR Touch Controllers, or an Xbox controller. Am I supposed to be using keyboard mouse? It says press RT (right trigger?) to start, but the right trigger on my OR Touch controller is not doing it. Help! :p I notice that it's not really possible to interact with the game on my monitor, so how do you change settings, within the VR environment?
Thanks!

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
A very interesting review write up (3rd one down written by North Wolf) of Eve:Valkyrie on the Steam Store Page, addressing pay to win elements in a game you paid for... I plan on getting it, but that's bull imo.

GunJack help- Awesome looking game, but I'm feeling a bit stupid. I've got the game running, but I can't figure out how to use the OR Touch Controllers, or an Xbox controller. Am I supposed to be using keyboard mouse? It says press RT (right trigger?) to start, but the right trigger on my OR Touch controller is not doing it. Help! :p I notice that it's not really possible to interact with the game on my monitor, so how do you change settings, within the VR environment?
Thanks!

Over at the Oculus Forum I asked this question and was asked if I had paired the Touch Controllers. Well I had, but I went through the setup a second time and now the game responds to the Touch Controllers. :)

For those of you familiar with the OR software, is there a routine of configuring a controller (Touch or xbox controller)n for a new game that you go through? If so, please talk about this.

I assume with a game like ED, you configure the HOTAS controls in the non-VR environment, launch the game, and then make do by feel.

For Valkyrie, which I'll be looking at next, I'm not sure what needs to be done to get one of my xbox controllers to be seen by the game. Maybe it will just happen? ;)

Last edited:

garnerx

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2012
I assume with a game like ED, you configure the HOTAS controls in the non-VR environment, launch the game, and then make do by feel.
You don't ever need to take the headset off with Elite, VR is very well integrated so you can access all of the settings and menus while wearing it.

Reactions: Huntn

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Falcon 4.0 BMS 4.33

Are either of these VR games?

- "Robo Recall" <- Favourite game so far. Doesnt take too long to complete, but hell of a ride.
- "Eleven: Table Tennis". <- Simple, but find I can play for hours on end, and do.

Notable mentions -:
- "Lone Echo", or even "Echo Arena" <- The mechanics of floating in zero g and pushing yourself off walls is great. The gameplay in lone echo is just a tad tedious for my liking though - but still worth a play through.
- "The Climb" <- I find it fun in short bursts. Graphics could be better, but gameplay isnt bad.

- "The Lab" <- for the archery/castle defense alone, heaps of fun. Great intro to VR.
- "Google Earth VR" <- even better now with the street view update.

- "The Wave VR" <- live concerts with decent visuals, social gatherings etc.
- "Fantasynth" <- a quick (7 minute) audio/visual experience
- "Senza Peso" <- another quick audio/visual experience, with a bit of floating around.

Lone Echo looks really intriguing for a VR environment! Crawling around on a space ship...
lone-echo-3.jpg

[doublepost=1506001605][/doublepost]I've updated post 1 with a list of those who have submitted to the thread and added these based on my experience:

Eve: Gunjack- (VR:mild, available on Steam, possibly in the Occulus store?) Do you remember the early days of computer gaming and top down, scrolling shooters, where dozens of enemies fly at you in strings of various shapes? Reference these links: Defining Shmups, Best Side Scrolling Shooters. This is in essence what Gunjack is, a fast paced shooter in a VR environment as you man a gun turret in a patrol ship defending a space mining corporation's interests. Aim via head tracking and squeeze the trigger as dozens (more?) of hostile drones attack you in various formations. Besides accuracy, and notvwasting your ammo, the strategy is timing your reloads. While there is ton of action and movement in front of you, you fight from a stable platform. I've had no issues with nausea, although I did read a complaint in Steam forums about the head tracking aiming. Which amazes me because this is the prime advantage in the VR environment.

Google Earth (free, Oculus Store)- (VR Mild). Impressive in a VR environment, with tours that take you around the world. If I have a critique, it's that the initial views of a location, rendered in 3D look more like a clay model, and it takes a long time to render, illustrating that this technology is on the edge for my hardware. :) Maybe it would reach something that looks more real, if I'd wait. ;) You have the ability to navigate around the initial view and pull up a corresponding street view. When you switch to street view you'll see a photo of the location. My computer is not nearly as fluid as the portrayal in this video.

Last edited:

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
Are either of these VR games?
Old school VR. Cockpit simulator capable. TrackIR connected to headset to allow VR like movement. As you look around the environment shifts. But does not work with OcularRift... well, a couple of people got it working with the old rift but the resolution was too low to read the cockpit gauges.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Old school VR. Cockpit simulator capable. TrackIR connected to headset to allow VR like movement. As you look around the environment shifts. But does not work with OcularRift... well, a couple of people got it working with the old rift but the resolution was too low to read the cockpit gauges.

In one of these threads a video was posted of a ED setup that cost thousands if not ten thousand or more. I commented that with VR, this kind of setup for immersion purposes may no longer be needed. However, the touchy feely hardware would still be an advantage, controls you can look at that are not virtual.

That's the other issue, the Oculus Rift is not quite up to the task of providing sparkling resolution. Anxious to see what the second generation brings.

garnerx

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2012
I've been trying racing games in VR, it's a natural fit for the technology. You lose some resolution compared to playing on a monitor but the feeling of being right there in the driving seat is worth it. I had intended to buy Forza 7 but after trying the demo it seems like a massive downgrade to go back to racing on a flat screen.

Dirt Rally - very nice in VR, although the default settings only gave me 45 fps. Turned a few things down to get it back up to 90. You get a 2D menu screen between races and can assign a button to reset the viewpoint if you find you're stuck inside your driver's neck. Good sense of speed, quite difficult to stay on the track when you're really going for it. Progression through the various series is painfully slow, though. It takes ages to unlock new cars, I've kind of run out of patience with this one.

Assetto Corsa - rough in VR, you must remove the headset to navigate menus on the monitor, and resetting the viewpoint (which you have to do before every race) involves exiting to use the Oculus app. Graphics look washed out in the default settings, I had to download a visual mod and do a lot of tweaking to get it looking acceptable. Even then, it's hard to see other cars' brake lights at a distance. But it's often in the Steam sales, I got the whole thing with a ton of DLC for peanuts. There's loads of content, it's fun to drive, the sound is brilliant and it has the best force feedback.

iRacing - I hoped to avoid this since it can get ridiculously expensive but in the end I'm glad I gave in to temptation. It definitely has the best VR implementation, everything is adjustable in the headset and the VR interface places you in the track environment, which looks great. It doesn't have such flashy graphics as the other two but that's actually beneficial in VR as it's by far the sharpest and clearest. I can run everything at maximum, and it also has proper 3D mirrors, which the other two don't. If somebody ever designs a driving game specifically for VR, this is what it should look like.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.